NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Nov 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #541 of 1,623
Compared the DAC sections ? No. Hooked the Oppo to the M51 for sonic bliss ? Several.

Here's one I had my manservant type up earlier:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/dacs/dacs-reviews/nad-m51-direct-digital-dac/page-3-in-use.html

There is also a discussion of the Oppo/NAD combination in the early pages of this monster thread and another via Google (BDP-83, from memory).

Yes, the DAC sections. I read the article you linked, but again the Oppo was not compared to the M51 as a DAC. I'm surprised several have the Oppo hooked up to the M51 without testing/ commenting on the DAC section differences?

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #542 of 1,623
Technically, they are both 'sources' but the M51 needs a transport - the Oppo doesnt. Commonsense stuff, but for me the obvious comparison would be :

1. NAD M50 Digital Music Player -> M51 DAC
2. Oppo BDP-95

Same amps/speakers/phones etc and may the best 'combination' win. Bang for buck, its going to be tough for the NAD combo to top the Oppo, although I have seen some complaints re quality control on the older Oppo universal players.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #544 of 1,623

I have a question regarding the HDMI input; if fed a 5.1 dts-HD Master soundtrack from a blu-ray player, will the M51 automatically down mix to stereo for the analog output, and if so will it knock it down to dts core or keep the HD resolution? What about Dolby True-HD?

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #545 of 1,623
According to What-Hifi, "The inclusion of dual HDMI inputs ... means the M51 can strip the two-channel PCM audio off the signal from a Blu-ray player and pass the picture through, or take a high bitrate feed from a DVD-A or SACD disc."

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #546 of 1,623
Have been browsing on the stereophile website, looking over the measurements for different DACs.
Got to say that the M51 measurements are amazing. I don't exactly know how important the shape of a recreated 1k sinusoidal wave is, But I would guess that he closer it resemble it look like a perfect wave the better the sound would be, not taking into consideration noise levels.
Just look at the M51 compared to for example the wavelenght proton (which looks horrible)

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #547 of 1,623
Theta chroma I had one of those too way back.It was a pretty good unit at the time.I later moved on to the pro basic lll which was a lot better,especially in balanced operation with the stax pro lamdas with their tube amp.It was pretty dynamic sounding at the time.Thanks that brought back some memories of old.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #548 of 1,623
Quote:
Have been browsing on the stereophile website, looking over the measurements for different DACs.
Got to say that the M51 measurements are amazing. I don't exactly know how important the shape of a recreated 1k sinusoidal wave is, But I would guess that he closer it resemble it look like a perfect wave the better the sound would be, not taking into consideration noise levels.
Just look at the M51 compared to for example the wavelenght proton (which looks horrible)

You're comparing apples and oranges. The M51 graph is taken at -90dB with 24 bit data, whereas the Proton graph is taken at -90dB with 16 bit data. (The M51 does still look better when compared with 16 bit data, just not quite that much better.) The M51 definitely measures better in nearly all respects, except time domain performance.

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #549 of 1,623
Trying to run this with a new Mac mini -- can anyone shoot me the firmware update? Not much luck with NAD customer service...

best,

o

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #550 of 1,623
I am running it with the previous version OS and had no problem. sorry you are having problems. Good luck. Once it works, I think it is amazing.

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #551 of 1,623
Hi Guys,

Sorry to jump in to the ongoing discussion, I am thinking of getting a M51 as an upgrade to my current setup. Reading through previous posts, I think this thread is where most of M51 expert users are, hence my post.

I had shortlisted W4S DAC2, Benchmark DAC2 and NAD M51 but having read all the posts so far, I am very inclined towards the NAD now.

Currently I have the Logitech Transporter feeding a passive TVC Pre and directly onto my twin monoblocks via balanced connections which I have to admit does sound pretty good but with average recordings, it all sounds a bit too edgy. I am wondering whether the warmth that M51 brings will balance things out but I am finding it difficult to get a dealer to demo the transporter and M51 side-by-side so if anyone out there has done a comparison or has any comments to add, it would really help.

The transporter is extremely transparent, brings out a wide and deep sound stage and the instrument separation is good so I really don't want to take a step back and lose some of these traits when I upgrade so any and all comments will be very welcome.

Thanks

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #552 of 1,623
sorry. i have only compared ps audio dl iii, onkyo sr tx 806 onboard DAC and the m51. in my system, the m51 is a better almost all around, but i cannot say that it is better with poor recordings. if yu are looking for good imaging and extension m51 is a good choice -- but that  is all i can really say. good luck. and keep us posted,

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #553 of 1,623
Right, got to concede, I can't really justify the outlay on either the AP2+PP or the Legato, so I need another option that will work in between the SBT + EDO and M51 - thinking of going for a Hiface 2 and AQVOX PSU as that comes in at under £250. I take it the best option is to get the RCA version and just go straight digital coax RCA to RCA? I'd only need a very short coax cable too as the SBT sits on top of the M51 - suggestions (nothing esoteric!) welcome.

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #554 of 1,623
Quote:
Trying to run this with a new Mac mini -- can anyone shoot me the firmware update? Not much luck with NAD customer service...

best,

o

There's an aussie audio forum where a member has the install file for the newest version available and instructions on how to update it - I think it's Stereo.au or something - just search the NAD M51 thread. I might as the dealer I bought mine from if they can send me the file as I'm not driving half-way up the country just for a firmware update that literally just involves plugging a USB key in with an executable file and pressing a couple of buttons, it's ridiculous.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #555 of 1,623
Quote:

There's an aussie audio forum where a member has the install file for the newest version available and instructions on how to update it - I think it's Stereo.au or something - just search the NAD M51 thread. I might as the dealer I bought mine from if they can send me the file as I'm not driving half-way up the country just for a firmware update that literally just involves plugging a USB key in with an executable file and pressing a couple of buttons, it's ridiculous.

Thanks, S. I'll have a gander at Stereo.au site. It's such a fine DAC -- I don't understand why they don't make the firmware available on their site. Absurd.

best,

s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back