Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Mar 8, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #16 of 818
I don't believe there's a setting for it.  It's all in the adapter.  The left jack's audio output is in phase while the right jack is out of phase.  I remember seeing a wiring diagram of the adapter that shows how it all works.

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #19 of 818

I've made at least 3 purchases from Music Direct before and never had any problems. and yes for items they don't have in stock they order and then either have it drop shipped or it goes to them and they ship it

update - shows in stock at Moon and 2-3 weeks at Music Direct

Moon might be the way to go.  I'm getting that much closer to pulling the trigger...

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #20 of 818
Since this is the Mytek Brooklyn thread, I want to put an observation on record.  My original Brooklyn was a black unit that the local dealer was using as a demo unit.  I was looking for a silver unit so the dealer let me have the Black Brooklyn unit my silver unit came in.  Upon plugging in the new Brooklyn I was surprised that it sounded brighter and more congested than my original DAC.  I wrote part of it off to having front to back, new, Lavricable's silver cables.  Interconnects, USB and Headphones.  All were XLR.  There were two things going on.  The Silver cables were bright and not broken in.  The DAC also seemed to not have the smooth sound that I was previously experiencing.  Well, three weeks later the DAC is showing a definite improvement and it's getting better as time goes on.  I also replaced the headphone cable with a Moon Audio Black Dragon that I had.  Well,  BOOM the depth and smoothness I was enjoying was back.  I'll still use the silver headphone cables with my Violectric V281 where it seems to be a good match.  For now the Copper based Black Dragons sound much better. Let's see what another few weeks do in terms of a break in period. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #21 of 818
Hey Guys,

Really interested in purchasing the Mytek Brooklyn DAC. Im located in San Diego and I was wondering if anyone has it and is willing to let me demo it?

Any local dealers? I checked out the Mytek site and the one they have for CA is not local.

Thanks
CC

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #22 of 818
Hey Guys,

Really interested in purchasing the Mytek Brooklyn DAC. Im located in San Diego and I was wondering if anyone has it and is willing to let me demo it?

Any local dealers? I checked out the Mytek site and the one they have for CA is not local.

Thanks
CC

Mytek offers a 30 day refund that is unconditional. If you go this route remember that these need a minimum burn in period. Mine took the better part of a month to settle down

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #23 of 818
Hey watchdog507,

I get where you are coming from. I was hoping to demo a unit that was already gone through the burn-in. 

Not comfortable with ordering, getting it shipped, trying it out and if I don't like it, shipping it out - regardless of a full refund.

Hopefully someone can assist. Otherwise, there is always your option :)

Have a great weekend.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #24 of 818
I'm one of those buyer who make leaps based on careful evaluation of reviews from multiple sources.  In may case I took a 20 minute test flight at the dealer.  I knew that if I wasn't pleased i could return it.  I have a solid relationship with them.  I bought it and I've never looked back  It amazes me at how well it resolves music.  I listen primarily to Tidal and some others in limited fashion.  I've never been disappointed with rendering PCM, DSD or MQA.  If i heard something that was an anomaly it turned out to be the recording. I give it a positive review.

Brooklyn Features:  Headphone Amp, Phono Amp, Multi Format DAC, Preamp (Limited) 

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #25 of 818
I did enjoy this DAC at CanJam with Sony Z1R. But I read somewhere that there is a loud popping noise when you switch on the device or when you change the output from speaker(line out) to headphone. Is this true?

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #26 of 818
I did enjoy this DAC at CanJam with Sony Z1R. But I read somewhere that there is a loud popping noise when you switch on the device or when you change the output from speaker(line out) to headphone. Is this true?

I have never heard anything but music out of my Brooklyn. There must be some sequence of events that create this issue. In 3 months I've never heard that sound.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #27 of 818
So I've had quite a few hours on 2 different Brooklyn DACs now.

The first unit I purchased brand new with the intention of it being my all in one portable-ish dac/amp. At the time I was listening to my Utopias with a balanced cable so I hooked up the Brooklyn to my Jotunheim with XLR and really ended up liking the sound signature. Alot. It really pulls quite a bit of detail out of the music compared to other DACs I have or previously had. Compared to my DAC3 it is almost neutral, but a bit more punchy, more dynamic. You can really hear a big difference with string instruments.

But then, I decided to listen to some of my other headphones, the TH-900s (low impedance) and SE846s (very low impedance). I plugged my SE846 directly to the Brooklyn and got an earful of hiss. I could also pick it up with the TH-900s. I couldn't be sure I could hear it with the Utopias, but if I was plugged in directly to the Brooklyn it was always on my mind and it drove me nuts just knowing it might be there. It is definitely an issue with the headphone amplifier because listening through the Jotunheim results in a perfectly silent background. Hiss aside, the bass is less pronounced when using the built in amp (but still represents well) and the mids are just ever so slightly recessed. I contacted the dealer and also Mytek but there was no fix for the hiss and I couldn't pay $2K with that much hiss on the amp so it went back.

A couple months later I was able to get another unit as part of a trade. I took a shot in the dark hoping the amp issue was isolated to the first unit, but, this current unit has the same headphone amp issue. I found that messing with the analog vs digital volume control setting does change the hiss a bit, but not much. I ended up getting the Brooklyn for a really good price in trade, and at that price I can live with its amp issue. Listening to my Utopias through the Jotumheim is my current favorite setup.

May 23, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #28 of 818
Mytek offers a 30 day refund that is unconditional. If you go this route remember that these need a minimum burn in period. Mine took the better part of a month to settle down

Mine sounded great out of the box (new from Music Direct).

I use mine as a full preamp. I haven't spent a lot of time with the headphone output. The combination of features is perfect for me. It's a fantastic digital front end...and it's the best phono pre I've heard in my system (though I've admittedly kicked around mostly lower priced boxes).

Interested in any impressions running HD600s balanced on the amp. Can't decide whether or not to purchase the balanced adaptor and balanced sennheiser cables.

I ran it for a while as a preamp with a LM 518ia SET amp. Sold the amp due to lack of listening time thanks to a new baby in the house, but I plan on buying the exact same amp next time. Fantastic combo!

Jun 10, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #29 of 818
IMG_0076.JPG
Got my Brooklyn today (along with a Dac3) and will be taking them through their paces for the next month. Brooklyn right out of the box was a big leap over my old Oppo ha-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back