MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY
Nov 20, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #138 of 1,383
What caused the infamous k1000 rattle, and how is it being prevented here?

The rattle or also called Rub & Buzz of the K1000 mainly was caused by 3 points:

1) The damping foam in the middle of the magnet system was effected by UV day light and became brittle and lose bubbles caused R&B at the membrane surface
2) A gluing process of membrane/basket was changed during some time after production start. But the glue was too stiff and elastic enough. Therefore the membrane became loose on some points and this caused R&B too.
3) The wire loop from the coil to the terminals was not well managed during production so that wires toughed the membrane when moving.

If you are interested in more details, please check:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/57805/history-of-the-akg-k1000/75

We will avoid those effects by professional design method of today and a lot of lifetime and over-stress testing, based on know how of mass production methods, before going to market.

BR heinz

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #139 of 1,383
I've had two different samples of K1000 and experienced rattling on the older one. It was caused by glue issue on left membrane and discovered by its new owner right after I sold them (probably due to transportation). He was able to fix it himself by applying new glue again.

I've also experienced one more thing: on higher volume levels metal outer mesh cage protecting the driver could fall in resonance (this time on my pair). I've been able to successfully fix this issue by using square-U-shaped collar inside, between plastic frame and metal cage (avoiding RLC filters). With proper height and material (hard foam), I've managed not only to prevent any form of resonance based rattling, but also... increase bass level (mostly overall amount and slightly more midbass). It is probably caused by less dissipated sound wave on edges with collar fitted on. As far as I know, nobody ever tried such modifications with K1000, even though they are fully reversible and very easy/cheap to make. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #141 of 1,383
Hi,
Just wanted to mention something about positioning of MYSPHERE3.1 
It will definitively not a follower of AKG’s legendary K1000! This chance AKG missed in the past from my personal point of view.

It’s another time now and the new product will become much more fitting to nowadays demands.

One feature is, that it will be much more robust and suitable for portable needs too.

It will be designed to offer very low mass compared to other Top Gear products. Very good and relaxed to wear on the head without transpire- or pressure feeling.

Easy to clean, even resistant against rain, and the main parts can be simple disassembled.

Connection will be symmetric or asymmetric possible. 

MYSPHERE 3.1 will offer much more bass punch (pressure) but nevertheless the full transparency, brilliance and detailed sound impression close to the original recording. Knowing this sound like to square the circle

Packing will be also quite different to any other high end headphone product. But further news to that point cannot be released now.

Means: Inspired by the K1000 - the know how of the past implemented and extended with the technical know-how of today used in the high end industry.

BR heinz

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #142 of 1,383
No problem. I hope it will be helpful:

As you can see, the collar is placed between the plastic frame and the metal mesh internally. Ths thickness is about 3mm in order to prevent direct contact with driver's membrane. Red area is the exact place where the collar lies on frame. At the same time it is 5mm high, so is covering the entire edge of metal mesh. I believe this way it is working not only as gasket for metal mesh, but also as acoustic polarizer, concentrating sound wave more directly towards my ears. I've removed the area around RLC filters for safety. The foam is in black color, so it is almost not visible from outside.

The difference is noticeable when for example only one collar is applied and the other channel is left without it. Bass balance was displaced and moved to modified side of the K1000. While it is probably not the ultimate solution for lack of the lowest bass department, it is a clear improvement for me. Now I've found my K1000 much more pleasurable to listen from greater range of equipment and amplifiers.

Nov 27, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #143 of 1,383
Hello,

My strongest congrats to this idea!

Doing so, you tuned the K1000 more or less into the direction of Focals Utopia. (They do it with the front cushion).

This is because you get at low frequencies much more pressure to your hear due to the compression effect in front of the ear.

well done!

Of course it influence the mids as well and might a bit too much for many others. But this could be tuned easily by EQ.

BR heinz

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #146 of 1,383
I think the time will be nice at first meet&greet at TU in Vienna 2017....
L3000.gif

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #149 of 1,383
AKG'S LEGANDARY K1000-created by RENNER and RYBACK in 1989-was the Inspiriation for Mysphere 3.1
......and in the next few days ......take a look at this page ....the community will get more to see:smiley::thumbsup::stuck_out_tongue:
http://www.mysphere.at

Regards from Austria

Nomax

Users who are viewing this thread

Back