My review of the Hisoundaudio ROCOO-A
Mar 4, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #91 of 148
so let me get this straight,until now,no mp3 in the market doesnt hiss?wow that must be pretty hard to accomplaish,even my touch hisses so even apple didnt pull it right too..
hissing is really annoying,it is more annoying than listening to $5 pair of iem.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #92 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the hiss is of course new, but details:

Let me put it this way (check the attached JPEG): the channels are swapped L to R. It should have channels in the same position as the Fuze. I think that DFKT might get a chuckle out of this one. At first I didn't know what was going on as I was listening to fast music, but something seemed different. But moving onto some binaural recordings, it became really evident.

The EQ too is swapped where moving the bar to the '+' position lowers the EQ and moving it to the '-' position raises it.

It is a new listening experience. I don't want to judge anyone, but the Rocoo isn't better than the AMP3 other than feeling much nicer in the hands. It is harder to use because the interface is really really clumsy and it resets itself every other power down back to Chinese. I don't know about anyone else but transfer time on this must be USB 1,1 because it is very slow, taking minutes per album rather than seconds.

If the imbalance can be fixed via software update, then it might be okay, but it still reeks of beta.

Edit: in all fairness, the unit I'm borrowing could be defective, but that has been explained to me before. Its hiss is pretty much the same as the AMP3 Pro2 with sensitive iems, and it is almost too loud from volume one with the same earphones. A number of things need to be improved on this beta hardware before it goes to market. Still HiSound would be best to send its spec to Rockbox so they could make hardware as I have a feeling that the software isn't going to fix itself.

You are too enthusiasm to test the new player. In fact ROCOO Still didn't released up to today.

Hisoundaudio is not that stupid to give an official version to rivals to leak their top secret of their products before selling.

I am surprised that Hisoundaudio is really clever to learn from the IPOD, that they have several models developed at the same time to confuse their rivals. then finally release a total different official version.

Let's see what is the really official ROCOO sound.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #94 of 148
Mido - yes, every source hisses - it is up to sensitive phones and ears to suss it. But, some hiss a lot more than others. The Rocoo is one.

Fatman - I am sorry, but this device isn't even in beta stage if that is what it is. It is time to go back to the drawing board, get some good advice, and apply it.

It isn't time to make fun of people who don't 'get' the device or say the next one will be better. By now, we have heard that a lot. There doesn't need to be a next best thing, there needs to be good one now.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #95 of 148
Not to mention, why would they send a much crappier product than a final one to reviewers/multiplicators/public voices like Shigzeo? That would be mighty stupid of the oh-so-clever HiSound people if they wouldn't send their finest, most polished product out for review, something they can stand behind.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #96 of 148
^^ actually, I'm borrowing it. I don't think HiSound want me to review anything after the AMP3 thread where I incessantly called for order with some support on both sides. Fun times, certainly, but I am tired.

I do want them to succeed, but I see them going down the wrong path the entire time. The Rocoo shouldn't be announced as an upcoming device (it shouldn't have a name at this point). The thing should have labels in yellow on it stating that it isn't even close to beta, that it is just a design - what do reviewers think of the size?

Fatman - who is their rival? I don't think there is a production company on this earth who run exactly like HiSound. True, but not sad.

And, if another device came out - a secret device - I think it would be fair to say that it would probably have the same problems. HiSound need to disclose fewer objects, fewer prototypes, and just get working on a realistic product. I'm pretty sure Sansa and Apple pretty much threw together their smallest players: an SoC here, a form factor there and a silly, cheap OS. But both work very well, and sound good to boot.

It can't be as hard as it looks (from watching the developments). It just requires realistic time, and realistic effort.

HiSound: Slow down, take a breath. Don't release anything this year unless you get good feedback from your most scathing of critics and fans alike. Anything else isn't strategic.

If your Studio works, thank the Lord. Who knows.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #97 of 148
I don't like the name Rocoo,what does it even mean?whenever I read it,it reminds me of locoroco game on the psp,such a stupid name.I wish I can buy one of their products because their prices are good,but all these problems and hiss issues and all the time making new mp3 and leave the amp3 1 in the dust without solving it's problems,make me doubt they will ever make an update and fix their players issue till it succeed.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #98 of 148
So there's a test sample of Rocoo-A here too...

And:

Channel swap is a hardware problem (beta batch's really beta, gee).
Last firmware update has made the player keep its language settings. Also the EQ sliders work correctly now.
It doesn't have a voice recorder.
Battery life is 8 hours at volume 32+ with a single-notch EQ boost on 250 Hz slider, driving recabled/modded Denon AH-D1000.
It really is the best-sounding small player out there, for the money at least. It is the best 44-KHz/16-bit player. Panning, volume fades all are very realistic - an instrument in the background sounds like it's really in the background, not just playing at lower volume as with other players. Instrument separation is very good.

The only annoying problem remaining is a fade-in of roughly 1.5 seconds - it cuts off the beginning notes of every music track. There's no gapless playback, either.

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #99 of 148
Battery life will probably be 10-12 hours for efficient supra-aural headphones, and more than 14 hours for earphones (at volume 16, etc.).

Bundled earphones aren't that great - maybe it's just the fit here (the canalphones hаve only single-flange flaps and don't seal well - fall out easily), but they have a low midrange/bass boost, and sag in the 2nd/3rd octave. Which makes, say, electric guitars sound like crackle with little body.

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #101 of 148
Quote:

It does sound good, but I cannot listen to it with any earphones of any quality, good or bad. The hiss is too much and the volume at a setting of 1 is too much for most of my earphones.

Sounds like another mess for hisssound. Inverted channels and constant hissing are pretty much deal breakers. Why do all there players hiss so badly?

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #102 of 148
Well, if you can stand Sony's hiss, the Rocoo is only a step above. The AMP3 and Studio are about on par with Sony's players, so... gauge that how you will. But my Sony for some reason doesn't hiss as badly with earphones as the AMP3 and Studio do. Strange.

I have no idea. I bet they'll explain that it has to do with their High Quality parts, an argument which doesn't hold water.

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #103 of 148
Quote:

Well, if you can stand Sony's hiss, the Rocoo is only a step above. The AMP3 and Studio are about on par with Sony's players, so... gauge that how you will. But my Sony for some reason doesn't hiss as badly with earphones as the AMP3 and Studio do. Strange.

I have no idea. I bet they'll explain that it has to do with their High Quality parts, an argument which doesn't hold water.

After some of their devices have been taken apart hasn't been discovered that they are using fairly cheap and average off the shelf parts for their players?

I could not deal with hiss, none of the players I've owned since 2006 have hissed.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #104 of 148
Yes, they do seem to use normal parts (not cheap, just normal). I suppose they are biased to class A or something. What I want to know, however, is what HiSound consider Class A? Do they mean the circuit? the Op-amps, or are they taking audiophiles for a ride meaning: Class A means grade A.

I wonder if it is the last. The parts are pretty typical of DAP's, but there is more hiss and this makes me wonder why? Is it the implementation of the power source? I have no idea and in some ways, don't really care. I just hope that people who've not been happy with their players or have duds get support.

I would NOT buy the Rocoo or the Studio.

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #105 of 148
Quote:

It does sound good, but I cannot listen to it with any earphones of any quality, good or bad. The hiss is too much and the volume at a setting of 1 is too much for most of my earphones.

That's weird, Rocoo's power is just enough to isolate underground train noise with AH-D1000 (volume 32), and normal listening volume with AKG K-12P earbuds is 14.

BTW, there's no hiss with any headphones or AKG K-12P. There is very, very slight hiss with the bundled canalphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back