Mytek Manhattan : PCM/DSD DAC-Pre With Headphone AMP
Sep 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #31 of 55
Anyone saw and heard it at the NY audio show this WK ! Is it's internal Headphone Amp as good as they claim or juste an "after thought" ?

I saw it at the show and was about to give it a shakedown but there was just too much chatter going on to do any critical evaluation.... 

They had it set up in the main hall sorta... a little bit too close to all the foot traffic... good for sights (promotion) but not sound esp with open cans...
blink.gif

- Peace...
L3000.gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #32 of 55
it is available for sale now ?  --> Who will be the first Head-Fier to hear it ?   
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #33 of 55
Some pictures on " the audio traveler " in their NY Show report, but... still NO listening report any where ! 
mad.gif

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #34 of 55
  Some pictures on " the audio traveler " in their NY Show report, but... still NO listening report any where ! 
mad.gif

I think for a change you should be the first to buy and share your thoughts here instead :wink:.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #35 of 55
Hard to believe that no-one has any listening impressions on this yet, looking forward to some!

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #37 of 55
I think for a change you should be the first to buy and share your thoughts here instead :wink:.

Well I can't buy everything that i would like.

But...

I believe that, every time when I can, I bring my ( modest ) contribution to Head-Fi :

- 2 weeks ago, based on my OWN listening impressions at CanJan Europe, I bought an Ultrasone ED5 ( despite all the bad comments he used to get on Head-Fi ) and I shared few times my impressions here. And now.... people start to reconsider it :)
-> Didn't I took a nice plunge buying this expensive one that nobody considered as a valid choice at this time ?

- And I will do the same when I will receive in 2 weeks my TUR-06 portable tube amp (ordered 3 months ago) and I will tell about it's synergy With my ED5 and my TH-900 like I did at lengh With my TU-05 & my HUGO ( I also described the tube rolling I did and the mods I did on the TU-05 to implement XLR plug )

- And again ... you will have the pleasure to read my comments when I received my ED 4-45 ordered 2 months ago.

So... Stay tuned :)

But yes...I need good advice to find the proper DAC to feed my ED 4-45 ! (Lampizator ? Berkley Ref ? Total DAC D-1 ? Mytek Manhattan ? AMR DP777....) or... will my HUGO be " enough " ? :)

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #39 of 55
Looking forward to your impressions

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #40 of 55
Based on what I am hearing with the Chord QBD76 its worth an audition. Its excellent and bests the Hugo in most areas.

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #42 of 55
Fedex just dropped the manhattan off.

Initial impressions are great. They kept the air and detail of the 192 while toning down the harshness slightly, and greatly improving coherency, seperation, and resolution of every frequency; especially the lower end.

Timbre is greatly benefited by the, much more full bodied, low end.

All this while smoothing out the treble. Brass instruments are now uncanny in their energy.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #43 of 55
  Fedex just dropped the manhattan off.

Initial impressions are great. They kept the air and detail of the 192 while toning down the harshness slightly, and greatly improving coherency, seperation, and resolution of every frequency; especially the lower end.

Timbre is greatly benefited by the, much more full bodied, low end.

All this while smoothing out the treble. Brass instruments are now uncanny in their energy.

Man, Do you realize that you may be the first Head-Fier to get a Manhattan !!
wink.gif
 so... we all eagerly wait for your in deeph feed-backs  
biggrin.gif

- have you tested the Headphone Out  ?  Is it good enough to avoid the purchase a separate TOL headphone amp ? (please specify what headphone you use)

- do you hear difference between native pay back and the upsampling that the Manhattan offer ? which one you prefer ? 

thanks a LOT in advance for your reporting

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #44 of 55

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

- have you tested the Headphone Out  ?  Is it good enough to avoid the purchase a separate TOL headphone amp ? (please specify what headphone you use)

- do you hear difference between native pay back and the upsampling that the Manhattan offer ? which one you prefer ? 

Apparently I'm in the same boat for the v281 and the upgraded volume pot option. I'll be the first one in North America with the 128 step relay, according to Arthur.

I unfortunately don;t have a single ended cable to test it right now. I'm feeding it to a v181 with a balanced q- audio cable going to an Audeze lcd-X. When my ALO salty pepper cable with a SE adapter comes, in a week or two, I'll get back to you on that.

The upsampling I feel smoothes out transients a bit. Especially in the higher ranges. It's sort of preference. I feel like some brass sections sound more realistic, but harsher when its not upsampled. but I find the upsampled output more enjoyable.

The upsampling effect is also more effective on the lower sample rates like 44/16. 192/24 is not as noticeable.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #45 of 55

wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Salty pepper came earlier than earlier than expected and have been able to test the output on the integrated amp. I'm feeding it to the LCD-X, and I feel like it has better seperation and soundstage, as well as being more neutral, than the violectric v181 I'm feeding it to right now. Although I feel like it is slower, which may be a power issue. It is definitely better than the 192, and doesn't feel like such an after thought, maybe slightly better than the 181 even.

I'll compare it to the v281 I have coming, once it gets here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back