My vintage receiver headphone out sounds better than my Woo Audio
Apr 5, 2010 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

sling5s

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a vintage 1978 Setton RS 220. It's quite puzzling but it sounds more musical than my Woo Audio 6. I would say the Woo Audio is more clean but the headphone out of my Setton is more musical for both my hd800 and especially for my akg k240M(600oms). It drives them more effortlessly.

I can easily say, the pico amp is no match for the Setton.
I used to own a vintage seventies Marantz and while they drove my headphones, it sounded grainy and dirty than my Ray Samuels amps but the Setton receiver is smooth and effortless, very tube like in its musical presentation. Can figure it.

Honestly, I've had Ray Samuel amps, Corda Symphony, and currently Pico and Woo Audio and this Vintage Receiver really excels and out performs.

Anyone have similar experience?

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 22
That´s very nice to hear!
smily_headphones1.gif
Congrats!

I used to own an old NEC integrated amp that I preffered to the Millet Max I had at the time driving AKG K601 and AKG Sextetts.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 22
That certainly doesn't surprise me. I bet there's an amazing amp in there. All of my headphone listening has been done with dedicated amps, so I can't say that I've had a similar experience to yours though.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 22
The old receivers, CD-players and amplifiers, the big ones from the 60'ties to the 90'ties have some surprises up their sleeve. My Philips CD690 gives me reason to postpone buying a versatile (high end) headphone amplifier and gives my AKG K240 DF ample of power.

It only cost me 20 euros
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 22
My Kenwood KA-907 preamp and Pioneer SA-8100 integrated amplifier also sound great.
I go back and forth between the 2 amps and my WA6 SE all the time.
All sound different but great!!

dscn2149800x600.jpg

dscn2265800x600.jpg

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Kenwood KA-907 preamp and Pioneer SA-8100 integrated amplifier also sound great.
I go back and forth between the 2 amps and my WA6 SE all the time.
All sound different but great!!

dscn2149800x600.jpg

dscn2265800x600.jpg

Love the vintage look. Nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 22
Well, I own the A&R Cambridge C200 Preamp (I think this is from the late 70's... it was part of my dad's Tannoy speaker rig) which has a headphone out with dedicated amplification stage and tone controls, and pure power wise it actually bests my WA6... it is VERY powerful. My K701 sound the best out of this amp, probably due to all the current it feeds. It has great bass, very wide soundstage and crisp treble. Midrange isn't as smooth or as revealing as the WA6 but they still hold their own. The only major downside with this amp is that it has noticeable hiss with most of the more sensitive headphones which makes it unusable with rest of my gear (K701 has very low sensitivity so you can't really detect it with that).

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #14 of 22
Yep, vintage receivers are often overlooked here. A lot of them are terrific and a bargain compared to some current production headphone amps. Enjoy it!

Apr 6, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, vintage receivers are often overlooked here. A lot of them are terrific and a bargain compared to some current production headphone amps. Enjoy it!

thanks. i wish i still had my marantz to compare the setton with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back