Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Mar 22, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #452 of 818
That's interesting, beause the only yggy I heard sounded waaaay off from DAC+, like DAC+ had ten times or more the clarity, definition and detail...

BTW, right now I'm using DAC+ with Tidal and the highest settings on Tidal, and I'm getting no issues. Using an Optical cable from my motherboard's Optical output.

You may just prefer Sabre ES9028 DACs. I used my Brooklyn DAC+ with multiple optical sources and the sound quality was inferior on all. It is possible that my Brooklyn was defective, however I sent it back to Mytek NY and got it back within a week with an email and note saying it tested fine and passed QC. I'm not sure if they even put it on the test bench. You also need to remember that a Yggy will sound off when just powered up, it takes about three weeks to reach thermal equilibrium and really sound its best. Yggys also need to be left powered on 24/7 a small price to pay for the sound quality IMO.

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #453 of 818
You may just prefer Sabre ES9028 DACs. I used my Brooklyn DAC+ with multiple optical sources and the sound quality was inferior on all. It is possible that my Brooklyn was defective, however I sent it back to Mytek NY and got it back within a week with an email and note saying it tested fine and passed QC. I'm not sure if they even put it on the test bench. You also need to remember that a Yggy will sound off when just powered up, it takes about three weeks to reach thermal equilibrium and really sound its best. Yggys also need to be left powered on 24/7 a small price to pay for the sound quality IMO.

TBH I love the sound of ESS DACs :)

Inferior on optical compared to USB? That's weird.

That's also interesting, I have my unit from their HQ here in Europe not USA (?)

I had no idea about that with Yggy, but that's pretty outrageous in my honest opinion. A DAC/AMP should sound good at most minutes after it is plugged in. Brooklyn DAC+ doesn't need even one minute to sound at best levels, and even most of my Tube stuff tends to reach equilibrium in maxmium 5 minutes.

Apr 7, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #454 of 818
Mine sounded great out of the box (new from Music Direct).

I use mine as a full preamp. I haven't spent a lot of time with the headphone output. The combination of features is perfect for me. It's a fantastic digital front end...and it's the best phono pre I've heard in my system (though I've admittedly kicked around mostly lower priced boxes).

Interested in any impressions running HD600s balanced on the amp. Can't decide whether or not to purchase the balanced adaptor and balanced sennheiser cables.

I ran it for a while as a preamp with a LM 518ia SET amp. Sold the amp due to lack of listening time thanks to a new baby in the house, but I plan on buying the exact same amp next time. Fantastic combo!

This is an old post but the LM gear is fantastic. I have the 805ia from Line Magnetic and I easily preferred this to Primaluna, Hegel, Modwright, Luxman, McIntosh, etc. I did not find that adding a preamp to the chain made much of a difference however.

I do love my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. I don't use it in my speaker setup but I use it on my desktop as a headphone dac/amp. To my ears, it sounds great and so much better than the PS Audio Sprout100 that I had previously. I haven't even tried the 1/4" balanced adapter yet either. It works well with my Clear's and I solve the hissing problem on my IEM's with an IFI IEMatch and use it with my Flamenco's.

Do you guys use the Mytek as a headphone amp as well? If so, how do you compare it to what else is out there? Curious about the Woo Audio WA11 and the RME ADI-2... or even the Monolith THX AAA Dac/Amp

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #455 of 818
This is an old post but the LM gear is fantastic. I have the 805ia from Line Magnetic and I easily preferred this to Primaluna, Hegel, Modwright, Luxman, McIntosh, etc. I did not find that adding a preamp to the chain made much of a difference however.

I do love my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. I don't use it in my speaker setup but I use it on my desktop as a headphone dac/amp. To my ears, it sounds great and so much better than the PS Audio Sprout100 that I had previously. I haven't even tried the 1/4" balanced adapter yet either. It works well with my Clear's and I solve the hissing problem on my IEM's with an IFI IEMatch and use it with my Flamenco's.

Do you guys use the Mytek as a headphone amp as well? If so, how do you compare it to what else is out there? Curious about the Woo Audio WA11 and the RME ADI-2... or even the Monolith THX AAA Dac/Amp

I have extensive experience with headphone AMPs and headphones in general.

Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ easily beats most stuff below 1.5K USD as a headphone DAC/AMP. At least from what I have on the table.

It is much more lively and clear, more detailed and better controlled than WA11, makes WA11 feel veiled and lifeless / flat.

Waiting on RME ADI-2 to arrive to me to compare properly.

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #456 of 818

Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ easily beats most stuff below 1.5K USD as a headphone DAC/AMP. At least from what I have on the table.

It is much more lively and clear, more detailed and better controlled than WA11, makes WA11 feel veiled and lifeless / flat.

That is reassuring to hear. I know they say that the only way to know what you prefer is to hear it yourself and while I haven't had the most experience with headphone amps, I am very impressed with the Brooklyn DAC+. Your feedback comparing the WA11 to the Brooklyn is especially helpful as I was that close to buying the WA11. It is a pricey thing and I hesitated a few times and maybe it is a good thing that I did.

I have heard great things about the ADI-2 however. To be able to EQ and have that flexibility is something to look at.

Apr 8, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #457 of 818

If you like the Brooklyn DAC+ then am not sure you will like the rme dac, I ordered both with the intention of keeping one no contest dac+ sounded better. Depth, soundstage, clarity, control instrument separation etc was much better, rme dac sounded thicker, fuller but not as clear

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #458 of 818
If you like the Brooklyn DAC+ then am not sure you will like the rme dac, I ordered both with the intention of keeping one no contest dac+ sounded better. Depth, soundstage, clarity, control instrument separation etc was much better, rme dac sounded thicker, fuller but not as clear

Good to hear, as I was also considering the RME as well before I got the Brooklyn +.

Do any of you use the balanced adapters for your headphones? I am tempted to buy the adapter and power my Focal Clear's that way to see if I hear a difference.

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #459 of 818

Ah, I see

Would be even better to compare if they are more different :)

I am curious about the EQ thingy on RME ADI-2.

Makes me happy to knowing that Brooklyn DAC+ can hold its ground and even sounds better than Adi-2, because it really impressed me a lot, and I wasn't sure if I should wait until Adi-2 arives before publishing my review on Brooklyn DAC+, but if Adi-2 isn't much of a competition, then there's no reason for me to wait for Adi2 :)

Good to hear, as I was also considering the RME as well before I got the Brooklyn +.

Do any of you use the balanced adapters for your headphones? I am tempted to buy the adapter and power my Focal Clear's that way to see if I hear a difference.

I wanted to get the adapters, but wasn't sure where to get them from (?)

I have some cans that could really love that power :)

Clear is a really picky headphone actually, I think havint the adapters would help

Apr 9, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #460 of 818
Ah, I see

Would be even better to compare if they are more different :)

I am curious about the EQ thingy on RME ADI-2.

Makes me happy to knowing that Brooklyn DAC+ can hold its ground and even sounds better than Adi-2, because it really impressed me a lot, and I wasn't sure if I should wait until Adi-2 arives before publishing my review on Brooklyn DAC+, but if Adi-2 isn't much of a competition, then there's no reason for me to wait for Adi2 :)

I wanted to get the adapters, but wasn't sure where to get them from (?)

I have some cans that could really love that power :)

Clear is a really picky headphone actually, I think havint the adapters would help

I got an adapter made by an eBay seller out of China. I just sent them a link to the Mytek spec for the adapter and they wired it custom for me. It was very inexpensive but took a few weeks to arrive. I can dig out the seller info if anyone wants it.

Apr 9, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #461 of 818
I got an adapter made by an eBay seller out of China. I just sent them a link to the Mytek spec for the adapter and they wired it custom for me. It was very inexpensive but took a few weeks to arrive. I can dig out the seller info if anyone wants it.

Oh, I see!

Me wanna one!

I am looking for one right now, really want to test that, although I'd really appreciate if it could arrive a bit quicker as my full in-depth review on Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ is almost ready

Apr 9, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #462 of 818
Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #464 of 818
Wow. It is a staggering $150 from Mytek.

Apr 9, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #465 of 818
I bought my adapter from a seller in Georgia last year. I haven't had any problems with it:
https://ebay.us/Lsh1cc

That would have helped me last year when I bought my adapter! And it would have been made in America...Will probably buy another from there too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back