MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY
Jul 25, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #1,141 of 1,383
Jul 25, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,142 of 1,383
Perhaps somebody can give me a hint, how to connect a Mysphere 3.2 to a speaker amp, what values for the resistor, and so on. A kind of Robinette box for the Mysphere 3.2. Any piece of information appreciated.
Hello Klonk, there is this French forum, musique-o-casque, and this particular topic, that is entirely dedicated to that matter:
https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=163

It has all technical answers, because with the Hifiman adaptor, you might ear a "huuumm", a background noise with some amps. But with the solutions in the topic, you won't. I myself use one of the adaptors seen on page 6 of the topic, and it works perfectly well when connecting my Mysphere 3.2 directly to my Tsakiridis Apollon monoblocs, using my Chord Dave as a preamp. I may add that you can also contact Pierre PAYA, trough his website: https://www.casques-headphones.com
I believe he can sell you one of those adaptors. (I've got mine from him.)
Regards.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #1,143 of 1,383
Thank you Sayed2020.The iFi iESL looks like a cool box, however I don't want ESL capability included. I may try Banan speaker to female 4 pin XLR adapter, is there no resistor required?

Thank you dynavit for your advise. I have had the Hifiman adapter, although not for the Mysphere and I wasn't impressed for what ever reason. Are you still active over at Open-End forum?

Clawd, thank you for the link, this looks really interesting. I will go through and see, if I can build something.

Jul 25, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #1,145 of 1,383
Thank you dynavit for your advise. I have had the Hifiman adapter, although not for the Mysphere and I wasn't impressed for what ever reason. Are you still active over at Open-End forum?
Hallo,
yes, I am still at open end-forum, but not as much as in earlier times. Too much rubbish, so that a lot of the interesting people left.

I once used a Pass Int 150 directly for a AKG K100 and didn`t have any problems with the volume. Poti was in the same position as the Magnepan 1.7 ! So I would recommend to try headphones directly first and use an adapter only if sensibility is too high.

Jul 30, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #1,146 of 1,383
Last Friday I have received a package from MySphere including a new goldplated cable and the bass-pads. It was rather a surprise, because a long time has passed since we have talked about the option of try these things. Corona has made us forget about it.
My old cable is much too long and has a straight connector which is not useful in practice. That was my main intention to change it - I am not much into cable-sound anymore. My ears are getting older and I am asking myself, if we are not caught by psychoacaustic effects: silver looks cold, gold warm, so these materials have to sound cold and warm.
So in opposite to the old copper/silver cable the new one is copper platted with gold. Optics and haptics are the same.
Comparing cables with the MySphere is pretty easy, because you can connect the 2 different cables on both sides of the headphone and quickly change the plug at the amp only. So I did and it was obvious right from the beginning that the new one gave more body and warmth to the music. The highs lost a little bit of their sharpness. It was a step in the right direction especially with digital sounding recordings.
It is not al lot, but as much as you can expect from a cable. And, be sure, the Mysphere makes you hear this differences.
After one week I have made the recheck and changed to the old cable again. My impressions are confirmed. Psycho or not, this cable has to stay!

Impressions to the bass-pads will follow, but be sure they are a change.

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #1,147 of 1,383
Let's talk about the bass-(heavy )-pads, because they make more difference than any cable ever could do.
Heinz Renner promised plus 10db at 30hz and plus 6db at 100hz measured close to the drivers. (Means you lose that addition when opening the angles away from your ears). If you want to reach a plus of 6db in the bass by equalizing, the drivers would have to go double the way (!). I think everybody can imagine, what a stress this would be especially when music is played at 85db or more.
Renner reaches this plus by compressing the waves through a smaller hole in the pads. That looks like this:

0E1AEE96-1331-4BE9-ACE8-588BD5472CF6.jpeg

Now is there a difference to the standard pads and what`s the price you have to pay?
The first prototyp I have heard at the „Klangbilder“in Vienna was too much because bass covered the mids and highs. It sounded muffled.
The new pads are much better balanced and leave the strengths of the MySphere alive. Still it is the clearest, most detailed, fastest headphone in my collection. In comparison to the standard pads you get more bass with the same quality for sure. Having the pads one finger away from my ears I would say cut in half the db you win. That makes the Mysphere not only more pleasant with digital sounding recordings but gives you the amount of bass you get at live music with natural instruments. They also give the lower mids more body. (Leonhard Cohen for example sounds gorgeous! ) I am listening to Jazz and Songwriters, Soul and a little Pop and my chain consists of a Paltauf NOS Dac and the very powerful, dynamic and natural sounding Paltauf EDS headamp.
Listening with the Mysphere and bass-pads gives me the feeling of being rightly balanced in comparison to livemusic. Bass is not the main instrument as other headphones try to make you believe and some voices and instruments may sound aggressive.
Some comparison to headphones of my collection:
Stax 009: This is my reference and all my chain is build to make it sound best. The 009 sounds bigger, closer with more body. Bass: Quantity about the same, quality goes to MySphere. So do separation and contour. The 009 sound a little bit more rounded ( more distortions), but that makes him more pleasant to listen. That`s what Stax-Fans call the glory. Still my favourite headphone.
Mr. Speaker VOCE: Sounds much warmer with a huge soundstage. There is more bass for sure, but quality? Mids and highs are covered by a heavy curtain, details of the upper mids and highs get lost. Sounds slow in comparison.
Audeze LCD XC with Roon presettings: Best bass, a little bit too much in comparison to live, but I like it. This closed headphone surprises me again and again. With the presettings very neutral. Mysphere puts the attention more to the mids and highs and sound fresher.
Grado GS3000: Bass is a little more, but quality is poor. In direct comparison Grados bass is annoying. Grand Piano sounds like a Piano and misses the sparkling of the higher notes.

