My Singlepower Supra Experience - Why mine almost blew up like a Hand Grenade (and yours might too)
Aug 29, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #271 of 314
you have the diodes insulated from the heatsink with thermal washers and
a piece of plastic on the screw so that the heatsinks are not electrically hot??

datasheet on those diodes ??

The circuit board is scortched pretty good, at least i won't get any worse.
The circuit lands on the other side should be ok.

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #273 of 314
Ok, opened the amp and carefully removed the insulating film which I thought was to aid in transfering heat from the diode to the heat sink.
redface.gif
I guess not having as good a heat transfer w/ the correct paste is better than having a piece of insulation.
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #274 of 314
The silicone insulating film is always a good idea.. That and
the insulating washer on the screw. Otherwise the heatsinks would be
electrically hot and it they touch, they can short out.

Put the thermal washers back in, and make sure none of the heatsinks
touch each other. Especially the two on the right. Bend parts of the
heatsinks if necessary to make sure.

The two on the left have the cathodes tied together anyway, so its
not as much of a problem.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #276 of 314
PhilS Supra has been repaired/updated/made safe.

Here is his picture of the unit.

P1000198.jpg

100K 2 watt resistors were placed across the juice can caps. The rectifier diodes for both high voltage and filaments were replaced with HexFREDs. The transformer wiring through the chassis had additional insulation added to it.

I also cleaned up the wire routing and dressed everything up.

bolder-albums-my-album-picture3333-suprapsrepair.jpg

Using VT-231 for a driver and 6SN7s for outputs into a pair of HD-600s, everything sounds very sweet. This amp should be good for quite a long time.

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #277 of 314
Miguel, You replaced the filament diodes, but did you also replace the high voltage diodes? I notice you don't have the high power option, like I do, so perhaps you don't have a problem. I think I need to replace the diodes and/or simply do away with the high power option. (I have bigger filament diodes than you did, but may replace them. I am not sure how to read them). I will be getting back to this after RMAF.

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #278 of 314
Hi Frihed89, I would not even know which are the high voltage diodes!
frown.gif
The ones I replaced were the ones suggested by various readers. I will tell you the amp is working very nice and I believe cooler than before. Cheers.

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #279 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to the cursory review/evaluation of the pictures I posted at Head-Fi Dr. Gilmore indicated I needed to install bleeder resistors on the two large power caps. Here is a picture of the installed resistors across the poles of the power caps.

DSCN0729withbleedresistorsinstalled.jpg

What is the part number for these bleeder resistors?

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #280 of 314
Quote:

Hi Frihed89, I would not even know which are the high voltage diodes!
frown.gif
The ones I replaced were the ones suggested by various readers. I will tell you the amp is working very nice and I believe cooler than before. Cheers.

The ones you replaced were the 4 on the lower right, correct? The high power diodes are on the upper right - 2 of them- one is numbered D51. Dr. Gilmore told me that I should check the size, which I haven't done yet because the amp and I are in different places.

I like your work and am glad you are happy.

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #283 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by TreAdidas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the part number for these bleeder resistors?

Those were 100Kohms 1 watt resistors if memory serves me right. But you could use up to 150Kohms 2 watt resistors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by junerpp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, this is the internal pics of my MPX3 Slam SE with supra transformer upgrade. Anyone can help to point out the potential danger? Thanks for any useful info.

You should post a larger size pic. Not being an expert I can see your board is getting cooked by the diodes (lower right corner) and you should install bleeder resistors on the large power caps. You should also remove the transformer cover to see what kind you have installed.

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #284 of 314
Quote:

Those were 100Kohms 1 watt resistors if memory serves me right. But you could use up to 150Kohms 2 watt resistors.

You should post a larger size pic. Not being an expert I can see your board is getting cooked by the diodes (lower right corner) and you should install bleeder resistors on the large power caps. You should also remove the transformer cover to see what kind you have installed.

Hi Miguel, Thanks for suggestion. I will try to take more pics.

Oct 4, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #285 of 314
Sorry to be somewhat off-topic, but I haven't had time to read all of these posts yet. But I did read the very first post, and noticed the rat's nest of a very poor design. I cannot believe I spoke to the designer (Mikail??) a few years ago and how badly I wanted one of these amp. Has anything changed? Did the OP somehow receive a prototype model? What's the top (non-Chinese) tube amp these days that a serious listener should consider to drive my AKG 701 and HD600 phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back