MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY
Aug 9, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #1,156 of 1,383
6BE7D2F9-DE1F-4601-BE16-A6443D5FDDF2.jpeg

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #1,157 of 1,383
20210811_095206.jpg

Finally got around to re-terminating some thicker gauge, copper cable for the Mysphere's using some cheapo 3.5mm trrs plugs form my local electronics store, and the cable swap from the stock cables is transformative: more full-bodied, bigger soundstage, more presence/engagement, more impact, and extended highs while retaining its excellent spatial imaging. Like others have said, the stock cables really hold the Mysphere's back, but are still useful for portable use. I'll have to reterminate using proper plugs at some point but the sound is so good that I don't feel a rush. Plus, my cable job is amateur ugly so motivated to re-do for vanity sake. I'm considering these right angle plugs.

https://www.moon-audio.com/4-pole-3-5mm-trrs-gold-right-angle-mini-connector.html

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #1,158 of 1,383
Nice job! But are you not scared to break the cable by using rightangeled plugs? The cable looks pretty heavy and rather stiff.
I like my 45degree plug.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,159 of 1,383
I've had the privilege of owning the Mysphere's (3.2) for about a month now, and wanted to share some early impressions. From what I've read, it appears that the Mysphere's got overshadowed by the Raal craze but I think these special headphones deserve a second take.

* The design is modern, innovative and pragmatic; and the build quality is very high. They feel more like a high precision medical/scientific device than consumer audio gear.

* Like most TOTL, to get the best out of these headphones, they are not plug and play, but require the right fitting and DAC/AMP pairing/synergy. They sound great out of my M6pro DAP but scale very high using full-sized amps with gobs of high quality power. I amp them using the K1K output of my first gen Woo WA5 and they sound amazing.

* Wrong fitting can sound muffled, shouty, and lead to weird reflections. The sweet spot is quite large but finding a position that is also comfortable is the key. I eventually landed on height at "0," frames extended farthest out, and headband positioned as displayed in the manual or the dummy head photo below. Finding the good fit was analogous to when I owned the Abyss 1266 but I think the ergonomics of the Mysphere's are better. With the Abyss, I had to keep my head still to keep the Abyss from sliding off and to stay in the sweet spot, but the clamp on the Mysphere's keep them sturdy on my head. I can even dance with them no problem, which is quite an immersive experience. The frames not touching my ears is refreshing and makes listening to regular headphones afterwards a bit stuffy. Lastly, the clamp seems to adapt to my head over time so I no longer have any hot spots. Over time, the mysphere's went from uncomfortable to them disappearing on my head. I have been listening to them for 3-4 hour stretches no problem. Once you find right fit, it is easy to take them on and off and find the sweet spot. No need to be OCD of finding the perfect spot because they sound great on multiple spots.

b036d73e5d57e45267fb0912c89ffa8f1fccea23_2_750x750.jpeg

* Although they sound slightly better with space around your head (e.g., when standing or low back chair), you don't lose much with a high back chair or while laying down. I place a small cushion on the upper backside of my head and they are quite comfortable and sound great while laying down. When laying down though, I do need to reposition the headband forward so that headband is on the top of my forehead like what is shown in the manual.

* The Mysphere's are aptly named. They don't quite project sound like speakers, but create a sphere of sound around you that make them very immersive. The other day, I was listening to Nobuo Uematsu's distant worlds sound track, and with my eyes closed, I felt like I was really there as if I was the conductor or first row seating. The experiential transportability factor is really high.

* They are very revealing of upstream components as well as recording quality, which can be a good or bad thing as they highlight flaws. Initially, they don't sound as transparent as my 009's or Jade 2's, but I am hearing ambient details more clearly on the Mysphere's than I do on my transparent cans. For example, I have listened to Diana Krall's live performance of "The Case of You," probably over 500 times, and heard details in the crowd that I never heard before. Something about their spatial presentation is revealing details that were hidden by other sound images. They are deceptively transparent and detailed.

* They have a "live" sound. Vocals and acoustic instruments in particular sound very real. I agree with Currawong's assessment that these are top notch for classical music, but I think they are great for any musical genres with acoustic instruments. Listening to Yo Yo Ma on the Mysphere's is a revelation. Their live presentation makes me want to revisit my entire music collection, as the Mysphere's present music differently than any other headphone I've owned.

* Spatial imaging is best amongst the headphones I've owned. They beat the OG Abyss in this department which was my previous benchmark. I'd love to compare these side by side to the Shangri-la Senior's as those are the absolute best I've heard for spacial imaging. As expected with floating, over-ears, the sound stage is tall and wide, and aftermarket cables add depth to give it a 3-D feel. Sounds seem like they are floating around me. Images are solid, stable, clearly separated and spread out on a coherent stage (as opposed to 3-blob). I've never heard the Raal's but reviews suggest that the sound staging is comparable.

* With aftermarket cables, there is a heft, weight, and full-bodied quality to sounds. With stock cables, the sound signature is a bit lean. Regardless of cabling, the sound can be fast when the music calls for it, not electrostatic fast, but up there for dynamics.

* They seem to benefit from some driver or brain burn-in. I purchased mine second hand, but my mysphere's arrived in like new condition with a strong clamp, suggesting to me the previous owner did not use them much. After about 50 hours, something clicked and they sound much better than when I first got them. I think part of it was my OCD of trying to find the best fit when I first got them which distracted from the musical enjoyment.

* Something about them being floating/not touching my ears, and lack of cup resonance makes them less fatiguing compared to traditional headphones.

