My Recent Sennheiser HD-555 Sucks big time .....
Sep 20, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #16 of 69
sounds like youre looking for the Ultrasone Hi-Fi 700...........those are closed, block out a whole lot of sound, have excellent (some would say overimpacting bass response) very good mids and excellent (if slightly grainy) highs.

I own them, and from the reviews I've seen they are considered the number one gaming and DVD headphone in their price range.......also I think with most music they are very very enjoyable.

For cheaper relative which is almost as good you can try the Ultrasone HFI 550. The bass is not quite as extended and the highs are definitely more recessed. They are also slightly louder which may be appealing if you like to blast your music

Sep 20, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #17 of 69
Actually they ain't worth 50 cent !!! I can't get why all these people have rated them so high.

I think I am gonna plug them at the back of the sound card just to see how well they sound, I am gonna try using them with my laptop, then I am definitely gonna return them back and never buy anything from this company.

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #18 of 69
Chaintech Av-710- GoVibe v5- HD555
Love the sound, decent amount of bass but not slamming. Warm mids, women sound amazing like Diana Krall. This is my first "real" pair of headphones but compared to what I had before its a HUGE upgrade. Im happy with them. The sound did change a bit, before it was slightly muddy(bass), now with over 100+ hours of burn in sound perfectly fine.
It does leak sound but not that much unless your listening to unsafe levels of music.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #19 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by davaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually they ain't worth 50 cent !!! I can't get why all these people have rated them so high.

I think I am gonna plug them at the back of the sound card just to see how well they sound, I am gonna try using them with my laptop, then I am definitely gonna return them back and never buy anything from this company.

Please try the back of your card. Are you sure you're putting the front headphone jack's volume up high enough? Also, are you using an EQ or the Crystalizer or anything? EQ's done wrong can run havoc on the sound. Try running the EQ flat (shutting it off)

My friend has HD595's out of the back of his X-Fi, and they can get loud enough to act as mini speakers. PLENTY of bass too.

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #20 of 69
Indeed you probably got either a bad pair or just need to burn them in. Sennheiser makes great headphones and have done so for many decades. The sound may not be for you but honestly anyone who isn't an audiophile would drool listening to those for the first time. It's kinda like going from driving a 1985 Chevy Nova to a 2004 BMW 325i. They don't need amplification but you should burn them in for the next few days and see what you think. Only thing I can see is if they are defective which with any kind of audio product that is mass produced can happen. If it still isnt you're cup of tea just go buy the Koss KSC75's everyone loves them and they are $20 or less.

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #21 of 69
As I Said BURN IN BURN IN BURN IN... my 555s suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked out of the box and i felt the same way but if you are patient, nothing can touch it for 100 bucks IMO

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #22 of 69
For headphone at this price, should not require a amp and be played right of soundcard or stereo, ipod.

Sep 20, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #24 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by davaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a huge clicking when I tune the headphones dial up like something being torn up!!! is this normal.

Well assuming you're not listening at deafening levels.....you might be having too many DSPs enabled in your player/ soundcard preferences. First make sure you have the headphones plugged in the right jack and then make sure your software is set to headphones. Turn off any "surround" type schemes or anything else. If you want to pump up bass or anything, do that from whatever player you use.

If you still think there's no bass....then you are a basshead. Don't deny it, embrace it
icon10.gif
Get some Scull Candy crushers (which has subwoofers in them).....or DT770s.

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #26 of 69
I think it's healthy that threads like these come up every once in a while so that people know the road to phone paradise is not all laughs and giggles. Sometimes some headphones are just not for you.

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #27 of 69
how is ur computer setup? ie, what is ur X-Fi running on? I read the reviews on Newegg that it is not all that compatible with certain motherboards and Vista and may give u those snap/crackle/pop sounds.

As for your headphones, I had the HD555 for only a week, din't do any burn in and loved them. I upgraded to the HD595 recently (because of the peer pressure from this forum :p) and don't think they sound all that different. But then again, since i dont have the 555's any more, i cannot do a side by side comparison.

However, I also have the HD280 PROs, and I think that may be something you are looking for. B/c of the closed design, the bass hits harder and has that "ring" or "thump" associated with car stereo's bass. The 555's would compare to music played in a convertible with the top down. It sounds just as great, but since it does not have the top for soundwaves to bounce off of, ie resonance, then it may sound weak on bass.

I use both of my headphones interchangeably, depending on the application and have really grown to love them both. I think you will too when you start to appreciate the finer details in sound.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #28 of 69
555's have a weird mid range and very "corse grain" sound. The problem is not what it lacks, but what it has (and shouldn't be there).

Mine pair was a major major disappointment for me. I will not buy any Senns after this 555 experience, that brand has way too much hype and over priced.

By the way, I got the 555's at a great price (think <$40 for excellent condition), and that still couldn't offset the disappintment.

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #29 of 69
Even though I myself am shying away from bass as of late, I'd recommend the K81DJs as a possible replacement to the HD555s. Even though it's kinda out style, I still think they're pretty versatile and durable little headphones. Beware of the deathgrip though.

*edit*
The cracks and pops may be coming from any number of components in your front bay module. Try plugging them into the back.

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
555's have a weird mid range and very "corse grain" sound. The problem is not what it lacks, but what it has (and shouldn't be there).

Mine pair was a major major disappointment for me. I will not buy any Senns after this 555 experience, that brand has way too much hype and over priced.

By the way, I got the 555's at a great price (think <$40 for excellent condition), and that still couldn't offset the disappintment.

wow you got hd 555 for <$40 and you're still disappointed with them...? That's ummm.... a bit harsh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back