Mytek Brooklyn Thread
May 31, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #496 of 818
I bought the Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 12-13V MKII for the Brooklyn DAC+ but have encountered a problem. Whenever I add the Sbooster to the chain, my computer fails to recognize the Mytek. When I take the Sbooster out of the chain, it recognizes it again. What gives? Did I get a faulty Sbooster?

Interesting, haven't seen this issue. Have you tried using the optical connection?

May 31, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #497 of 818
I bought the Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 12-13V MKII for the Brooklyn DAC+ but have encountered a problem. Whenever I add the Sbooster to the chain, my computer fails to recognize the Mytek. When I take the Sbooster out of the chain, it recognizes it again. What gives? Did I get a faulty Sbooster?

This seems very odd, almost like the Sbooster isn't properly powering the Brooklyn. I would first try switching inputs as George suggested, if that doesn't work then put a power meter on it to see how much power the Sbooster is actually outputting. Also, is there any type of voltage adjuster on the Sbooster?

May 31, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #498 of 818

Like everyone else stated, that is an unusual problem. Most likely the SBooster either provides the wrong power to the Mytek or is set to an incorrect voltage intake. I think there is a switch inside it , see the "main intake voltage switch" in the pic here.
1406554-auralic-aries-mini-with-960gb-ssd-and-sbooster-botw-power-supply.jpg

As far as the wrong power output, you can check the "Output setting switch" or buy a voltimeter like the one for tube biasing for $20 at a local hardware store and check.

I have had a similar problem with my SoTM tx-USBultra. Every time I switched USB power line off on the Mytek software on the PC stopped seeing the Mytek, even though it was on and connected with the tx-USBultra in between. But once I switched the power on for the USB ports the PC recognized the Mytek again. But your issue is not with a USB 5V wire being turned off, it is with the entire DAC becoming invisible.
tX-USBultra_R_Very-high.jpg

May 31, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #500 of 818
That is why I like Keces P-8 external power supply. Not only it has three power outputs, two of them are also switchable between different voltages, it also shows how many volts and amperes it outputs for each zone (device):

Me too:

20190531_092325.jpg

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #501 of 818
Interesting, haven't seen this issue. Have you tried using the optical connection?

I have not tried that but can do just to see if that is the issue... I will report back this weekend after I have given that a try.

This seems very odd, almost like the Sbooster isn't properly powering the Brooklyn. I would first try switching inputs as George suggested, if that doesn't work then put a power meter on it to see how much power the Sbooster is actually outputting. Also, is there any type of voltage adjuster on the Sbooster?

There is a voltage adjuster. It goes from 12v to 13v to 13.5v. I tried all three and nada unfortunately. The LED and the unit does turn on with the Sbooster though, which is strange, given Windows does not recognize the DAC with it in the chain.

That is why I like Keces P-8 external power supply. Not only it has three power outputs, two of them are also switchable between different voltages, it also shows how many volts and amperes it outputs for each zone (device):

Two times the cost unfortunately... otherwise I would be very tempted to try.

Like everyone else stated, that is an unusual problem. Most likely the SBooster either provides the wrong power to the Mytek or is set to an incorrect voltage intake. I think there is a switch inside it , see the "main intake voltage switch" in the pic here.
1406554-auralic-aries-mini-with-960gb-ssd-and-sbooster-botw-power-supply.jpg

As far as the wrong power output, you can check the "Output setting switch" or buy a voltimeter like the one for tube biasing for $20 at a local hardware store and check.

I have had a similar problem with my SoTM tx-USBultra. Every time I switched USB power line off on the Mytek software on the PC stopped seeing the Mytek, even though it was on and connected with the tx-USBultra in between. But once I switched the power on for the USB ports the PC recognized the Mytek again. But your issue is not with a USB 5V wire being turned off, it is with the entire DAC becoming invisible.

Exactly. I tried this with my PC which is my Roon Server and my laptop. Both have the same result. Before I open up the Sbooster, I emailed the company and asked them to help. They wrote back this morning. I'll update the thread if there is a solution that works... Good thing Upscale Audio has a good return policy in case..

May 31, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #502 of 818
I have not tried that but can do just to see if that is the issue... I will report back this weekend after I have given that a try.

There is a voltage adjuster. It goes from 12v to 13v to 13.5v. I tried all three and nada unfortunately. The LED and the unit does turn on with the Sbooster though, which is strange, given Windows does not recognize the DAC with it in the chain.

Two times the cost unfortunately... otherwise I would be very tempted to try.

Exactly. I tried this with my PC which is my Roon Server and my laptop. Both have the same result. Before I open up the Sbooster, I emailed the company and asked them to help. They wrote back this morning. I'll update the thread if there is a solution that works... Good thing Upscale Audio has a good return policy in case..

I would really urge you to stop powering the Mytek with that SBooster. It may damage the unit if the power it supplies is deficient.
Just get a replacement from Upscale. Kevin is a nice person, he will help out.
I am sorry you are going through this ordeal, Freesole. There is nothing worse than getting a new device after much anticipation and then finding out that it is no good. Especially before a weekend, the best time to enjoy a new toy!

Jun 7, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #503 of 818
It is one thing to enjoy a Brooklyn DAC+ in a modest desktop setup with monitors, but it is a completely different level of enjoyment to listen to it with a good, reference level tube power amp like Audio Research Reference 75. Only then you begin to comprehend what that excellent DAC can actually do. Amazing details, dynamics, sweet, sweet analog sound! There is not a hint of digital harshness or muddiness. Smooth and delicious.
Take a look how little wattage the power amp actually pumps into the speakers, barely 0.5W! And it sounds really loud in the room, I usually dont even play that loud.

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #504 of 818
Brooklyn does not see to have Balanced headphones output, correct?

Also, does anybody know what the rated output power is at 300 Ohms impedance?

Here is the Mytek adapter that Kerwin515 mentioned:

20190609_201909.jpg

Jun 19, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #506 of 818
Hi. I have the DAC+ and would like to purchase an sBooster MK2. Which tip do I use to attach the cable to the DAC+?

Jun 20, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #507 of 818
I was really fascinated with Brooklyn DAC+ up to the moment when I have heard Lampizator DAC, type Golden Atlantic (as well Polish production close to Warsaw) which is a tube rectified device. There is no further comparison - Mytek was killed easily and now it is on the shelf and is waiting for a new owner. If you would like to keep Mytek never try Lampizator :)

Jun 20, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #508 of 818
I was really fascinated with Brooklyn DAC+ up to the moment when I have heard Lampizator DAC, type Golden Atlantic (as well Polish production close to Warsaw) which is a tube rectified device. There is no further comparison - Mytek was killed easily and now it is on the shelf and is waiting for a new owner. If you would like to keep Mytek never try Lampizator :)
I have never heard the Golden Atlantic, it may be as good as you say. But mind the price difference. The Brooklyn is $2,000, the Lampizator is $10,000. That is a five times price difference.
I am sure a dCS Vivaldi stack will, in turn, smoke the Lampizator , but that DAC costs $108,496.00. You can only compare products within the same price category. There is a reason Sugar Ray Leonard never fought George Foreman.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back