My Sharp HP-MD33 mod
Dec 10, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #46 of 65
I'm trying some materials as well , my ears reports more or less the same you reported after the mod : the bass get deeper in a good way, the midbass bump and the rest of the frq. - so the sound in general - becomes more mellow; some details are gone though and the soundstage is much more compressed to my ears...
I'll try a very thin cotton layer soon
maybe it dampens better

Dec 10, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #47 of 65
I hear little difference as well, but some of the metallic aspects of the upper range are now nicely controlled. That would be on listening to regular popular rock music. (I don't hear any change really in bass and mid -the material I used, which was a spongy kind of earbud cover material for cheapo buds.)

An even thinner cotton or wool might move back a bit brighter, and would be interesting unless those materials don't hold up well in there. The stretch foam does get matted a bit with use, and can be 'fluffed' or replaced perhaps.

-sf

Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
I'm trying some materials as well , my ears reports more or less the same after the mod (in general) the bass get deeper in a good way, the midbass bump and the rest of the frq. - so the sound in general - becomes more mellow; some details are gone though and the soundstage is much more compressed to my ears...
I'll try a very thin cotton layer soon
maybe it dampens better

Feb 18, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #49 of 65
What is this foam thing we're talking about? Is it that foam that covers the normal earbuds (like the one that comes with MP3 players)? I'm about to buy the MD33s but if I don't like it, I might want to try this

THanks

Feb 18, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #51 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxKrNxStyLeZxX
What is this foam thing we're talking about? Is it that foam that covers the normal earbuds (like the one that comes with MP3 players)? I'm about to buy the MD33s but if I don't like it, I might want to try this

THanks

yes, we are referring to the foam that covers normal earbuds.

i think there are 2 mods here. the original mod is to remove the grille and stuff a small piece of foam down the tube and somehow make the sound less ' boxy' and increase the bass quality.

the other mod is to cut a piece of the foam and stretch it over the grille. this mod is for those who do not wish to remove the metal grille. however, i find that this mod does not sound significantly different for me.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #52 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
... i think there are 2 mods here......
the other mod is to cut a piece of the foam and stretch it over the grille. this mod is for those who do not wish to remove the metal grille. however, i find that this mod does not sound significantly different for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

The second mod keeps the Sharps very close to the recognized sound that has drawn all the attention, while taking away just a touch of undersirable metallic ring. It is also entirely reversible, and the density of foam will determine the degree of attenuation.

-sf

Feb 24, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #53 of 65
^Agreed.

I just tried the mod (over the grille) and it boosts the lows while taking off the somewhat metallic sound. It also acts as a second wax-guard
biggrin.gif

I don't see how placing the foam inside would make it any different... does the distance affect sound quality? :/

Mar 4, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #54 of 65
Just tried the mod myself with a bit of earphone foam and they haven't lost much clarity at all but the sibalance is all but gone and that hollow sound is all gone as well.
Before the mod, the sound was not as good as my cresyns(came with iaudio m3l) with the slicsound inserts, but it was close. After the mod they smoke the Cresyns in every way and are four times more comfortable and easy to insert. Thanks for the recommends to get them - they are so good with the mod, I think i'll end up keeping them instead of reselling and leaping to Westone, they are so tiny and cool.

Edit: Cotton seems to limit the sibilance even more, making the music just slightly less fatiguing than with the regular foam.

Apr 26, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #55 of 65
I also tried both of the mods, and because I use them both now (and am very happy with the result), I'm planning to post some pictures in the next couple of days. some people here seem to be a bit sceptical, especially concerning the metal grille removal. all I can say is: I didn't suceed in destroying them, and I doubt that anybody who doesn't really want to kill the drivers will
580smile.gif

May 1, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #56 of 65
finally, I managed to take some pics of my modded MD-33.
once again: be careful when removing the metal grille, or you will probably damage the driver!

remove the tips and get a small peace of cotton wool
sharp_mod1.JPG

remove the metal grille
sharp_mod2.JPG

now you can see the driver
sharp_mod3.JPG

roll the cotton wool up longways
sharp_mod4.JPG

put it into the sound tube opening
sharp_mod5.JPG

move the cotton wool all the way down to the driver
sharp_mod6.JPG

cover it with a piece of foam
(if you have the e2c filters, put them on before you do that!)
sharp_mod7.JPG

put the tips back on
sharp_mod8.JPG

voila!
smily_headphones1.gif

sharp_mod9.JPG

May 1, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #58 of 65
loco, you sure that is the right amount of foam to put in there( that looks like a big piece in your pic) i cut out a 0.4x0.4cm piece for each sound tube and somehom it does not completely cover the sound tube. now, i am kinda scared to wear it because i fear ear wax might get in there.lol

May 2, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #59 of 65
something very important came to my mind when listening to my modded Sharps today: I think they are very great in combination with the IPod if you are that kind of person that wants the IPod to have "more" bass. (I'm talking about the "double-modded" version here, the one I documented with the pics).

together with other sources, however, it's a different kind of story, at least for me. no double-mod needed here, just put the foam over the sound tube opening and the MD-33 probably sound fine.

May 24, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #60 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by loco26
finally, I managed to take some pics of my modded MD-33.
once again: be careful when removing the metal grille, or you will probably damage the driver!

remove the tips and get a small peace of cotton wool
sharp_mod1.JPG

remove the metal grille
sharp_mod2.JPG

now you can see the driver
sharp_mod3.JPG

roll the cotton wool up longways
sharp_mod4.JPG

put it into the sound tube opening
sharp_mod5.JPG

move the cotton wool all the way down to the driver
sharp_mod6.JPG

cover it with a piece of foam
(if you have the e2c filters, put them on before you do that!)
sharp_mod7.JPG

put the tips back on
sharp_mod8.JPG

voila!
smily_headphones1.gif

sharp_mod9.JPG

man i missed this instruction shootout
basshead.gif
till now !

great , thanks

still using the md33 and satisfied , not happy about missing details though ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back