My request to Sennheiser regarding the Orpheus
Jun 30, 2005 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 4, 2002
Posts
3,171
Likes
11
I sent the following request to Sennheiser Corporation, and I hope that others will also do so:

"There are thousands of headphone users who would very much appreciate it if you would once again manufacture and market your Orpheus HE90 headphone, with (or without) its Orpheus HEV90 amplifier. Please examine the following web site in order to confirm that a very large potential market readily exists for these Sennheiser Orpheus products. This site is at www.head-fi.org and it has many thousands of headphone-using members. And, it is frequently acknowledged by many of these thousands of members, that your Orpheus HE90 headphone is the best one that has ever been made. On the basis of what I have learned at Head-Fi.org, I fully expect that a very large number of HE90s would be sold, if you make them available again. And, were you to market this headphone again, your company's reputation for excellence will be even more widely known. Thank you for your consideration of my request."
 
Jun 30, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 74

Sinbios

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 24, 2004
Posts
1,061
Likes
10
I doubt they'd consider a few thousand as a sizeable market and pull out the old manufacturing equipment... though at 11k a pair, I guess they don't really need a sizeable market
wink.gif
 
Jun 30, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 74

DevilDog

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 26, 2004
Posts
1,031
Likes
13
In a way it would be nice to know that these are available again. But then again, I wouldn't like the idea of not owning Sennheiser's flagship headphone. I feel that I have arguably the best headphone manufactured in the world today. If they started producing these again I couldn't make that claim and I wouldn't be able to attain them, they're just way out of my reach.
But Mike, I know you could pick me up a set.
 
Jun 30, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 74

Chefguru

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Posts
1,875
Likes
274
I don't think they they should keep making the he90, nor will they and this is why. The he90 is yes, maybe the best headphone ever made (there are a few others though that are at the same level), but the price was so high that only in the last year did they finally sell all of them. Sure there is a huge amount of head-fi'ers but only less then 1% of the people hear could afford it. Then you also have to realize that out of that some of them prob already have the he90, and the ones that don't prob don't want it.
The truth about super high end headphones is that they are very hard to sell, and the profit of them is very small. The only value in even doing something of the he90 caliber is to show to the other companies you can make a better product, because truly that is the only reason why the he90 was ever made.

I do how ever think that remaking the he60 would be a good idea. Alot of people would be interested in the he60 (and could afford it). Not only that the he60 is a very good headphone, and fits well in the electrostatic line up ( you have your sr-303, then the sr-404 , then the he60 , then the omega II ).

-peace
 
Jun 30, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 74

PsychoZX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Posts
3,099
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
I'd like the Baby O's to be manufactured again...


me too. id buy a pair.
 
Jun 30, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 74

catscratch

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Posts
3,889
Likes
414
I'd dig the HE60, no problem. The HE90... uh... Well, only if $11k was pocket change. Otherwise, there are better things to do with that much money. I mean, it's great and all, but 11k will put me through half a year of grad school. That's more important.

I think we should sign a petition to Sennheiser to get them to manufacture the HE60 again. And have an option to buy it without the HEV70 amplifier!
icon10.gif
 
Jun 30, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 74

HiGHFLYiN9

Member of the Trade: Zynsonix
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Posts
5,930
Likes
477
Location
East Coast
Unfortunently I don't think that a single email will change Sennheisers decision. A petition signed by all interested parties may have a slightly higher chance of success. They may have even lost the original tools during the fire. However I really would like Sennheiser to have another exotic at their top end, or at the very least a $1000+ headphone to compete with the Grado PS-1, Sony Qualia, Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 and the Stax OmegaII.
 
Jun 30, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 74

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 17, 2003
Posts
1,896
Likes
14
Location
Bay Area, CA
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguru
I don't think they they should keep making the he90, nor will they and this is why. The he90 is yes, maybe the best headphone ever made (there are a few others though that are at the same level), but the price was so high that only in the last year did they finally sell all of them. Sure there is a huge amount of head-fi'ers but only less then 1% of the people hear could afford it. Then you also have to realize that out of that some of them prob already have the he90, and the ones that don't prob don't want it.
The truth about super high end headphones is that they are very hard to sell, and the profit of them is very small. The only value in even doing something of the he90 caliber is to show to the other companies you can make a better product, because truly that is the only reason why the he90 was ever made.

