My Sharp HP-MD33 mod
Mar 8, 2004 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

DigDub

Headphoneus Supremus
i find the sharp md33 canalphones to have an exaggerated mid-bass and metallic highs. so i decided to try modding it.

what you need:
1. sponge covers for normal earbuds.
2. filters for shure e2c canalphones. (optional. for cosmetic purposes only
tongue.gif
)

how to do it:
1. poke through the wire mesh that is covering the sound tube with a sharp object, prefably a pair of scissors. take care not to go too deep in or else you will poke the drivers inside. remove the wire mesh.
2. cut out a piece of sponge roughly 0.5x0.5 centimetres and stuff it inside the sound tube, flushed with the opening of the sound tube.
3. cover the sound tube opening with a piece of the filter. the filter's diameter will fit the sound tube opening perfecly.
4. repeat steps 1-3 for the other side.

result:
the highs do not sound so metallic anymore and is smoother and more natural. the mids, especially vocals, sounds warmer and more 'forward'. the bass is lower and the exaggerated mid-bass is gone. but the bass still remains tight and powerful. i can feel the bass drums literally kicking in my ears.

the bass of the md33 used to sound 'plastic', like you were listening to music with plastic speakers. this may be attributed to the large sound holes which are made out of plastic. when air is pushed through it, they sound plastic due to the sound bouncing around inside. i guess the sponge had a damping effect on the walls of the sound tube.

overall, the sound is now smoother and balanced, compared to the when it was unmodded, which sounded edgy and artificial. and i must give credit to sharp for making such a high quality pair of phones. the drivers inside (viewed from the sound tube opening) are covered by a metal plate with openings, which reminds me of fontopia 'silent cap' earphones that came with the early sony walkmans. the cable is also quite thick and the build of the phones are solid. some parts of the phones are even made out of metal (aluminium i think), which is a nice touch and rare in earbud-type phone nowadays.

with the modded md33 and its build quality and looks, these phones now sound and look like a milliona dollars.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 65
Very interesting! Any specific way or stuffing sponge piece into the tube?
Also, how do you remove metal mesh?

Mar 8, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by visia
Very interesting! Any specific way or stuffing sponge piece into the tube?
Also, how do you remove metal mesh?

just stuff the whole piece of sponge inside, blocking the tube. You can remove the wire mesh by poking through it with a pair of scissors and pulling it out. the wire mesh is only glued around the edges. the drivers are pretty deep in, but there is still a chance you might poke the drivers if you not careful enough.

Mar 8, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by DigDub
its like a little piece of round translucent cloth. it is used to cover shure e2c's canalphones tube opening.

Is there any place to buy these separately, or get some sort of substitute?
This greatly interests me, since I'm a poor guy that wants canalphones that aren't the plugs.

Mar 9, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 65
DigDub, your take on these phones unmodded is exactly what I heard from them. uncanny. or Very Can-ny. Whatever. Anyway, this looks to be a brilliant mod. When I get back home I will be taking a crack at it. If it works anywhere near as well as you said these will make fantastic summer phones.

About the E2c filters/wax guards, anyone care to do Paypal split? If four of us want to put in, say, $4.00 its would give a fifth person a freebie for bothering to lick the stamps. OK, I'm cheap, but it's just a thought...

Mar 10, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 65
DigDub, so how do the moded HP-MD33 compare to more expensive ones: like Shures and Etys?

Mar 11, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by visia
DigDub, so how do the moded HP-MD33 compare to more expensive ones: like Shures and Etys?

i prefer the modded sharp to the e2c. the e2c had weak treble. but it can't beat the ety though. ety is more transparent. but the sharp's bass is stronger than the ety.

Mar 11, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #13 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Bolt San
And is there any way to provide pictures?
I want to see how they look modded.
Thanks.

hmmm...my brother has taken the digital camera away. they look pretty much the same except the silver wire mesh is gone and is now replaced by the shure wax guard instead.

Mar 11, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 65
Great! Thanks for the info. I cannot wait for the wax guards from Shure to arrive to try it.

Mar 11, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 65
Great! Thanks for the info. I cannot wait for the wax guards from Shure to arrive to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back