My Trip to Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas W/pics
Jan 14, 2002 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
I took about 400 pictures of all kinds of neat stuff I saw and heard at the Consumer electronics show and the T.H.E. show,both from Vegas.I had a great time and bought lots of new headphone stuff.I also ran into Doug Schneider from Soundstage magazine,he says hello to all the Chicago area head-fiers.I also saw Tyll from Headroom but did not get a chance to speak to him as I almost didn't recognize him not wearing a floral sportshirt.There are a lot more pics than the ones posted to this album but my ISP is really slow tonite.I will post other pics later.See the link below.

Some stuff I learned:this is all right from the sources(manufacturers and distributors)
Phillips will not import the HP line of phones to the US and they will be discontinued entirely mid-year.
Panasonic will produce a "high end"pcdp later in the year geared toward audiophiles.
Marantz will finally import the very good pcdp they make and sell everywhere else in the world.(I saw and heard it)
Stax has lots of new stuff coming(according to Yama imports)
I saw and heard a new cable for the Senn HD600 from Cardas(it was very good sounding but not as stiff as the clou cables)
ASL has a new pre/headamp coming with multiple in/outputs(a pic is in my album)
I'm sure I missed some stuff.I will post more pics and thoughts after I get some sleep.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292115111

Jan 14, 2002 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 48
Quote:

Panasonic will produce a "high end"pcdp later in the year geared toward audiophiles.

Marantz will finally import the very good pcdp they make and sell everywhere else in the world.(I saw and heard it)

Exciting! Maybe I should hold off on the SlimX when I go to Korea later this month...

Jan 14, 2002 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 48
Nice pics, Tube. Thanks for sharing......bet it was lots of fun! By the way, what was your impression of the Marantz pcdp?

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2002 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 48
"The GW Labs Cyclops is a tube integrated amp that has a built in tube headamp. It sounded awesome. It had a nice full soundstage and excellent dynamics. This is the best vocal amp I have heard so far."

Anything else to say about it? It looks really cool and outlandishly expensive.

Thanks for the report, btw!

Jan 14, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 48
Hey Xander since you asked,

My full time job is Dad to three great kids,husband to my awsome wife.In the real,Realworld I am a Chicago Firefighter.As most firefighters do,I have a side gig since the Firefighter job is essentially part-time(24hrs on,48hrs off).I own an electrical contracting business that I'm looking to get out of in a big way.It has grown out of my control and I do not have the time or energy to further commit to its growth.So,I am looking to sell it to one of my contracts and open an audio store.that's why i bought so much stuff at CES this past weekend.I am working hard to get this business going and when I do I will of course offer discounts to head-fiers.

I bought my wife the Marantz SACD player.She loves it to death.Since she has never been a big audio fan I jumped at the chance to get her involved in some small way.She really enjoyed CES and has a new-found love of low-powered SET amps and horn speaker drivers.

I bought some stuff back that I will offer to head-fiers first.I can't say yet as I am still working out dealer agreements.But you guys get first shot at some great deals,I promise.

That GW labs Cyclops was indeed awsome,I tried to buy it but the designer promised it to a mag for a review.I also cannot say which mag under a pending dealer agreement.i should have one soon and I will give it a full audition before I try to sell one to anybody.It retails for only $895.00(if we can work out a deal I will sell it for less)puts out 12wpc push-pull.It also has a really cool eye-tube that glows when it is powered up.

http://www.gw-labs.com check here for more info on the Cyclops.

Jude,The guys at BPT want to know when you are going to post the review of the power supply/conditioner.I bought a couple of these myself they are awesome and an oustanding deal.

guys please don't ask what lines I'll carry,cause I don't yet know for sure myself but I will have lots of headphone stuff.stay tuned.

Jan 14, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Jude,The guys at BPT want to know when you are going to post the review of the power supply/conditioner.I bought a couple of these myself they are awesome and an oustanding deal.

LOL! You saw Chris there, eh? Yeah, I'm way behind schedule on reviews due to work and personal events.

I'm trying to finish up the BP-3 review and Cardas Neutral Reference/Powerlink reviews now. I was changing/editing the opening of the Cardas one yesterday with Moo's help.

On the BP-3 unit, I have not once regretted buying it, and will fully recommend BPT products (and balanced power) in my review.

Congratulations on the move to open your own hi-fi store, by the way!

Jan 14, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 48
yeah,Acid you can come work for me.....after you pass a drugscreening LOL!!!!!

Jan 14, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller

ROTFLMAO!

George

Jan 14, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Tuberoller said...

LOL!

Oh yeah, and I've been meaning to do a BPT review as well, though it will doubtless be less thorough than jude's.

Tuberoller, is your audio store going to cater mostly to speaker listeners, or will it focus more on the upstream equipment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back