My vintage receiver headphone out sounds better than my Woo Audio
Apr 6, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #16 of 22
Old gear is up for grabs, it takes space and people buy new stuff. The old gear can be found for very low prices.

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #17 of 22
Vintage recievers can be seriously good. And quite a good bargain but the trick is to find a good one. My early 70s Marantz 2270 has an excellent headphone out and easily beats the Hornet but in all fairness, the Hornet is a portable amp.

I've compared my vintage Marantz to the cheap Little Dot 2+ and in ways it does beat the Little Dot but in some ways, I found the Little Dot to be more listenable and natural. So it can also boil down to personal taste.

I think a smart thing for a budget audiophile to do is to get a good vintage reciever preferably from the 70s and pair it with a good used Headphone. With this combination you can get some seriously good hi fi territory without breaking the bank baby.

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, vintage receivers are often overlooked here. A lot of them are terrific and a bargain compared to some current production headphone amps. Enjoy it!

My problem atm is knowing where and what to look for. Vintage gear seems difficult to find here in Australia.

Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #19 of 22
Thrift stores sometimes have good vintage stuff, but it may be abused or broken in one way or another.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thrift stores sometimes have good vintage stuff, but it may be abused or broken in one way or another.

Its where i got mine. As long as the headphone out is working. It's all you need.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My problem atm is knowing where and what to look for. Vintage gear seems difficult to find here in Australia.

Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

You don't have to buy vintage stuff; anything before about 2002, when the HT craze changed the whole face of hi-fi, can give excellent results so long as you stick with the more credible brands (Marantz, NAD, Rotel etc ). I bought a 2001 Yamaha RX-396 on Ebay for $75 and it drives my 650s just fine.

That said, beware of profiteering on Ebay. Be prepared to wait for a bargain.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #22 of 22
 I have a ray samuels raptor otl amp .And my vintage recapped concept 16.5 sounds much more musical as well with my akg 701 phones .The superiority does probably have something to do with the humongous power supply in my vintage receiver . The raptor weighs maybe eight pounds all told .The power supply in the raptor is pretty substantial for a headphone amp but compared to my concept 16.5 it is no more than a toy. The concept weighs in at a back breaking 67 pounds . With two huge power transformers. So that I am sure has something to do with the effortless sound coming from my 16.5s headphone  output .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back