Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Jun 27, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #197 of 818
It's a great DAC otherwise. Hopefully it will be fixed via firmware (I believe it may have introduced by a bug in the latest firmware?) sooner than later, but it's been 2 months already.

my guess is that Mytek has stretched its resources to paper thinness. trying to expand in the consumer space and a failed launch (multiple times) of the Clef all point to a lack of resources. Also it is my understanding that they contract firmware out to a third party and then deploy from in house.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #198 of 818
my guess is that Mytek has stretched its resources to paper thinness. trying to expand in the consumer space and a failed launch (multiple times) of the Clef all point to a lack of resources. Also it is my understanding that they contract firmware out to a third party and then deploy from in house.
Sounds like a bad situation... I hope they sort it out.

Jul 6, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #200 of 818
Looks like the new firmware is out:
v1.22 / 2018-07-03

Important note #1: not possible to revert to previous version (1.11) if this firmware has been uploaded.
Important note #2: "Mytek_BrooklynDAC+_firmware_v.1.22.upgrade" must be uploaded FIRST to perform the update properly when going from 1.11 or below.

- fixed: subtle drops in right channel on PCM (up from 192kHz) through USB
- fixed: meters instability in higher DSD rates
- improved: USB transmission

Jul 6, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #202 of 818
Looks like the new firmware is out:
v1.22 / 2018-07-03

Important note #1: not possible to revert to previous version (1.11) if this firmware has been uploaded.
Important note #2: "Mytek_BrooklynDAC+_firmware_v.1.22.upgrade" must be uploaded FIRST to perform the update properly when going from 1.11 or below.

- fixed: subtle drops in right channel on PCM (up from 192kHz) through USB
- fixed: meters instability in higher DSD rates
- improved: USB transmission

They still haven't fixed the issue where the DAC disappears from the windows audio control panel while playing a DSD file. as a result you can't use 3rd party (Sonarworks) software for calibrated headphones because the software cant find the DAC. The strange thing is the file plays even though the DAC isn't in the control panel device list. Looks like I will be re submitting a service ticket

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #203 of 818
I successfully updated to 1.22 from version 1.21 that my unit shipped with. I reset the to default settings per the readme.

Has anyone else installed this and have both 24/192 PCM working as well as maintaining proper MQA playback? I wonder if I’m just unlucky with some software quirk. Hopefully the support ticket gets me sorted out.

Edit/:
now Tidal doesn’t work for MQA properly. The Allow Enhancements tab is gone in windows properties for the playback device and now MQA outputs at 48khz despite being 96 or 192. 24/44.1 tracks work, but everything else is 48 or 44.1 if for my local MQA 352.8 files

edit2 Local MQA gives a blue dot, but its at 24/44.1 for 352khz files.

edit3: It now works for PCM 24/192 FLAC without popping, but MQA is borked. It only took uninstalling the Mytek USB drivers a few times and uninstalling the control panel, then reinstalling it all again. Not sure if switching output from auto to main had any impact or not, but it still works after setting to auto again.

EDIT (this persisted until I reinstalled the drivers and control panel after the firmware update.. took a few tries) Very unfortunately, the popping is reduced but still incredibly annoyingly present on all my 24/192 PCM FLAC content via Foobar with Asio, wasapi or Direct sound with windows set to 24/192. EDIT DISREGARD
It also does it with VLC and direct sound.
It even does it on 2L.no test tracks, but only at 192. 96 is still fine. 352 is fine, but I have no 384 content to test.
XLR outputs with device as a preamp. Digital or analog volume control. Edit DISREGARD

I’d find the Kevin Sorbo disappointed meme, but I’m too tired for that.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #204 of 818
False alarm... sorry!!

1.22 looks good to go, with a few removals and reinstall procedures possibly needed on the drivers, control panel and Tidal. Who knows if it works fine without this for others.

I guess it was a glitch with the Tidal software after the firmware update. Uninstalling tidal, restarting and reinstalling got it working. MQA works, 24/192 works. Seems to fix all the issues I was having.

Yesterday was hectic. Got woken up at 3:30AM after a night of drinking. Family emergency situation. Everything worked out ok. Was probably too tired to have been doing any firmware stuff. Was startled to find that Tidal Masters weren't working, as well as 24/192 still popping until I messed with stuff on the PC side.

If you are prepared to troubleshoot something like this, I say go for it.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #205 of 818
Tidal did an update yesterday and MQA was working. Today with nothing changed it crapped out again and it took uninstalling and reinstalling tidal and the Mytek UsB driver with no effect, the doing the same for the Mytek Control Panel. At which point local and Streaming MQA worked again.

Not sure if this is a fluke with my system, but it has been finicky with tidal updates lately.

Jul 13, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #206 of 818
edit: got it working again... it took reinstalling the control panel after a reboot, which didn't help, followed by uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling the Mytek USB driver.

Was listening to 24/192 FLAC with headphones rather than XLR out to speakers, flipped the volume control to digital from analog and the popping is back and does not go away even with reverting to analog volume control. Tried reinstalling the control panel. Haven't tried drivers yet, but this is an obnoxious quirk to have after having waited for an update that fixed this glitch temporarily.
Usually use tidal, so this isn't the end of things, its just annoying if I want to listen to some local FLAC at 24/192. It's unusable.

So if you get it working with v1.22, don't go fiddling with the analog/digital toggle while listening to 24/192 FLAC or it just might break again.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #207 of 818
Anyone else having this problem? 5 days later, IDK if it was the newest Tidal update or what (seems to follow this pattern with these failures) but MQA was working yesterday and is broken again today, with passthrough mqa enabled it shows 48Khz for 96 or 192 content. Same old problem as I've had in the last several weeks.

it is working with a magenta dot up to 88.2 or 96Khz with passthrough turned off. Trying to reinstall all the associated software for the Mytek and Tidal did not work this time.

It should be noted that the latest download from tidal is triggering an unsafe software alert in windows. copies from the last two weeks do not do so.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #208 of 818
Im not having the issues you described, even accepted all of the latest tidal updates. the screen caps are of 3 MQA playing (2 tidal and one MQA flac) you can see a full unfold displayed on the DAC

20180719_133128619_iOS.jpg 20180719_133112036_iOS.jpg 20180719_133303352_iOS.jpg

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #209 of 818
Im not having the issues you described, even accepted all of the latest tidal updates. the screen caps are of 3 MQA playing (2 tidal and one MQA flac) you can see a full unfold displayed on the DAC

Thanks for the info. I honestly don’t know why my PC and DAC are doing this. I’m not messing with any other installs of any software. It works one day then stops the next and has done this a few times now.

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #210 of 818
have you checked the startup menu and disabled all unnecessary apps starting with windows? any other USB audio drivers installed? is the Brooklyn + connected to a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port? have you tried disconnecting all USB device and connecting the Brooklyn + only? I am guessing you have tried some if not all of those suggestions, if not give them a try

Users who are viewing this thread

Back