My Recent Sennheiser HD-555 Sucks big time .....
Jun 29, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #61 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by davaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think its my X-Fi as the sound is perfect on my external Z-680 speakers; those headphones are severely under powered; they are not good in music at all; and not loud enough at all; I haven't tried them on gaming and movies yet but they sound crap on music I wonder how come some people claim that these revive their music and they started listening to it all over again!!! I bet those are Sennheiser sales agents.

After I disabled some DSPs in J.River like the equalizer the sound effects and after switching on CMSS 3D in X-FI control panel and lowering the Wave volume (up to 75%) most of the distortion is eliminated and so is the clicking....

But the sound quality and experience of up to now ain't worth what I paid for; as I said my tiny V-Moda earbuds blows them off the sky (maybe not in highs)......

And the sound leakage is too much; I was expecting some sound leakage but not up to this level; my brother wakes up at night because of the sound as he says its too loud; I wonder what’s the purpose of headphones if they are not targeting at least some private listening.

davaid, I think you're still plugging the headphones into the front IO bay provided with your X-Fi. Stop doing this because that only gives out half the power for two channel audio. Unplug your speakers, remove your front IO bay completely and then plug your HD555 into the back of your computer. Return your X-Fi to 2.1 speakers, CMSS-3D off, Crystallizer off. Turn off all equalizers in all of your media applications.

These are open headphones, and they should be used in a quiet room without the presence of anybody else (because they leak sound). The bass is lacking compared to your V-Moda earphones because earphones generally are bass-heavy and don't have as high of an impedance as a full sized headphone (which means it can actually be driven straight from your front IO bay with speakers also plugged into the back). It is your fault for not fully researching these headphones before purchase, not Sennheiser's.

As a user of two X-Fi XtremeMusics, I can tell you without a doubt that Creative's drivers and hardware aren't the best. My left or right channel would sometimes disappear after exiting out of games and the Console Launcher would always take forever to load. They also took a year to sort out compatibility with Vista. While the sound positioning of the X-Fi is definitely good for games, I would say it's definitely not an audiophile grade sound card by a long shot.

I am not a Sennheiser salesperson. I have heard HD555s before and thought they were very different from my closed JVC RX700 and RX900 headphones but recently, I was given the chance to purchase some HD595 of my own. From what I recall, the HD595 and HD555 are not very different at all but the HD595 definitely sounds sweeter to my ears than the HD555 did. I would recommend you take a look at some JVC RX700 or RX900 for this application. You will also need to unplug your speakers for this along with NOT using the front IO bay because that thing is horrendous for sound quality.

I hope this helps. Don't give up hope because the HD555s are not bad headphones at all.

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #62 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats how I felt when I got my 555s too but believe me, they will transform to a different headphone with burn in. Ive had them myself and can tell you that the bass on the 555 is bigger than most circumaural open cans when burned in. When I got them the highs were obnoxiously bright and there was no bass. They are the only headphones Ive ever had that changed in sound that much with burn in and if you look at my profile you can see ive had enough cans to compare them too.

I think you should see your own posts earlier !
atsmile.gif

2 Year old thread..

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #63 of 69
wonder what happened to that poor HD555, hope it found a good loving home
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #64 of 69
I purchased my HD555's for about $45 and I loved them from first listen. Got them used after my Grado SR60's broke (don't think the HD555's were broken in so much because they were used for studio work). I prefer the HD555 sound to the SR60's. To me they sound so clear, airy, and they are super comfortable. I listen straight from my Ipod touch 2nd Gen with treble booster because thats how I roll lol. I have my eye on some HD580's that I saw for cheap and then I will upgrade the grills and cable. I think this person got a defect for sure because this is me with my HD555's on
L3000.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #65 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfrag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you should see your own posts earlier !
atsmile.gif

2 Year old thread..

hehehe yup, I still stand by those comments

Aug 10, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #66 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLDENZEAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the HD555 sound to the SR60's. To me they sound so clear, airy, and they are super comfortable. I listen straight from my Ipod touch 2nd Gen with treble booster because thats how I roll lol. I

I think my ears would start to bleed if I did that.

Aug 10, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #67 of 69
Quote:

And the sound leakage is too much; I was expecting some sound leakage but not up to this level; my brother wakes up at night because of the sound as he says its too loud.

eek.gif

This make make laugh.
tongue_smile.gif

Do you think he's deaf now ? Or maybe its was just a joke ...

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #69 of 69
Quote:

I have a V-Moda bass headphones that I mainly use with my SanDisk and they are simply awsome in all directions of sounds, highs, mids, and extremely well and good in bass.....

And I tried them on my X-Fi and they beated the HD555 and blow them to sky, very amazing sound quality and volume level is more powerfull, but I can't use them for a prolonged period of time (specially when gaming or listening to music that why I bought the HD555 ~~~~ I wish I didn't ~~~~

I also have both the V-Moda Bassfreqs and HD 555 but the only thing the v-moda beats the sennheiser at is bass. Soundstage, clarity, and overall SQ is much better on the HD 555. I also get some hiss on the V-Moda with Ipod 5G which I don't get with the sennheisers. HD 555 is not the phone to get for bassheads, I don't know how you missed that
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back