Conclusion:
If your like to headbang to techno & co or if you like to swim in a warm, lush sound for relaxation, the Mysphere will still not meet your taste. But if you want to get as close as possible to live music and your chain is well balanced the Mysphere with the basspads could be your choice. The basspads are an upgrade if you have missed some warmth and grounding, but they still won`t give you the impact of an Abyss 1266. And don`t be scared to lose anything you liked at your Mysphere. It is all still there!

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #1,148 of 1,383
Even though I have the standard and bass cushions, I actually prefer listening to the MySphere 3.2 without any ear cushions (sorry Heinz).

For you owners out there, check out these tracks (I recommend you close your eyes and listen):
Wandering by Yosi Horikawa,
Bogus Man by Brendan Perry,
Everywhen by Massive Attack,
Letter by Yosi Horikawa,
Forgotten Love by Auora,
Intension by Tool,
I Try by Macy Gray (from the Stripped album),
Cloudlight by Eskmo,
Novacaine by Amber Rubarth (from the Sessions From The 17th Ward album),
Il Giardino Degli Unicorni by D-Leria,
Idioteque by Radiohead,
Windowlicker by Aphex Twin.

A truly immersive, different and wondrous sonic experience.

You are welcome, happy listening : )

Aug 1, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #1,149 of 1,383
Thanks for your list and the idea playing the Mysphere without pads. Will try this next week.
Here my recommandation for a perfect combination :
AEDB06E0-31BC-46CE-9456-680A1ED14999.jpeg

Aug 2, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #1,150 of 1,383
Perhaps somebody can give me a hint, how to connect a Mysphere 3.2 to a speaker amp, what values for the resistor, and so on. A kind of Robinette box for the Mysphere 3.2. Any piece of information appreciated.
It is best not to use a converter to link the power amplifier, the sound will be lost, specifically in the high frequency dimming, I am directly connected to the 50w power amplifier, if the power of the power amplifier is too high, do not connect it, which will damage the earphones.

1605F917-8314-4AB0-B81A-D601AC4F4B00.jpeg
56F61A5D-13AB-40B1-B3B6-911ED171E30B.jpeg

The strength is not inferior to he1

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,151 of 1,383
I just tried the MySphere without pads. Worked surprisingly well with soft songs, very spacious and comfortable, but when playing songs which need a hard hand on bass control was lost. The basement got round and the mids and high sounded too far away. Not my beer!
Listened to Michel Porter „Sky tinted water“ for example.
I will go with the bass-pads in future.

@ Ruddy 1 : Could you maybe say some words to HE1 vs. Mysphere. Never have seen these two in one room. Thanks!

Aug 2, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #1,152 of 1,383
I just tried the MySphere without pads. Worked surprisingly well with soft songs, very spacious and comfortable, but when playing songs which need a hard hand on bass control was lost. The basement got round and the mids and high sounded too far away. Not my beer!
Listened to Michel Porter „Sky tinted water“ for example.
I will go with the bass-pads in future.

@ Ruddy 1 : Could you maybe say some words to HE1 vs. Mysphere. Never have seen these two in one room. Thanks!
The he1 ending item is relatively general, and I think it has a slight head-in effect. The overall sound is very straightforward and dry, with no special features, except for the low frequency. Mysphere is better than he1 except for low frequencies, especially in the expression of string music, it is much better than he1, but he1 is better for large systems that require large dynamics. The above are all results based on the comparison of transparent pads. Decoding is the hapi amp is liquid gold

Aug 3, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #1,153 of 1,383
Aug 3, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #1,154 of 1,383
My customized sterling silver upgrade cable has arrived, and I use an amplifier to connect it directly to mysphere. The improvement is great, the sound field is much better, and the high frequency is also much better. The quality is also high. I think the original line is very poor, and I can’t use mysphere’s strength, so I have to change the line.
AD88C331-5A5B-46EE-9447-9667582993B1.jpeg
9EF837C9-CCB1-4106-8B92-E7ECE6C633EA.jpeg

Aug 6, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #1,155 of 1,383
I have had problems with the fitting of the Mysphere when listening more than 1 hour. There was too much pressure on the rather small ends of the headband. So one day I bent them but too much. The pressure was gone, but the fit was too loose. By good luck I found a bicycle grip made of foam rubber in my workshop with a diameter that fitted right over the ends of the headband. So the result for this cheap solution was
a) a perfect seat with no more pain
b) I can use my glasses again
c) the drivers don`t slip anymore
(If you try this, bring the drivers in the right position and cut the rubber in the right length.)
9C089761-8311-4E11-BF28-685AF0861367.jpeg

2B6DB7B0-F35A-400E-8A6B-2166938E3708.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back