Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Nov 15, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #76 of 818
I am not sure if this has been asked before but has anyone compare it with manhattan ii?

I don't know if this means anything in real life, but in this month's Stereophile (I have the digital Zino issue), the $1,995 Brooklyn (not even the plus) held its own against the $5,995 Manhattan II in their Products of the Year competition:

• tied with the $8,950 Ayre QX5 Twenty in Joint Digital Components (vs. Manhattan II in second place),

• second place for Headphone Component (where the Manhattan wasn't a finalist), and

• both were finalists for Overall Component (and lost to some $13,500 speakers),

• but in Editors' Choices, where each could name a personal favorite, Herb Reichert nominated the Manhattan II, because apparently he has spend a lot of time with it and it has changed his views on the merits of headphones, digital, streaming, and MQA. We should note he did not review the Brooklyn; that pleasure fell to Jim Austin, who for this category nominated a pair of $12,000 speakers instead. C'mon, Jim.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #77 of 818
The Brooklyn is amazing as amp/dac although I still prefer my kitsune level 3 by a good margin; since I have my level 3 pair with my amp, I am not sure really how the dac section for both dac performs. I am also curious on how Brooklyn held up with Manhattan ii.

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #79 of 818
Anyone have further experience with the DAC+? Especially interested in any comparisons vs RME ADI-2 Pro or the original Brooklyn. Would only be using the DAC function from a Mac Mini running Roon to amp/speakers, not so interested in the phono stage or headphone use, but of course that's always nice to have.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #80 of 818
I have the DAC +. Nice little bump from the original Brooklyn.

If you have one already, keep it. Two-channel playback was so close I don't think I can hear difference. The headphone amp though is better this go around.

Nov 29, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #81 of 818
I have the DAC +. Nice little bump from the original Brooklyn.

If you have one already, keep it. Two-channel playback was so close I don't think I can hear difference. The headphone amp though is better this go around.

my experience is a little different regarding 2 channel performance. I went from an Yggy to Brooklyn and immediately noticed a shrinking of the soundstage almost like the sound only emanated from the area between the speakers (the imaging wasn't as detailed either). needless to say I was disappointed. having made the bump from original Brooklyn to the + has restored the imaging and sound stage to wear I experience a greater width, depth and height to the sound field projected from my speakers. I cant say if it is equal to or better (stage and imaging) than Yggy. all I can say is it is better in all aspects to the original

the only change in my system involved the DAC only. all other components including power supplies and wires remain unchanged from Yggy till now

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #82 of 818
The experience with the Yggy is very interesting. I have done some casual testing against and Ayre Codex and QX-5 and the Brooklyn is right in there with them.. The Brooklyn is just so much of a "Swiss army knife"

I have the original Brooklyn in my main system as DAC/Preamp. I have an order in (should ship Monday) for the new DAC + and the AMP
I feed my HD800 cans balanced with Cardas Silver cables from the DAC and am very pleases with the performance.

Oh and the break-in for the Brooklyn was long. I leave it on 7x24 and that helped.

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #83 of 818
Got my Brooklyn today (along with a Dac3) and will be taking them through their paces for the next month. Brooklyn right out of the box was a big leap over my old Oppo ha-1.
When you get a chance, can please you do a quick comparison between Benchmark DAC3 vs Brooklyn DAC+? I happened to be most interested in those two DACs at the moment.

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #84 of 818
On my mobile so it will be a short reply.

For two channel playback I thought the Mytek had more midbass and low bass compared to the Benchmark. Which I like and which ultimately made my decision for me.

Similar air, extension, and detail with both of them.

I did think the headphone playback was superior with the DAC 3.

Then the DAC + came out and was lucky enough to be within the return window and swapped for the newer Brooklyn. Very happy.

Dec 16, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #85 of 818
The Benchmark DAC3 does not do MQA if that matters to you. I have been living with a DAC+ for two months now. The built in headphone amp is about equal to a Magni 3 not as spacious as a Vali 2. You don't usually buy the DAC+ for the headphone amp though I send the analog out to a Kenzie tube headphone amplifier.

Dec 16, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #86 of 818
On my mobile so it will be a short reply.

For two channel playback I thought the Mytek had more midbass and low bass compared to the Benchmark. Which I like and which ultimately made my decision for me.

Similar air, extension, and detail with both of them.

I did think the headphone playback was superior with the DAC 3.

Then the DAC + came out and was lucky enough to be within the return window and swapped for the newer Brooklyn. Very happy.

Based on reviews, I had a sense that both Mytek and Benchmark are exceptional products with excellent engineering pedigree. I was seeking how they may differ in sound, and your feedback was just what I was looking for. Thanks!!

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #87 of 818
The Benchmark DAC3 does not do MQA if that matters to you. I have been living with a DAC+ for two months now. The built in headphone amp is about equal to a Magni 3 not as spacious as a Vali 2. You don't usually buy the DAC+ for the headphone amp though I send the analog out to a Kenzie tube headphone amplifier.

I never heard MQA natively yet, so I don't even know what I'm missing out. But all my playback software, Roon, HQ Player and Tidal, support MQA, so I've been getting curious. You have a heck of amp by the way.

Dec 17, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #88 of 818
B3BEADDB-2AA9-45EB-85A4-4771E548477D.jpeg
Plus it’s sexy in black

You may also want budget for a nice linear power supply too

I got a Sbooster for it. Takes it up another notch

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #90 of 818
B6017432-F6F6-402F-B96A-310CA738B58D.jpeg
Thanks. I have actually have used the built in phonostage. Clean, detailed, and precise. May be a bit lean for some but sounds very nice.

My Sutherland sounds better but if I didn’t hear it I would be very happy with the Brooklyn’s phono playback.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back