NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Aug 1, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #1,161 of 1,623
  Cool, thanx.
Since the M51 is an "old" model, is there going to be an updated version with DSD soon?

I don't think that is likely. The M51 uses a proprietary conversion scheme (they don't choose a Sabre, Wolfson, or Burr-Brown dac chips, they essentially developed their own.)

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,162 of 1,623
The new NAD M12 is starting to hit stores. I wondered what this would mean for the M51. It looks like it just got rebranded as the NAD C510 and gained a volume control on the front.

And the price got knocked down to $1300!!  What a steal it is now.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/NAD-C510-Preamplifier-_-DAC/productinfo/NAC510/#.U-_lR_ldV8E

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #1,165 of 1,623
Wow, first I've heard of the M12 - I see they've added a phono section, very cool. Wonder if there's any change in the DAC itself? Don't see any mention of DSD....

edit: looks like lots of streaming and wireless options which is nice, and a modular approach, which may help with some level of future proofing.

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #1,167 of 1,623
Wow, first I've heard of the M12 - I see they've added a phono section, very cool. Wonder if there's any change in the DAC itself? Don't see any mention of DSD....

edit: looks like lots of streaming and wireless options which is nice, and a modular approach, which may help with some level of future proofing.

I'm pretty sure the DAC chip itself hasn't changed. They essentially developed their own chip which is a tremendous investment for a company that is only going to use it in their own products. From what I can tell the output buffer stage is supposedly improved. Functionally it looks like they have tried to bring some of the cool features of the C390DD integrated amp to the Master series.

I don't really see DSD. The 35-bit depth and digital volume control and other DSP functions are all impossible with DSD. There would have to be a DSD->PCM conversion.

The streaming is what is interesting to me. I am still considering an M50 streamer to go with my M51. Ever since Logitech killed the Squeezebox I have been hoping for a real alternative that is relaible and easy to use (that is better than Sonos.) It looks like their BluOS ecosystem might finally be what I have been waiting for.

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #1,170 of 1,623
Hello - new hear and looking for some insight. . .I am looking at the two configurations below and not sure which way I should go. . .perhaps you can share some opinions?

Room - 20x25
Speakers - B&W CM10s
Usage - 80% music, 20% AppleTV.  Music is the most important by far.  Music listened to is Jazz and Classical.
Input - all digital.  Either High Def or lossless CD Rips.

Option 1 - NAD 390DD + HDMI cartridge
Option 2 - NAD M51 + Pioneer Elite SC-63

Cost for both is the same and well under list so these are the two things I am considering.  Specifically, is the SC-63 going to be able to reveal all that the M51 can present?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back