NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Sep 1, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #481 of 1,623
Just wanted to add that I heard  back from NAD and they said that it is a normal thing, but it may improve a bit with burn-in. I also want to emphasize that 0dB is enough to blow out your ear drums on most systems. Finally, as I am listening to this DAC through my system, I am amazed at the level of detail it is able to present in a holographic 3D layout. I strongly recommend it!

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #482 of 1,623
Has anyone got a comparison with Vioelectric V800?

I wonder if it is worth going for NAD as  it is 50% more EUR.

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #483 of 1,623
When I've asked about comparison between V800 and W4$ DAC-2, replied that W4$ is better (transperency and detailed). 
And here in this thread I received a reply that M51 is better than W4S.
Hope this helps.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #484 of 1,623
1 How is the reliability record of NAD products as it comes only with 2 y warranty?

2 Also as it has HDMI input and output would you say it is better compared to USB when connecting to PC as a source?

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #485 of 1,623
Quote:
1 How is the reliability record of NAD products as it comes only with 2 y warranty?

2 Also as it has HDMI input and output would you say it is better compared to USB when connecting to PC as a source?

i think i can help here,ive had m51 for months now with no problems and hdmi seems to be best sounding for me from laptop,i have squeezebox touch which sounds great but hdmi from pc takes m51 to another level,my only complaint is nad wont release firmware updates for customers to update themselves,your expected to take m51 into dealers for them to update for you,not possable for some of us,im on one of first firmwares but managed to get firmware 1.39 today,didnt get instructions on procedure to update though and having problems getting m51 to reconize the hex file,if anyone can help with firmware update instructions i would apreciate the help,the person who gave me update firmware is allowing me to pass it on so if anyone needs it email me and as soon as i have update instructions to go with it i will send it to who ever needs it.

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #487 of 1,623
The M51 does run a bit above specifications when it comes to output voltage. If the input stages on your preamp do not handle above 2V for single ended or 4V for balanced, it will likely result in  distortion. My M51 has no distortion at any point and I was able to test both outputs in my setup.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #488 of 1,623
Quote:
Just wanted to add that I heard  back from NAD and they said that it is a normal thing, but it may improve a bit with burn-in. I also want to emphasize that 0dB is enough to blow out your ear drums on most systems. Finally, as I am listening to this DAC through my system, I am amazed at the level of detail it is able to present in a holographic 3D layout. I strongly recommend it!

I have had mine since April, I didnt think that the M51 improved during burn in!

Sep 11, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #489 of 1,623
Quote:
There are some Ref 7 and M51 comparisons on my local forum, Stereo.net.au and well they kept the Ref 7. The M51 wasn't as musical. That was it.
Someone else kept the M51 because it was more useful in their HT/stereo system. I get that.

I didnt compared the M51 directly with the ref 7.1, but agreed with the comments and the person who made these comments.  But we did the following:

We had jplay>jkenny>ref 7.1>Belcanto Evo 4 and the Revel Ultima studio monitors:  extremely organic SQ, now I know why he kept the Ref7.1 and let go the M51

The other system was:  Jplay>jkenny>M51>Behringer 3031A:  not as organic extremely detailed and airy sound, delivered better space and detail in the recording, could equal the above combo in sound stage if we place them at least 4ft high.  A bit more analytical.

Could not place the M51 in the above system as the remote wasnt present and a lack of time.  I can live with the M51 setup for life, those Behringer 3031A  are possible the best value for $630AUD

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #490 of 1,623
Just an FYI -- the M51 makes it into Class A+ in the latest S'phille Recommended Components. Decent showing for the money.

Still enjoying mine. Simple, elegant and makes beautiful music.

o

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #492 of 1,623
Does anyone have any kind of comparison between the M51 & the Anedio D2??

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #493 of 1,623
I've still got my eye on the M51, but demoing it will prove difficult.  How would those of you with one describe it in terms of PRaT?  I have some variation with my current DACs and regardless of their other foibles that makes quite a difference to my enjoyment.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #495 of 1,623

Users who are viewing this thread

Back