My Trip to Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas W/pics
Jan 14, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller

[...]
I bought my wife the Marantz SACD player.She loves it to death.Since she has never been a big audio fan I jumped at the chance to get her involved in some small way.She really enjoyed
[...]

LOL, "in some small way"
a small way would have been a pair off Koss KSC-50...
biggrin.gif

That's one serious player you got there... I'm sure both of you are enjoying it a lot.

Bye

Redwoood

Jan 14, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

So,I am looking to sell it to one of my contracts and open an audio store.that's why i bought so much stuff at CES this past weekend.I am working hard to get this business going and when I do I will of course offer discounts to head-fiers.

I seriously envy you. When I grow up, that's what I want to do...

Jan 14, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #18 of 48
DH,
I will try to stick with "high value" lines and equipment.that means no $30,000.00 monoblocs or $85,000.00 horns.I am trying to maintain this narrow focus and make some money at the same time,we'll see.I will carry any quality headphone related product I can get my hands on.I am working on some deals for stuff we all use and want to use. I will offer full reviews for the stuff you may me unfamiliar with,such as the Rega Ear,GW Labs Cyclops and QED headamps.I have the Rega and QED amps now and the GW labs will be here soon.I will let you know how they all sound.

Jan 14, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #19 of 48
Very nice! And good luck with your intended business.

Small question: I noticed that GW Labs seems to have 3 amps -- two "power" and one "integrated" -- but no pre-amps, yet all of them have headphone jacks. How is that supposed to work -- will you always need a pre-amp in the cases of the power amps? I guess you're trying the integrated?

Jan 14, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Phillips will not import the HP line of phones to the US and they will be discontinued entirely mid-year.

Wait just a second there -- are you sure about this? Why? This is big news (especially with my HP890s in the mail!)

Jan 14, 2002 at 9:31 PM Post #21 of 48
All that sexy equipment, how did you keep your composure? I don't see any blurred motion in the photos.
biggrin.gif

Will your store be open by September? Cause I'll be out of Navy basic training in the great lakes by then. And I'll have extra money waiting for me in my account. =)

I also need to get a SACD player after listening to Miles Davis - Kind of Blue @ Circuit City . I couldn't resist any longer. But I'll have to settle for something far less expensive as the Marantz SA-1.

Jan 14, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Panasonic will produce a "high end"pcdp later in the year geared toward audiophiles.
Marantz will finally import the very good pcdp they make and sell everywhere else in the world.(I saw and heard it)

Hey Tube, congratulations on the direct reviews. Do you have a picure of that Marantz player? And, what else do ypu know about that Panasonic player? You know, like a serial number or something, perhaps more info. Thanks.

And, hey, congrats also on the store bussiness. If you need a salesman who speaks four languages let me know. Don't give any money for it, just let me keep stuff from the store.
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

She really enjoyed CES and has a new-found love of low-powered SET amps and horn speaker drivers.

Same thing happened to me at last years Home Entertainment Show in NY.My wife had zero interest in audio equipment but has always tolerated my so called hobby (passion ?)
But she perked up in the Classic Audio room and was impressed with the Orpheus.
f corse purchasing the two systems would set me back about $50K

NOT !!!!!!!!!!

"so babe,howsa 'bout some second hand LaScalas and an MG Head"
very_evil_smiley.gif

Rickster is workin' on both

Nice job BTW

Jan 15, 2002 at 4:56 AM Post #25 of 48
Wow, it is just me or does headphone listening seem to be getting much more attention now from press/manufacturers than it used to? I think a big part of this must be related to Headroom's constant evangelism.

Great news about you opening an audio store. I wish you the best of luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #26 of 48
Yeah, have fun. Maybe make a dealer arrangement with HeadRoom so you can sell their amps? I've always thought HeadRoom should do franchises
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #27 of 48
The Panasonic Pcdp I speak of has not been introduced yet.I was told by the VP of North American something(I can't find her card)that there is a pcdp coming with "very high sound quality".she promised it would be oustanding.She did not make mention of price or release dates.I gotta say of all the stuff I heard this is the most likely to be certain.This lady was direct and to-the-point.

the Marantz pcdp was a slim all-metal unit with a black and silver lid and bright blue scrolling display.It looked really nice and sounded very good.I was shown this player only after I bought the SACD player for my wife and struck up a converstion with the rep,casually mentioning that I am an avid headphone lover.He then excused himself,asking me to wait till he gets back,and comes back with the player.I was not sure if it was OK to snap a pic so I didn't.He told me this player is available in other parts of the world,although I have not seen it on any site or found any mention of it anywhere.Trust me,it exists.He did say he was "pretty sure" we would get it stateside.I did not buy an SA-1 SACD player.They just introduced a lower priced model in a slimmer chassis.I do not know what retail will be.I have not heard this player at home yet,as it has not arrived(we shipped it UPS from the Las Vegas convention center)

At the Phillips display I saw no headphones and only two pcdps.I asked about the absence of the headphones.I was told by a woman with what I believe was a heavy Dutch accent that Phillips was getting out of the "personal electronics"market.She further explained that is why there were NO headphones and none would be coming to the USA.I asked her what she specifically meant and she said"we will soon stop making headphones and things".Her words not mine.I did get her card and I took a picture of her.If she is incorrect or just dishonest I can only tell you what she told me.You can ask Tyll or anybody else who saw the Phillips display if they say or heard anthing different.I was a little shocked as well.

Jan 15, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #28 of 48
Awwww! The MG Head OTL has a cage??? Mine did not come with one
mad.gif
frown.gif
eek.gif

Thanks for the pics!

Jan 15, 2002 at 7:05 AM Post #29 of 48
Hmm . . . we could do a little investigative reporting, though, if you have her contact information -- hell, give it to me, I'll do some follow up. Not really for any purpose other than my own edification, and to let people know that if they want these phones in the US, they'd better get them soon.

It just seems fishy that Philips would introduce a new line of headphones in the fall, and then discontinue them the following summer, but companies do strange things sometimes. It is pretty frickin hard to find their headphone product line on their European web pages anyways (hint: they aren't listed under audio), so maybe they are hiding them.

Thanks for the info though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back