* The major downside is the lack of sub-bass when the frames are max extended out. I have the bass frames, and when folded in, the mysphere's transform into a bassy headphone. Thus, I don't think it is limit of the driver that is causing the dip in sub-bass but rather the form factor. I sense the driver is producing sub-bass, but the sub-bass or low-bass with frames extended out can sound like a one-note thump which at times can sound off and distract from the music. Fortunately, most of the music I listen to doesn't have much sub-bass, and the Mysphere's do sound quite linear from mid-bass upwards. Also, despite the issue with sub-bass, they can be quite punchy/have attack when the music calls for it.

* Another potential downside is that the volume drops significantly when frames are extended out, which requires a lot of power to compensate. I have my m6pro at turbo gain and volume in the 60-70 range (out of 99), while my other headphones sound great out of low gain. For my full amp setup, the volume for Mysphere's on my AGD master 8 amp (in high power mode) is between 40-50 (out of 99) whereas my other headphones are usually between 25-35. The short cable and high sensitivity of the Mysphere's give the impression that they are transportable headphones (which they are great for), but they seem similar to the K1000's in that they demand a lot of power to reach their potential. I'd be curious how they sound out of speaker taps.

Bravo Mr. Heinz and Mr. Helmut!

Nice job! But are you not scared to break the cable by using rightangeled plugs? The cable looks pretty heavy and rather stiff.
I like my 45degree plug.

Do you mind elaborating on the risk of breaking cable if using right angled plug? I don't have much experience with cable building. Also, where can I find a 45 degree plug? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #1,160 of 1,383
Do you mind elaborating on the risk of breaking cable if using right angled plug? I don't have much experience with cable building. Also, where can I find a 45 degree plug? Thanks in advance!
I am not sure about the right word in English, is it kink or crinkle what I mean?
I could not find 45°plugs in the web, but the one I have on my new cable from Heinz Renner looks like this:
264E8C09-295C-4EDA-83D4-009921E43FFA.jpeg

Maybe you ask him.

Sep 15, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #1,161 of 1,383
I keep making the experience that the Mysphere scares you at first. Going from stand to stand at a trade fair, perhaps having heard a meze, an Audeze or an HD600 beforehand, that doesn't work. For example, I was very satisfied with the music with the HD580 last night. Today I need 3-4 songs until I understand what's going on with the Mysphere. This is simply a reproduction without beautiful distortion, a dynamic that does not lull you but requires attention. That is definitely more in the direction of RAAL and HEDD. A shot of a tube is definitely good, although the space is unsurpassed even without it. That's what the wings do. And the precision creates a separation and placement of the musicians that is otherwise unknown. (Haven't heard the Susvara and the last Abyss yet.)

I always feel like this while listening: 10 minutes ah, annoying - EQ + 2-3 db in bass - after another 10 minutes - EQ off - please go - that's how music sounds turn louder - after an hour too much bass - come on Bass almost hurts - turn it down

I would definitely test the Mysphere at home and have both pads and cables shipped. It sure is possible.

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #1,162 of 1,383

I would definitely test the Mysphere at home and have both pads and cables shipped. It sure is possible.

I definitely plan to do this when the temperatures drop again and gardening is over. Heinz already knows that.

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #1,163 of 1,383
I tested the MySpheres at home and was thrilled for the opportunity to do so. I can't remember, maybe I (only) had to pay for return shipping. Regardless, if you are looking for a TOTL headphone experience and have a dedicated listening area that is quiet (at least part of the time during your day), I highly recommend listening to these. Just make sure first whether you need to try the 3.1 or 3.2 version (selection will be based on what amplifier you are using). Does anyone try these and not like them?

Oct 1, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #1,165 of 1,383
@ DelsFan
With the Line Tube Z10e you have a very interesting amplifier. I like these powerful tube universal amps. That`s why I own a similar object, a PALTAUF ESD ( https://paltauf.com/index.php/kopfhoererverstaerker/khv-esd ). In my opinion, the Mysphere benefits from the atmosphere and warmth only tubes can produce. And Mysphere likes power too, to bring it`s bass alive.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #1,166 of 1,383
@ DelsFan
With the Line Tube Z10e you have a very interesting amplifier. I like these powerful tube universal amps. That`s why I own a similar object, a PALTAUF ESD ( https://paltauf.com/index.php/kopfhoererverstaerker/khv-esd ). In my opinion, the Mysphere benefits from the atmosphere and warmth only tubes can produce. And Mysphere likes power too, to bring it`s bass alive.
That's interesting as I have a Linear Tube amp. Which Mysphere version?

Oct 1, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #1,167 of 1,383
My Mysphere is a 3.2. . There is enough power.

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #1,169 of 1,383
That's interesting as I have a Linear Tube amp. Which Mysphere version?
Below is a table that I modified a year or so ago; Heinz originally posted it somewhere when his headphones were new (newer), to give people an idea of which version of the MySpheres would be best with whatever amplifier an enthusiast was using (or considering) at the time, and which of the amplifiers he had tried sounded good with his headphones.
Maybe you will find the table to be helpful, maybe Heinz will want to update it some (I guess it could be as much as three years old, so obviously not completely up-to-date). Or, maybe, there are enough MySphere headphones out there now, and enough postings and reviews about them, that all one needs to know is:

Tube-based amplifiers (with transformers) and portable players: ___Version 3.1

Solid State amplifiers and OTL Tube-based amplifiers: ______________Version 3.2

Attachments

• MySphere compatibility with amplifiers.jpg
    MySphere compatibility with amplifiers.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back