Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Nov 13, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #244 of 818
I don’t use my Brooklyn enough to know off hand if obvious features have been changed. I use my Chord Qutest most of the time.

I updated control panel, but am debating on updating the DAC. the notes state no rollback to 1.11, but not to 1.22.

magic 8 ball will I be able to downgrade to 1.22?

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #246 of 818
Check out my recent thread.....

I have a SBooster on the way. Really looking forward to hearing the difference it makes.

They can't keep them in-stock (so I bought it used) so I'm guessing that there is a real demand for them and a real audible difference.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #247 of 818
I have a SBooster on the way. Really looking forward to hearing the difference it makes.

They can't keep them in-stock (so I bought it used) so I'm guessing that there is a real demand for them and a real audible difference.

I'm happy with mine. I keep it at the 12 volt setting although I have gone with higher voltages for a brief period. I also power the Sbooster (as well as the BK +) off an isolation transformer in an attempt to keep the AC noise down

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #248 of 818

YOU WILL hear a difference. If you do not I would point at other components in the chain of events.

The lithium battery for me was a very noticeable jump in sound quality. The SQ became effortless and the bass extension just extended deeper with my home stereo and smooth clarity. The amazing thing about the Liberty is that it's "cheap" and it really sound very good for what it is. I think for the price point this DAC has some meat to the bones and airy soundstage without shrill/glare. That alone is a fantastic implementation of the old sabre 9018 dac chip!! However I'll say my boutique tube dac made by Space Tech labs for string instruments is untouchable and puts most solid state dacs in the dust as far as realism is concerned...... but 4x the price as my Liberty dac.

I was just about to purchase the Sbooster mK2 but decided to buy an Astron RS-20M. This power supply has less than 5mv of ripple and is used extensively in the Ham Radio world. Apparently this bench linear power supply puts a lot of these "audiofile" power supplies to shame. My Astron PS is on route to me and I'm confident this "Made In USA" product will hold up well to it's reputation it currently has.

In the meantime I'm playing with a lithium battery. I'll be doing a comparison between the battery and Astron linear power supply .

The burr Brown dac in my Burson Virtuoso is actually decent but the Mytek seems like it has more layers of detail. With the battery the sound stage opens up and the location of instruments become much more transparent. The Burson Virtuoso Dac I have is good but with less detail with a warm presentation and smaller soundstage.

I'll be purchasing a better dac to match the performance and realism of my Tube dac. But I'm having alot of fun with the Mytek dac and for the price I think it's much better than a lot of other current solid state dacs with more modern Sabre processors. After auditioning the Pro-ject pre Rs2 dac against the Mytek Liberty the old school 9018 sabre setup in the Mytek won being more meaty. The Pro-ject sounds lean in comparison with more digititis.

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #249 of 818
I'm happy with mine. I keep it at the 12 volt setting although I have gone with higher voltages for a brief period. I also power the Sbooster (as well as the BK +) off an isolation transformer in an attempt to keep the AC noise down

Isolation transformer is a great conditioner for low powered source devices. I use a Blue circle conditioner that is much more money than what a current price of the Mytek Brooklyn+ costs. The switching supply in the mytek liberty and Brooklyn just generates hazy sound cast vs using pure dc from a battery or linear PS. From what I've read the Astron linear power supply (not over priced hype) should outperform the SQ of "audio file" grade linear power supplies. I guess I'll find out :) The RS-20A will look industrial sitting beside my tiny Liberty dac. I'll have to say the Liberty cheap dac has really surprised me in sound quality with my Totem Earth speakers!! I'll have to say when I auditioned the Mytek Brooklyn+ used as a source and powered it up with an Aurus Audio HA2 SE tube headphone amp..........WOW!!!!!!!! the ifi iPro Can, Mytek Brooklyn+, Woo WA7 fireflies 2nd Gen sounded "OK"......... The Brooklyn DAC + and even the Liberty as a source to the Aurus Audio amp was absolutely phenomenal!!! My Burson virtuoso is just "OK" in comparison.

Fun fun ......

Nov 15, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #250 of 818

Are you in the US? If so, where did you get yours and is it set at 110 or 120V?

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #255 of 818
no problem. I forgot to mention it comes with a few (maybe 6) different size ends. so I guess it has a purpose beyond just powering the DAC

Yup! There's nothing like powering a $100 router with a $400 linear power supply. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back