Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Aug 11, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #227 of 818
Pink means the Oppo is doing the first MQA unfold. If you can set the Oppo to pass through an undecoded MQA signal, then you'll see blue (full decoding in the Mytek of an MQA release that was approved by the artist or label) or green (full decoding but with no sign-off by any owner). It would be interesting to learn if you can hear any difference.

Cheers for that, I changed the S/PDIF output from bitstream to 48k LPCM and I now have the Blue light.

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #228 of 818
Hey Mytek Brooklyn Owners !

I just bought a Brooklyn DAC (not the DAC+) and I have been loving it with my system. It is really detailed and brings music to life. Been listening to MQA on Tidal the last few hours and have been impressed. It is a lot more transparent than my Chord Mojo that I was using both for headphones and for my system.

Anyways... I haven't listened to the headphone output much but I understand that it is a bit underperforming... I was wondering if anyone out there has played with this DAC and has found the best way to get the most out of the headphone section. Does the Mytek Balanced Headphone Adapter help at all?

Any experience or input would be appreciated. PS: I picked the Mytek up for $1,000 CAD, which is $767 USD, how'd I do?

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #230 of 818
...but it doesn't really improve it much?

The DAC does have a very narrow soundstage so obviously this wouldn't improve. I suppose it would be all about the power requirements... hmmm...

... I suppose my Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Closed are relatively power hungry.

Oh! Wow! I just plugged my Aeons into my Rega Brio (2017) and that headphone amplifier being fed with the Mytek Brooklyn DAC is doing a much better job with the Aeons. I would love to compare but I don't have a balanced cable for the Aeons or any other headphones for that matter. So I would have to get a seperate headphone amplifier if I ditch the Rega for a Benchmark AHB2... shoot.

How much better is the Brooklyn DAC+ ??

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #231 of 818
Sorry but the headphone amp built into the Brooklyn DAC+ is on a par or slightly worse than a Schiit Magni 3. You really need a separate headphone amp with the DAC+. Also, the USB implementation is not the best as I get noticeably better SQ using a Schiit Eitr to S/PDIF input. And don't forget an outboard 12V linear power supply.

Oct 5, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #233 of 818
I bought a balanced cable for my Aeon Flows and the Mytek balanced adapter for the Mytek Brooklyn DAC (non-plus) and I have just put it all together and I am pretty happy.

I feel like I am getting a lot more from the Aeons and I am really happy with the sound. This is definitely now powerful enough to drive the Aeons. I don't think it is the best experience I could expect to get from the Aeons but I feel that these headphones were voiced with tubes...

I think it will ultimately be worthwhile using a dedicated headphone amplifier because the DAC is leaps and bounds above the quality of the built in headphone amplifier but I suppose that is what we've all read, so no surprises. For now I have a great solution.

Nov 10, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #234 of 818
I bought a balanced cable for my Aeon Flows and the Mytek balanced adapter for the Mytek Brooklyn DAC (non-plus) and I have just put it all together and I am pretty happy.

I feel like I am getting a lot more from the Aeons and I am really happy with the sound. This is definitely now powerful enough to drive the Aeons. I don't think it is the best experience I could expect to get from the Aeons but I feel that these headphones were voiced with tubes...

I think it will ultimately be worthwhile using a dedicated headphone amplifier because the DAC is leaps and bounds above the quality of the built in headphone amplifier but I suppose that is what we've all read, so no surprises. For now I have a great solution.

Check out my recent thread.....

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mytek-brooklyn-dac-and-liberty-external-battery-pack-ha.892954/

If you try the Sbooster mk2 or look into my recent DIY power lithium pack you'll see a very big improvement in SQ. I use expensive Blue circle power conditioning and well built Audio Sensibility power cords and my recent pure DC power source just increased the DAC performance by a very large margin.

Nov 13, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #240 of 818
there are release notes, just not on the website... this is from the .txt included in the .zip

Firmware revision history:
v1.23 / 2018-10-11
Important note #1: not possible to revert to previous version (1.11) if this firmware has been uploaded.
Important note #2: "Mytek_BrooklynDAC+_firmware_v.1.23.upgrade" must be uploaded FIRST to perform the update properly when going from 1.11 or below.
- added: support for MQA HID via USB.
- improved: cooperation between trim/gain, bypass, volume controll and inputs.
- fixed: no SR update when turning the MQA decoder on and off.
- added: designed by MQA custom FIR coefficients in ESS chip.
- added: 'Allow bypass' tile in order to prevent the user from enabling the bypass accidentally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back