My Sharp HP-MD33 mod
May 24, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #61 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by loco26
no double-mod needed here, just put the foam over the sound tube opening and the MD-33 probably sound fine.

I think that will satisfy most listeners. I wanted the minimal change in sound presentation that would reduce sibilance. Bonus is that it is fully reversible. -sf

May 24, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #62 of 65
The exact same mod can be done for EX51/71s. You can either use the wax guard, or a piece of duct tape with some holes in it. Either way, they work.

Hardest part is getting the sound balance right (ie, stuffing the foam in such a way that you get the same amount of foam, but also in the same manner). It bugged me enough that I chucked my EX51 and kept the tips for one of the three EX71s...

c'est la vie, but I had more success with duct taping the three holes on the EX71. Could the same be done with MD33s?

May 25, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #63 of 65
..am i the only one who perceive a clearly reduced details capabilities once you put some stuff in the canal tube ?
ok , the metallic edge is gone , this is true thing also too my ears , part of the bass groove's gone too , so bass "appears" also less artificial too .. but details are gone too (!) , that translates in : all is quite a lot more muffed , less separation , sound in general isn't clear at all , stage is flatter .. frqs. melted and the frq. focus/range is shifted towards the bass

what do you hear when you alternate mod/unmod md33 ?

they sound more like mx500 to me ( which are not so good earbuds imho )
with the cotton + little covering sponge mod

I didn't put so much cotton stuff in
tongue.gif
I swear it ;

let's say less then 1/3 of what loco's walktrough pictures shows

May 25, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #64 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
..am i the only one who perceive a clearly reduced details capabilities one you put some stuff in the canal tube ?
ok , the metallic edge is gone , this is true thing also too my ears , part of the bass groove's gone too , so bass seems to be less artificial too .. but details are gone too (!) , that translates in : all is quite a lot more muffed , less separation , sound in general isn't clear at all , stage is flatter .. frqs. melted and the frq. focus/range is shifted towards the bass

the mod definitely has positive and negative effects (no doubt about that), the negative ones are just not that big for me. as I said before, a lot has to do with the source, too. so if you miss the details that much, I'd probably not put cotton wool into the sound tube at all, just stay with the foam mod then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
I didn't put so much cotton stuff in
tongue.gif
I swear it ;

let's say less then 1/3 of what loco's walktrough pictures shows

well I didn't use the amount of cotton wool that is shown on the first picture either. as far as I remember, I didn't even needed it for both sides... so don't take it 1:1
wink.gif

EDIT: I wonder if there is any better "material" that can be put into the sound tube to make the MD33 sound even better... but I have no idea what that could be...
confused.gif

Aug 30, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #65 of 65
the double-mod saved my EP-630 (which I modded in the same way as the MD33) today when I forgot to take them out of my jeans before doing the laundry... no damage to the driver, the cotton wool took all the water
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back