My wife's review of HD800 vs HF2 :)
Jan 3, 2010 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

peanuthead

500+ Head-Fier
I'm relaxing in my listening chair tonight when my wife comes over and says she wants to compare my headphones. "I want to see if there is any difference," she says. Quick background: although she's a music lover, and plays piano and guitar, she's not into audio gear and would be happy to listen to tunes out of a little plastic radio all day. And she also routinely makes fun of me for my gear-head tendencies.
So after listening to several songs (from Regina Spector's album Far which happened to be playing) out of both HD800 and HF-2, and going back and forth several times, here are her conclusions.

HD800: "The music is outside the head, like you're in the room with the performers. Sounds accurate and smooth but somewhat formal."
HF-2: "More vivacious and fun. Music is inside the head. Not as refined."

I was actually quite surprised and impressed she pretty much nailed the major qualities/differences between the headphones on her first semi-serious listen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 38
Nothing like a "fresh" review....i'm jealous she showed even showed interest....you must go to "Jared" .....NAO....

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I'm jealous. When I put on headphones, my wife turns and run the other way in fear that I might say "hey come take a listen at this".

Haha I know that exact feeling.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #7 of 38
After 10 seconds listenning with my HD650s, my wife said: "Mmmn.. better than mine", then went back to living room, turned on her raido which I bought for her 20 years ago in China, Dr. Laura's voice coming.

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 38
That's a pretty impressive description for anyone. Experience or not.

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 10 seconds listenning with my HD650s, my wife said: "Mmmn.. better than mine", then went back to living room, turned on her raido which I bought for her 20 years ago in China, Dr. Laura's voice coming.

You cracked me up there. Thanks for the brief lol moment.

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 38
I have to try the same with my wife, no HD 800 yet though
smily_headphones1.gif

Also would the circum aural and supa aural nature of the headphones you compared come into the picture of her modest review, especially from the words she used.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #12 of 38
Heh.

My wife refused to audition at all, and says I am stupid to spend all these money and time on the audio gears.

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #14 of 38
Peanuthead... hang on *tight*!
smily_headphones1.gif
My wife has developed a very keen ear now, and though she's proud of it, feels it was a terrible thing to develop as she just does not like listening to audio or watching video away from home. I'm proud of her!

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #15 of 38
Yay! What a thoughtful and open-minded wife! Most people around here just scoff at my hobbies, but I'm going to try explaining tube rolling to my gf (see if the differences are as audible to her).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back