My Windows XP is COMPLETELY fracked!
Mar 29, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #31 of 73
This sounds like a corrupt sector of the Windows partition.

You can use a GpartEd disc to delete the Windows partition, re-allocate it and reformat.

Hard drives can fail anytime, and if it were me, I'd use this as an excuse to upgrade to a larger drive. They are really getting cheap these days.

Also, you might look into using a Bart PE disc to recover any data/files you'd rather not lose.

If you don't have access to one, and don't have the means to make one, PM me.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #32 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathsnapper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in fact ATI already has official windows 7 drivers. But pretty much all vista drivers work perfectly with it from what I've seen/read

I saw that ATI had released a set of preview drivers for Win7 but I am not sure if they are an official release. If you can wait and see if a Release Candidate Windows 7 is released in May-June. Windows 7 looked ok but I couldn't get the Vista drivers to work on my laptop, and I didn't feel like learning Win7 when I can just dual-boot XP and Ubuntu.

You are going to have to wait a bit for Windows 7 since i am not sure if M$ has said it will be released in 2009, so avoiding reinstalling XP for Windows 7 is a little premature.

You can see if you can reinstall XP quick just to game, and use Ubuntu to do everything else. I use Ubuntu for 90% of my computing and if I could get my games, Matlab, Maple, and Pro/Engineer to work perfectly under WINE I would use Linux 100% of the time.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #33 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw that ATI had released a set of preview drivers for Win7 but I am not sure if they are an official release. If you can wait and see if a Release Candidate Windows 7 is released in May-June. Windows 7 looked ok but I couldn't get the Vista drivers to work on my laptop, and I didn't feel like learning Win7 when I can just dual-boot XP and Ubuntu.

This is getting a bit off topic, but the official release is the most recent version (9.3). (source: HEXUS.net - Review :: ATI rolls out Catalyst 9.3 with official Windows 7 support: HEXUS benchmarks high-end graphics : Page - 1/8)

Though you're right. It might be worth waiting for the RC copy of windows 7 to come out.

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #34 of 73
So honest question then: Why does windows corrupt partitions, but I've never had that issue in 10+ years of apple computers? They use the same type of storage mediums... why the difference?

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #35 of 73
With all respect to everyone, I love Linux lovers - why use a screwdriver for the job when a jackhammer will do?
tongue.gif

Grab your Windows disk and boot from the CD. Go into the Recovery Console. Log into the C: partition and run

CHKDSK /f/r

That will take (quite) a while.

Then try booting into Windows. If Windows still does not boot "cleanly" then it may be a problem with either a damaged sector inside a VxD (which CHKDSK /f/r 'should' fix) or a damaged Registry. Don't worry, the Registry can be fixed either automatically (System Restore) or manually (go into the System Restore archives and manually recover / move the files to the proper location).

[Almost] no such thing as an "unrecoverable" Windows installation. Almost every single problem can be fixed, with enough gile and time
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #36 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't use the beta of Windows 7 for your primary because its still a beta and you may not be able to game with it depending on your vid card.

In order to mount the HDD from windows in Ubuntu after it says that is to restart windows and shutdown properly. Have you tried booting into safe mode?

Yes, I have tried safe mode. It failed to boot into it at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With all respect to everyone, I love Linux lovers - why use a screwdriver for the job when a jackhammer will do?
tongue.gif

Grab your Windows disk and boot from the CD. Go into the Recovery Console. Log into the C: partition and run

CHKDSK /f/r

That will take (quite) a while.

Then try booting into Windows. If Windows still does not boot "cleanly" then it may be a problem with either a damaged sector inside a VxD (which CHKDSK /f/r 'should' fix) or a damaged Registry. Don't worry, the Registry can be fixed either automatically (System Restore) or manually (go into the System Restore archives and manually recover / move the files to the proper location).

[Almost] no such thing as an "unrecoverable" Windows installation. Almost every single problem can be fixed, with enough gile and time
biggrin.gif

Interesting. I did CHKDSK /p/r per recommendations at the beginning of this thread and it did find some errors and presumably fixed them. Still can't use XP properly though. It logs in and gets to around loading Comodo but doesn't continue any further. And everything freezes up as well so I can't shut down properly.

I'll try /f/r later.

Edit: Apparently /f isn't a parameter. The only ones are /p and /r. So I have done a CHKDSK and it did not fix it. Luckily, I can access my files now (due to exiting recovery console) which makes things alot easier. The only things I really need to backup are all my game saves.

So hows Windows 7 for gaming? I think it'd be quite good since I'd be able to run all the games that only work in Vista (Shadowrun is the only one I know of...) without having to actually use Vista.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #37 of 73
I tried safe mode again. This time it booted into safe mode and started loading stuff, but hung on giveio.sys. Maybe this is the root of my problems?

