NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Aug 31, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #1,203 of 1,623
Thanks! Too bad...maybe no trigger out for me! :xf_eek:

I can verify that my NAD M51 has a 12V trigger out over the RS 232 port. I have the new black model, so I can't speak for the silver. It's weird because the quick connect guide and manuals don't show it. I'll try it tomorrow and see if it works.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #1,204 of 1,623
Just went on the NAD site and the data sheet has been updated to show the 12V trigger out.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #1,209 of 1,623
I'm thinking about picking up the Nad M12.. does anyone know what dac chip is used?

Same basic DAC as M51. There actually is a DAC chip, but it is made by a company with the name Zetex Diodes. I am not sure if Lenbrook (NAD parent company) completely bought out that company or not. At any rate, the DAC chip was developed by NAD and Zetex. NAD essentially developed their own proprietary DAC chip based on the functional ideas of the M2 digital amp.

It's also interesting to note that the USB interface for the M12 is on a separate MDC module and not on the main motherboard. I would assume the M12 should have superior performance to the M51 being newer, but it sounds like the improvements might be incremental rather than large. The major advance really seems to be in the cool new features.

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #1,211 of 1,623
The thing that might seal the deal for me with the M12 is the BluOS module. I had been considering an NAD M50 to go with the M51, but the M12 will work with an MDC module that will make it compaitible with the Bluesound eco-system. I have been mourning the loss of Squeezebox and hoping for a higher-end solution that doesn't totally break my bank like Linn or Naim. It looks like NAD/BlueSound are trying to pickup where the Squeezebox left off.

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #1,215 of 1,623
  Pretty sure it isn't considering it is cheaper. 

This answer doesn't sound right....the M12 is $1,500 over the M51.

I haven't heard or read that the M12 is processing data any differently, but has better casework, more flexibility, comes with a phono preamp and could very well have upgraded power supplies and output stage.

Not that anything at all is lacking in the M51 (well, maybe a front panel volume control and a headphone jack  :))  

See Stereophile's review and many others, as well as user testimonials.

Time will tell as the new and user feedback reviews come in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back