I do how ever think that remaking the he60 would be a good idea. Alot of people would be interested in the he60 (and could afford it). Not only that the he60 is a very good headphone, and fits well in the electrostatic line up ( you have your sr-303, then the sr-404 , then the he60 , then the omega II ).

-peace




Well Chef,
Some folks (like myself) find that the HE90 is clearly a better headphone than all the others, including the exotic MDR-R10 and leagues better than the Omega II. Some of us even consider the HE60 to be better than the Omega II, but of course, all of this is subjective. The HE90 wasn't created to show other companies that Sennheiser could make a superior product; it was created as a statement product that simply states, "If one has no financial and material limitations this is what can be achieved." I'm actually borrowing Alex's HE90 again (this time for over 2 months) and cannot wait to hear them again (I need to by the Stax->HE90 converter for Alex's Blue Hawaii). I do agree with your sentiments regarding the HE60 - it's an excellent headphone that really does come close to the HE90's performance for thousands less. Sure the lack of wood accenting and plastic construction affect the aesthetics and performance slightly, but the cost decrease is worth these minor sacrifices, IMO. I would welcome an opportunity to buy a brand new HE60 for ~ $1200. Throw in a nice $700 McAlister Audio EA-1 All-tube Electrostatic Amp and one has an excellent headphone system for under $2000. Pleaseeeeee....
orphsmile.gif
 
Jun 30, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #12 of 74

Chefguru

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Posts
1,875
Likes
274
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Well Chef,
Some folks (like myself) find that the HE90 is clearly a better headphone than all the others, including the exotic MDR-R10 and leagues better than the Omega II. Some of us even consider the HE60 to be better than the Omega II, but of course, all of this is subjective. The HE90 wasn't created to show other companies that Sennheiser could make a superior product; it was created as a statement product that simply states, "If one has no financial and material limitations this is what can be achieved." I'm actually borrowing Alex's HE90 again (this time for over 2 months) and cannot wait to hear them again (I need to by the Stax->HE90 converter for Alex's Blue Hawaii). I do agree with your sentiments regarding the HE60 - it's an excellent headphone that really does come close to the HE90's performance for thousands less. Sure the lack of wood accenting and plastic construction affect the aesthetics and performance slightly, but the cost decrease is worth these minor sacrifices, IMO. I would welcome an opportunity to buy a brand new HE60 for ~ $1200. Throw in a nice $700 McAlister Audio EA-1 All-tube Electrostatic Amp and one has an excellent headphone system for under $2000. Pleaseeeeee....
orphsmile.gif



Hey leeav hows it going,
I agree , I think the he90 is the best out there right now... but it's not perfect (not that any headphone is). What I mean by it not being perfect is that I do not feel that the he90 does rock to well (but take in to understanding I've only heard the he90 with it's matching hev90). I've never heard the he60 but when I was saying that it fit's nice in the line of electrostatic headphones I was talking about price only ( I wouldn't doubt at all anyone liking it over the omega II).
Anyway my point wasn't that the he90 is better or the he60 is worse, it's just that the he90 is not really "sell able", and there are only a hand full of people who would want to buy one if again available. The he60 on the other hand is affordable and would be worth putting back in to production.
 
Jun 30, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 74

jerryg

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 17, 2005
Posts
152
Likes
0
Orpheus is crap when considering quality per dollar we get~~
orphsmile.gif
so don't even bother about buying it without the amp.
 
Jul 1, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 74

Scrith

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 14, 2004
Posts
969
Likes
39
Location
Redwood City, CA
I'd rather see Sennheiser put everything they've learned since making the HE90 into developing a new headphone that is even better. And hopefully it will be one that doesn't require a special amp.
 
Jul 1, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #15 of 74

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Joined
Nov 10, 2003
Posts
7,362
Likes
18
Ummm...do you even KNOW what you are talking about or is it just a LOT of fun to type random stuff whenever the mood strikes?
confused.gif



Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryg
Orpheus is crap when considering quality per dollar we get~~
orphsmile.gif
so don't even bother about buying it without the amp.



 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top