My Singlepower Supra Experience - Why mine almost blew up like a Hand Grenade (and yours might too)
Aug 18, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #256 of 314
Well, I guess I should feel lucky that my old Extreme died a gentle death (the same amp as moonboy). But now I am a little paranoid. Should we be worried about other tube amps with big caps in them that are sold by DIYers or small businesses whose products are not tested/approved by the FCC or some other agency? Specifically, I have a Woo Audio WA5-LE. I assume that there are some big caps in that PS/AMP. There are lots of pictures of the WA5 insides that are running around head-fi and they *look* well built. I assume that the amp is properly built and safe but I really have no way of knowing this. I just assumed that if it were not, someone would have said something. Of course, this is what I thought about the Extreme I owned before the SP amps started dying.

So, should I open up the WA5-LE and take pics or should I not worry. Sorry for being so paranoid (and taking the thread off course a bit), but I get worried easily - especially after owning a SP amp.
tongue.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #257 of 314
Tube amps have been in use for almost a century. I don't think there is reason to extrapolate beyond this one problem. I'd say don't worry about your Woo - just enjoy it. Everything I have ever seen or read about Woo amps seems very, very sound.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #258 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tube amps have been in use for almost a century. I don't think there is reason to extrapolate beyond this one problem. I'd say don't worry about your Woo - just enjoy it. Everything I have ever seen or read about Woo amps seems very, very sound.

I would concur w/ your assesment. Besides I am not aware of any similar problems reported w/ Woo amps.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #259 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 8 amp bridge has 4 wires. A plus wire, a minus wire, and 2 ac wires.

So the plus wire goes to either of the 2 anode connections pointing to the
inside of the chassis, the minus wire goes to either of the 2 cathode
connections at the outer edge of the chassis and the AC wires, one
goes to the front junction of the 2 diodes, and the other goes to the
back junction of the 2 diodes.

like this

singlepowerdiodes.jpg

You are going to kill me w/ my newbie comment. In the diagram you show a third row of four holes to the left of the original 8 holes. Does this third row represent hidden holes under the board that would only be seen if the board is remove and you are able to see the other side? Thanks.

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #260 of 314
Kevin can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he was trying to show the middle row as being the pins coming off the bridge package. Necessary so that you could see how the bridge is wired into the existing diode holes.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #262 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Woo amps are very well made by people that know what they are doing so no need to worry there.

This is what I thought but it is good to have some confirmation.
smile.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #263 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kevin can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he was trying to show the middle row as being the pins coming off the bridge package. Necessary so that you could see how the bridge is wired into the existing diode holes.

Thanks.

Aug 21, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #264 of 314
My MPX3 uses 3 6CG7 tubes. The caps are shorter than the transformer shell. I think it gets warm to the touch but not hot. This is one of the first generation MPX3's. I may open it up later to see inside.

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #265 of 314
Aug 29, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #267 of 314
My Singlepower MPX3 Slam SE had three areas that needed attention. Two of them were critical and the third not so if I refrain from using 6BL7-GT tubes (2) as the output tubes. Even if I were to use them the demise of the power transformer (currently a Hammonds 372BX) was not considered to be an imminent one since the total draw would be 3.3 amps and the 372BX can supply 3 amps. Nonetheless here is a picture of the power transformer.

TransformerInstalledPicture1.jpg

According to the cursory review/evaluation of the pictures I posted at Head-Fi Dr. Gilmore indicated I needed to install bleeder resistors on the two large power caps. Here is a picture of the installed resistors across the poles of the power caps.

DSCN0729withbleedresistorsinstalled.jpg

The second area that needed immediate attention was the 4 diodes, which were overheating and scorching the board. Here is a picture of the as found condition followed by a picture with them removed.

Diodedetail.jpg

SinglepowerMPX3DiodesRemoved.jpg

I exchanged a few PM and post with Dr. Gilmore and he recommended a couple of alternatives. Of these I chose FDS16DT diodes and chose to purchase heat sinks for them. Enclosed is a picture of them installed.

SinglepowerMPX3NewDiodeswithHeatSin.jpg

The amp is up and running w/ no smoke coming out of neither it nor are there any strange noises coming out of the headphones, thus I consider the work a success. Cheers and thanks to Dr. Gilmore for his patience and technical expertise.

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #268 of 314
Miguel, I think that is fantastic that with the help of Kevin, you were able to take an amp that you love that had issues, and reconfigure it into a safe, properly spec'd new unit.

Enjoy your "new" toy, dude.

Another potential hand grenade bites the dust!

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #269 of 314
Miguel: Congrats on the successful refurbishing of the amp (now safe and sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back