My SR60i Mod.
Aug 27, 2011 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Boond

Head-Fier
Hello,
I decided to mod my SR60is.  Here is a photo-documentary of my processes.  Feel free to comment/ criticize.  Just bear in mind that :
a) I'm 15 years old
b) This was my first attempt at anything like this
c)This was done for under $20 (not including the headphones of course)

Honestly, I would give the overall project a 7/10.  The cosmetic outcome left a little to be desired but the sound improvement is actually quite good.

1) materials:
Grado SR60s
Plastic paint
coarse sand paper
fine sandpaper
adhesive felt

Steaming them open

That ring just pops out.  Before and after shots of the paint and sanding

the finished product

Thanks for reading.

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 18
Looks clean man, let's hope the 'chip resistance' holds up.

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 18
You sprayed them silver.

Why steam them open?

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 18
I was planning on removing the grill and replaceing it with some wire.  I just couldn't find any.  I will be changing the grill soon so I haven't sealed the glue yet.

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
I was planning on removing the grill and replaceing it with some wire.  I just couldn't find any.  I will be changing the grill soon so I haven't sealed the glue yet.

Do you live in the U.S.?  Head to a Dollar Tree store and pick up a letter rack for $1.00.  It's made from heavy duty mesh and you can make 10 - 15 pair of cup grills with one basket.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
Do you live in the U.S.?  Head to a Dollar Tree store and pick up a letter rack for $1.00.  It's made from heavy duty mesh and you can make 10 - 15 pair of cup grills with one basket.

I live in Australia but i'm sure i can find a similar store.  Thanks for the tip.

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
Another thing i've noticed is, It's not very smooth, i might need to coat it with something,

You might have to wet sand the paint between coats.  Using a sandpaper designed for wet sanding should work well.  These sandpapers usually come in high ranges - for example, 4,000 grit.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #12 of 18
Looks very clean to me but there is something missing. I think some contrast between the cup and the grills would look nice, a two tone perhaps. I would be interested to know how well the paint stays as I would be worried about chips or scratches.

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #14 of 18
I can't seem to find anything.  I've been to hardware stores, discount stores and stationary stores and the closest thing I can find is this:

Even though I'm looking for something more like this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back