My review of the Hisoundaudio ROCOO-A
May 2, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #121 of 148
By-the-by, an acquaintance in Toronto has the Edirol R-09HR and he says even MP3 playback is far above anything like an IPod. The interface is clunky and 90s-style, but does it really matter when there's 96/24 wave playback and stereo recording in 96/24?

May 2, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #122 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seidhepriest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And, high frequencies are harsh in 44-KHz sampling.

How about 44k hz wav? And 48k hz wav? Do they sound harsh on Rocoo? Can Rocoo handle wav? Believe or not, Hisoundaudio's AMP3 is not very good at wav and flac, it's choppy/jerky in the beginning of every file.

May 2, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #123 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about 44k hz wav? And 48k hz wav? Do they sound harsh on Rocoo? Can Rocoo handle wav? Believe or not, Hisoundaudio's AMP3 is not very good at wav and flac, it's choppy/jerky in the beginning of every file.

That's the snag with 44-KHz sampling, high frequencies are harsh. And Rocoo highlights that.

According to sampling theory (stuff you actually get in university, not dilettante discussions), the detail limit for a sampled signal is sampling frequency/8. This is because 8 coordinates (4 positive, 4 negative) are required to describe a sine wave. 44100/8=5512.5 Hz. 96000/8=12000. 192000/8=24000. Anyway, the "coarseness limit" for CDA is 11025 Hz; everything that's above 10 KHz is mostly perceived as space by humans. Hence the complaints about "flat" sound from people used to vinyl, BTW - space is too poorly defined in CDs. So to highlight space definition, Rocoo's "Hifi" EQ boosts high frequencies. But in 44 KHz, that's already blurry - rarefied, not enough coordinates to describe everything above 11025 Hz (really above 5.5 KHz, but hey). And that's why Rocoo's one and only EQ is fatiguing.

Rocoo-A also has trouble decoding some low-bitrate FLAC files (e. g. highly compressed). The processor stalls with too high compression in FLAC files, e. g. compression 8. The fix is recoding the FLAC file at flac -4 or flac -1. Looks like the processor's cache is too small to handle highly-compressed FLAC files. Wave playback so far has been fine, but the player only handles 44 KHz/16-bit, there's interpolation crackle with 48/16.

May 2, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #124 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There's no choppiness loading the files, but some Q-8 FLAC files can be choppy. There seems to be a minimal bitrate (400 kbps?) below which FLAC files get choppy.

May 17, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #125 of 148
Well, I got the RoCoo A and the sound is OUT OF THIS WORLD. Better than my Cowon S9. More powerful and clear and with better soundstage. Highs, mids and bass are outstanding. Crystal clear highs. Lots of clarity and insane volume without any distortion what so ever (unlike Cowon's). Mine still got the older firmware version with Custom EQ, which I can't live without. By the way I've contacted Jack at HiSoundAudio and asked him to give users the custom EQ as before, since the last firmware has no EQ. I think he will consider this seriously on a future firmware upgrade. Let's hope so. Well, if they allow RockBox, this will be the best MP3 player out there.Sound quality is soooo much better than Sansa Clip+ and Sony A845. It's more like a Cowon on steroids. Even without BBE+, which makes it sound more *natural* than Cowon's. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

May 17, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #126 of 148
This DAP seems interesting. But since I live in Japan this year, I might as well check out the domestic players. Can anyone compare the Kenwood HDD DAP:s and the JVC/Victor Microdrive/flash DAP:s with the Rocoo-A?

May 19, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #127 of 148
I have the new firware from the Hisound Audio site and it has the EQ settings on it so I am confused with MIOW's post.
I have had the Rocoo for a couple of weeks now and am well pleased with it also.

May 24, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #128 of 148
Maybe HiSoundAudio have listened to my request. Thats wonderful news! Please confirm me which is your firmware version.

May 26, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #130 of 148
I'm sensing that the Rocoo is another s:flo2......great SQ, but with problematic firmware/OS. The same sort by order copied problem is even present..... The Rocoo sounds great, but after experience with the s:flo2, I'm not really gonna compromise on other stuff just for the sake of SQ.....

May 26, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #132 of 148

Quote:
Well, I got the RoCoo A and the sound is OUT OF THIS WORLD. Better than my Cowon S9. More powerful and clear and with better soundstage. Highs, mids and bass are outstanding. Crystal clear highs. Lots of clarity and insane volume without any distortion what so ever (unlike Cowon's). Mine still got the older firmware version with Custom EQ, which I can't live without. By the way I've contacted Jack at HiSoundAudio and asked him to give users the custom EQ as before, since the last firmware has no EQ. I think he will consider this seriously on a future firmware upgrade. Let's hope so. Well, if they allow RockBox, this will be the best MP3 player out there.Sound quality is soooo much better than Sansa Clip+ and Sony A845. It's more like a Cowon on steroids. Even without BBE+, which makes it sound more *natural* than Cowon's. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Well, there is some high praise. I'll agree that it is loud: way too loud with most of my IEM's at volume 0 or 1 (don't remember), but in terms of clarity and resolution, not so sure. It has good sparkle (but what HiSound doesn't?) and better resolution than the AMP3 or Studio, but not so sure about the other stuff. 

May 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #134 of 148
I do, but I've not posted them yet. Sorry - I will do that. I actually performs somewhat better than its more expensive cousins, but dear god, the hiss and volume is just too much for iems. I do like it with headphones though, but not enough to make me give up a real amp and TBH, I like a bigger thing with headphones, like the AMP3 Pro. 

Wait, I did post RMAA scores for the HiSound Rocco back in March or February - I forgot! There's no elevated treble going on, what I appreciated was the better performance with the extremely hard to drive FitEar Private 333

May 29, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #135 of 148
thanks shingzeo for the graph.
but i am bit confuse, usually dfkt did a rmaa test without loaded earphones?
i mean can we do a rmaa test without earphones?

sorry for noob question :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back