My request to Sennheiser regarding the Orpheus
Jul 6, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #61 of 74
Yeah, I definately read about it too... looks like we slipped one by Guru.
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #62 of 74
Does anyone know how any of the preceding electrostatic amps. sound in comparison to the HEV90, for powering the HE90? Has anyone done any comparisons and/or evaluations?

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #63 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Does anyone know how any of the preceding electrostatic amps. sound in comparison to the HEV90, for powering the HE90? Has anyone done any comparisons and/or evaluations?

The singlepower amp at the NY meet happens to be mine,I haven't had much time with it as I have been extremely busy, I am also awaiting a upgraded power supply from Mikhail for the amp. I also have my Blackgated Headamp KGSS & the HEV90 on hand ,Just no time to do the comparison,My main system is still in boxes from the NY meet.
Maybe I will hold an electrostatic shootout mini-meet in the near future for some of my Head-Fi close freinds I have made
orphsmile.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #64 of 74
It seems gpalmer liked Bozebutton's amp better than the HEV90.
eek.gif
Please refer to this post.
I can't wait to read the impressions from Bozebuttons himself!
580smile.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #65 of 74
bozebuttons & HugoFreire - Thanks for confirming that the HE90, if bought separately, can now be successfully used with electrostatic amps made by others that Sennheiser. I think that Sennheiser's excuse for taking the Orpheus off the market was their QC difficulties with their HEV90. But, since the HEV90 is no longer essential to the operation of the HE90, there should no longer be any impediment to the reintroduction of Head-Fi members' acknowledged all-time king of headphones; i.e., the HE90. It would also be nice to see Sennheiser assume an equal status to Sony, as producing the world's best headphone. It was real sad to have the best headphone of all time mothballed by Sennheiser, when it could obviously be easily produced by them again, and marketed at a realistic price. Seems really sad that the best that Sennheiser has put forth is their ho hum HD650, when reintroducing their HE90 is probably quite easy.

Jul 6, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #66 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
If Sennheiser were able (and I bet that they are able) to market the HE90 in the price range of the Qualia 010, or even the R10, and were this price openly announced, only then will Jan's solicitation of interest be meaningful. At this point, this seems like a feeler just to see how much money a few die-hards are willing to shell our for the prestige of owning a new HE90. BTW, which non-Sennheiser electrostatic amps. would be good for powering the HE90? I think that a SinglePower amp., and several others were connected to HE90s at some of the recent meets.

Yah thats the problem. I consider my self one of the (or at least use to be) big spenders here at head-fi, and even I wouldn't go as far as spending 6 grand on a he90. As good as the can is, it's just to much. And for the people that have that kind of money to spend, they have already bought a he90.

Jan if you read this- please talk to sennheiser about the he60!

Jul 6, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #67 of 74
Jan - if you read this, I get the feeling that a price range of $2,500-$3,500 (or lower) will successfully sell HE90's, and provide more visibility and fame to Sennheiser, among headphone users.

Jul 6, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #69 of 74
I love the boundless optimism about how easy it would be to manfacture these things.

They would have to install a completely new production line for the electrosatic drivers - this is not a small overhead.

Jul 6, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #70 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Ok, this is a bit of a rant..........

You'll pardon my saying so, but it's my opinion that Sony opted for the 3 (pretty much) unadjustable sizes along with the measuring device and need for a "customized" fit more as a marketing ploy to create an uber high end snob appeal image that will support uber high profit margins than to actually create a perfect fit for their customers. If anything, they are about the most difficult to fit headphones ever known to man. It is far easier to get a perfect fit with their SA1000, SA3000 and SA5000 line and they could have easily used a similar headband for the Qualia 010.

Sony has openly and proudly admitted their marketing strategies for the Qualia line, so what I'm saying here is in no way contrived. The idea is to give customers a sense of being special, and this is supported by the boutique atmosphere in their stores, etc. But the sizing thing is a step backwards in my opinion. Back in the days when I was a kid, there were 3 sizes for baseball caps: small, medium and large. Now they have velcro straps that you can adjust to your own liking, providing a much better fit. If I had to measure my head and 'custom' order a cap (in one of three fix sizes) from Champion today, I'd think they're crazy.

I've listened to the Qualia 010's and think they sound wonderful. They also look and feel wonderful and reek of quality in every way... well, except the band that I couldn't adjust to make the Small size fit on my Extra Large head (see my signature).

Preaching to the choir, man.
wink.gif

The Qualia's also just feel flimsy and cheap compared to the over indulgent luxurious feel of the R10's, IMO.

-Ed

Jul 6, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #71 of 74
According to Jan Meier, Sennheiser can still produce the HE90. A new production line may thus not be needed. Please see the following link:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126584

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
I love the boundless optimism about how easy it would be to manfacture these things.

They would have to install a completely new production line for the electrosatic drivers - this is not a small overhead.

Jul 6, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #72 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Preaching to the choir, man.
wink.gif

The Qualia's also just feel flimsy and cheap compared to the over indulgent luxurious feel of the R10's, IMO.

-Ed

It's kind of the difference betwen a previous-generation Bentley and a current Ferrari grand tourer. With a Ferrari you don't get the lounge on wheels feel but it is just as effective for long-distance cruises.

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #73 of 74
Blown-up prices over $3000 for some headphones doesn't make it a fair price for HE90. Why accept that manufacturers put the ribbon that high? Stax Omega sells for half that price and this seems more fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back