My Sharp HP-MD33 mod
Sep 29, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #31 of 65
I don't think the filter has anything to do with the sound change, they're only little pieces of cloth. It's the foam stuffed into the chamber that changes the sound. The stock MD-33's have slightly shrill highs, so the foam smooths them out. The E2c's just have rolled off highs because of the unit, not the filter.

Nov 9, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #32 of 65
If someone could post some shots of the mod, i think many would be pleased as some more head-fiers, me included, seem to be getting some Sharp md33s lately

Nov 9, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #33 of 65
I got the 33 4 days ago (kudos Audiocube, from Japan to the Netherlands in <70 hrs after ordering) and have been unhappy with them. I prefer my Shure E2, and don't think the Sharps are better then the Sonys hanging around here (E70/71/NX1).
I find them just as sharp and distorted in the midhigh as the 71.
But the Sharps are far more comfortable then the Shures, so I decided, why not? Using the foam I got tamed treble but boomy bass. It kind of propped up. So I tried cotton wool. Nice sound, less treble, bass a little bit boomy, and it seems possibl to tune the tilt of the balance by the thickness of the wadding. But it still doesn't sound as good as the Shure, but the improved comfort (like good hifi, letting you forget the elctronics) is worth something too.
I'm getting curious about different kinds of materials used for filling...

Nov 9, 2004 at 11:42 PM Post #34 of 65
cover the ports on the back of the driver.

You know how the sound gets of the grado when you cover the backside of the cup with your hand? it gets real thin and forward sounding. Cover the port holes on the back of the buds it might thin the bass a little.

here is what i did to my EX71

attachment.php

Nov 10, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #35 of 65
Like everyone else, I am quite pleased with the Sharps. After reading Digdub mod, I tried various materials as dampening to reduce some of the brightness. These can be punched out with a regular paper hole punch, and will fit exactly in the cupped end of the unmodified MD33.

I quickly felt that I could indeed appreciate the attenuation of the brightness, but quickly lost the 'openness' or 'clarity' that attracted me in the first place. These circles also fell out easily, and superglue will dampen too much near the screen. (I can't really imagine stuffing material into the tube, unless that result is different.)

Anyway, taking a page from the last 'the Plug' modification, I found that I could cut a little larger circle of standard stretchy earfoam material (not dry stiff type), and hold that over the tube while replacing the rubber seal over it and onto the tube. Its a little tricky, but the result is a very thin layer of earbud material covering the wire mesh screen at the end of the tube held in place by the rubber tip.

Viola- dampening of some of the perhaps over-bright high end wihout loss of the noted clarity. Removable, repalceable, and keeps the end clean of ear wax.

(Did you guys replace the screen somehow with the Digdub mod?)

Enjoy,

Sydsfloyd67

Dec 4, 2004 at 11:17 AM Post #36 of 65
hmm...i just got the md33's and im happy with the way they sound right now.I really wanna improve them but some say curiosity killed the cat...I wouldnt want to order a new pair!

Is it positive that the mod will only improve the sound quality and not lessen it? Any other opinions?

Dec 4, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #37 of 65
It's positive that if you stretch a single layer of spongy ear foam over the tube and replace the cap that, amount of mid-highs will be reduced a tiny bit improving the balance. (Yes).

(If you don't like it, just take it off)

-sf

Dec 4, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #41 of 65
Has anyone found a way to put Triflange tips on the Md33. I have heard of people putting them on the Ex71's before so I assume it can be done with the sharps aswell.

Dec 6, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #43 of 65
so, you cut the wire protectors and add a piece of general ear foam.
But if you dislike the mod, i dont think you can leave the phones without protectors..might get ear wax on the drivers (i suppose noone wants that on hios phone
etysmile.gif
)..

i still have doubts on whether this mod is a good idea..

Dec 6, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #44 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomForce
so, you cut the wire protectors and add a piece of general ear foam.
But if you dislike the mod, i dont think you can leave the phones without protectors..might get ear wax on the drivers (i suppose noone wants that on hios phone
etysmile.gif
)..

i still have doubts on whether this mod is a good idea..

I think sydsfloyd67 said you could leave them on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back