My request to Sennheiser regarding the Orpheus
Jul 1, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #46 of 74
But, it's just possible that someone at Sennheiser, who counts, may be reading this thread. Hope springs eternal, you know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
not to be a wet blanket, but in all likelihood that email probably didnt even make past the frontline of their customer service division.
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #47 of 74
Thanks for the offer, but I think that I'll limit myself to the e-mail/s that I've already sent. But, perhaps (and hopefully) others will PM you, regarding your offer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
MIKEG -

If you think this may be the case, see quote. I may have the contact info for the Sennheiser product manager for headphones, at home. PM me, if you want to contact him directly.

not to be a wet blanket, but in all likelihood that email probably didnt even make past the frontline of their customer service division.

- augustwest

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #48 of 74
wmcmanus, I'm thinking about an alternative headband. I've talked to a subcontractor and while they're not willing to do me a cost deal, they are willing to take it on. Portability's what's important for me so I'm doodling some folding designs. At the same time, repeatability of fit (probably something that concerns every 010 listener) is an issue for me and I'm taking this into consideration, not to mention the headphone hair. I really don't know how much call there is for this sort of stuff but if anyone's interested and is aware it won't be cheap (it'll be a substantial percentage of the cost of the 010) I can look at other designs and keep you in the loop.

Jul 1, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #50 of 74
Although I have no personal knowledge regarding Sony's purpose for producing this "restrictive" headband design, their purpose may be to reduce the marketing of used Qualia 010 headphones. By purchasing a used headphone at a lower price, one avoids buying a new one from Sony. Anyone who now wants to sell their used Qualia 010, has to locate a buyer with a similar head size. Seems to me that, if that's Sony's plan, it's a lousy (though fiscally effective) business plan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Ok, this is a bit of a rant, and nothing to do with you personally, PsychoZX. It just so happens that I've been wanting to say the following anyway, and since you kind of brought it up... again, this is about Sony, not you.

You'll pardon my saying so, but it's my opinion that Sony opted for the 3 (pretty much) unadjustable sizes along with the measuring device and need for a "customized" fit more as a marketing ploy to create an uber high end snob appeal image that will support uber high profit margins than to actually create a perfect fit for their customers. If anything, they are about the most difficult to fit headphones ever known to man. It is far easier to get a perfect fit with their SA1000, SA3000 and SA5000 line and they could have easily used a similar headband for the Qualia 010.

Sony has openly and proudly admitted their marketing strategies for the Qualia line, so what I'm saying here is in no way contrived. The idea is to give customers a sense of being special, and this is supported by the boutique atmosphere in their stores, etc. But the sizing thing is a step backwards in my opinion. Back in the days when I was a kid, there were 3 sizes for baseball caps: small, medium and large. Now they have velcro straps that you can adjust to your own liking, providing a much better fit. If I had to measure my head and 'custom' order a cap (in one of three fix sizes) from Champion today, I'd think they're crazy.

I've listened to the Qualia 010's and think they sound wonderful. They also look and feel wonderful and reek of quality in every way... well, except the band that I couldn't adjust to make the Small size fit on my Extra Large head (see my signature).

Jul 1, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #51 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Now I would love to know who's head they referenced small on as you could fit a mellon in that space...

Well... not quite. But of course I'm the Captain of Team Mellon Head, so I think I'd need a medium.

Jul 1, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #52 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Why didn't you have to go through such an extended period of indecision regarding the HE90

Because th HE90 is simply flat-out unbelievable! It just evokes your deepest emotions when you listen with it...

The technical superiority of the Qualia 010 is a lot less obvious...it is like a wall with 4 layers of green paint when you listen with other headphones...2 layers when you listen with the Qualia...and no wall at all when you listen with the HE90.

Quote:

Why has your decision regarding the superiority of the Qualia 010 been such an excruciating one?

You are right...it has been a long and hard proceess of "realization" and I am not sure it is worth the trouble. If I buy a Qualia it will be Stevio's pair...I have gelled with it like nothing else...I dont know why...burn-in? fit?

confused.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #54 of 74
Wow! That's great news...

If I could ask even more(I don't mean to be rude though), I wonder if they could make a few more HE60's if they were so similar to the HE90. I mean, I'd love to purchase a HE90, but they're gonna be way(!) out of my price range. I'm sure there'll be some market here for the HE90 alone, but I think there'd be a much larger market if they released more of both.

There's a thread going with an online petition for the HE60's right now if you want to get a very rough estimate of demand.

Thanks again for the hard work!

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #56 of 74
If Sennheiser were able (and I bet that they are able) to market the HE90 in the price range of the Qualia 010, or even the R10, and were this price openly announced, only then will Jan's solicitation of interest be meaningful. At this point, this seems like a feeler just to see how much money a few die-hards are willing to shell our for the prestige of owning a new HE90. BTW, which non-Sennheiser electrostatic amps. would be good for powering the HE90? I think that a SinglePower amp., and several others were connected to HE90s at some of the recent meets.

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #57 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
which non-Sennheiser electrostatic amps. would be good for powering the HE90?

Rudistor
Stax
Headamp

are the only current production electrostatic amps that I know of. Oh there was a recent post about a $700.00 amp on ebay but I dont have experience with it.

Quote:

I think that a SinglePower amp., and several others were connected to HE90s at some of the recent meets.

It is possible that Mikhail has made an electrrostatic amp but I am surprised that it slipped under my radar. Are you sure about this?

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #59 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
Is the KGSS a good match to the HE90? Is the combo going to be too bright?

---Pat

The he60's are on the bright side for sure. I have been told it's the warmer of the two. Funnily enough a lot of Florida headfiers prefer the 007t with the he90's. This might beone way of synergising the he90's. How it performs as a combo though I couldn't tell you.

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #60 of 74
Guru - I could have sworn that I saw a reference to a SinglePower electrostatic amp. in a writeup of one of the recent meets. Mention was made of connecting an HE90 to this SinglePower amp., but I don't recall any comments regarding performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Rudistor
Stax
Headamp

are the only current production electrostatic amps that I know of. Oh there was a recent post about a $700.00 amp on ebay but I dont have experience with it.

It is possible that Mikhail has made an electrrostatic amp but I am surprised that it slipped under my radar. Are you sure about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back