I also tried to do a repair install, but windows setup threw up some error about my other hard drive... Kinda weird.

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #39 of 73
I stopped reading at the bit the OSX vs. XP stuff started. Stupid troll wars are not supposed to be in this thread. Moreso, just because his computer won't boot into XP doesn't justify buying a completely new, and quite expensive, computer.

Anyway, lets see... little bit of reading and OP might want to try partitioning some space for a small 5-10gb partition for another XP instillation to see if he can access his files from there. I've had problems getting to stuff in windows partitions under linux, whereas another XP partition will gladly bully the partition until it works. Had to delete some virus files the other day (First in a few years might I add) and I had to use my benching partition to take care of them.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #40 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried safe mode again. This time it booted into safe mode and started loading stuff, but hung on giveio.sys. Maybe this is the root of my problems?

Google is your friend here
wink_face.gif

Safemode halts on Giveio.sys on Windows Xp pro - Bink.nu

Try the recommendations there.

If you can't get into Safe Mode to uninstall the suspected Speedfan or Quicktime programs, go back into the Recovery Console and delete the file in c:\windows\system32.

Also, do a CHKDSK *without* any parameters and, when the report comes back, look down the list to see if there are any "bad sectors" being reported. These may have been found during the last run through and, if a decent number, do indeed throw up early suggestions of a future HDD failure.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I stopped reading at the bit the OSX vs. XP stuff started. Stupid troll wars are not supposed to be in this thread. Moreso, just because his computer won't boot into XP doesn't justify buying a completely new, and quite expensive, computer.

Anyway, lets see... little bit of reading and OP might want to try partitioning some space for a small 5-10gb partition for another XP instillation to see if he can access his files from there. I've had problems getting to stuff in windows partitions under linux, whereas another XP partition will gladly bully the partition until it works. Had to delete some virus files the other day (First in a few years might I add) and I had to use my benching partition to take care of them.

I don't think anybody ever suggested buying a new computer...

I can access my files from ubuntu fine. That's not the problem any more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Google is your friend here
wink_face.gif

Safemode halts on Giveio.sys on Windows Xp pro - Bink.nu

Try the recommendations there.

If you can't get into Safe Mode to uninstall the suspected Speedfan or Quicktime programs, go back into the Recovery Console and delete the file in c:\windows\system32.

Also, do a CHKDSK *without* any parameters and, when the report comes back, look down the list to see if there are any "bad sectors" being reported. These may have been found during the last run through and, if a decent number, do indeed throw up early suggestions of a future HDD failure.

Yeah, I did google and looked at that exact thread. Tried everything there, nothing worked. Will CHKDSK without parameters be quicker than with the /p and /r? Just so I know how long my computer will be out for.

Actually, when I tried to do a repair install of Windows XP it told me that the partition I had Windows XP on was not a valid Windows partition! Can it really be that corrupted?

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

Yes, my pc is custom built. I do not want to reinstall again, since I'm going to have to do that again when Windows 7 comes out. Speaking of which, is the beta really stable enough to be used as a primary operating system?

Damn, I'm really enjoying Ubuntu. It's so quick and speedy, and customizable too. If only it was good for gaming...

Only issue I have is that I can't access my windows drive (and my other file storage drive) since they don't want to be mounted because they haven't been unmounted properly in Windows and it says they're still in use... Anyone have any experience with this?

Have had one issue since I started using it, Team Fortress 2 refused to work, installed it on my vista partition and it works fine. The reinstall is nowhere near as bad for customs as it was in xp or vista, I think I had to install 2 drivers, video card and audio. I have not had a crash, I would dare say it is stable enough.

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

I also tried to do a repair install, but windows setup threw up some error about my other hard drive... Kinda weird.

That has to be a corrupt os.

7 is great for gaming, for me it outperforms vista. Only issue like I said was tf2, and I think it may be any steam game since I was hanging on vac. I have successfully installed and played (I was testing 7's gaming, I do have a life) Burnout Paradise, Dirt, Mirrors Edge, Prince of Persia, and am going to test out unreal tournament.

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #44 of 73
Screw it.

I'll just reinstall XP. It's a bit of a pain having to reinstall all my apps... But at least I won't be losing any files or save games.

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #45 of 73
I would make sure to backup anything important i.e. pictures, documents etc just in case your HDD is on its way out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
7 is great for gaming, for me it outperforms vista. Only issue like I said was tf2, and I think it may be any steam game since I was hanging on vac. I have successfully installed and played (I was testing 7's gaming, I do have a life) Burnout Paradise, Dirt, Mirrors Edge, Prince of Persia, and am going to test out unreal tournament.

Gaming on Win7 is DX10 right? Now that it has a lot of drivers available maybe I can get a free look at Bioshock and the rest in DX10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back