My Recent Sennheiser HD-555 Sucks big time .....
Sep 22, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #34 of 69
The problems you're discribing are not your 555's. unless they are defective. As was previously stated, the creative labs soundcards has issues. More then likely that is your problem. Try the 555's elsewhere and see if the problem persists.

I bought the 555's because I needed a cheap, open, over the ear headphone that didn't need an amp to be driven and could be worn for hours upon hours. Well after they were burnt in I thought to myself,self, if they sound this good unamped, how good would they sound amped?

What I mean to say is you should dig deeper into the root of your problem before assume its the 555's and you go out and waste more money and still have the same problem

Sep 22, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #35 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
555's have a weird mid range and very "corse grain" sound. The problem is not what it lacks, but what it has (and shouldn't be there).

Mine pair was a major major disappointment for me. I will not buy any Senns after this 555 experience, that brand has way too much hype and over priced.

By the way, I got the 555's at a great price (think <$40 for excellent condition), and that still couldn't offset the disappintment.

The only time I find them grainy, let alone very course is when the recording is too hot. I'm quite pleased for my introduction into a real headphone for $105 shipped. I'd always heard cheap ( read $10,$20 pieces of junk ), and at first didnt want to dump $100 on a set of headphones. Go figure, now I'm aching to spend $300 -$400 plus a new amp.

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only time I find them grainy, let alone very course is when the recording is too hot. I'm quite pleased for my introduction into a real headphone for $105 shipped. I'd always heard cheap ( read $10,$20 pieces of junk ), and at first didnt want to dump $100 on a set of headphones. Go figure, now I'm aching to spend $300 -$400 plus a new amp.

When I read all the praise on the Senns, I had some expectation on the 555's....... Again, it is not what it lacks, the problem is with what it has but shouldn't be there.

I much prefer a silver recabled SR-60 or iGrado as portable cans for un-amped use. I am sure a silver recable will solve 555's grainy problem too, but that is $40-$60 extra....

Sep 22, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by davaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually they ain't worth 50 cent !!! I can't get why all these people have rated them so high.

I think I am gonna plug them at the back of the sound card just to see how well they sound, I am gonna try using them with my laptop, then I am definitely gonna return them back and never buy anything from this company.

I'll give you 50 cents for them!
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #38 of 69
I'll double that!
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #39 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I read all the praise on the Senns, .....
I much prefer a silver recabled SR-60 or iGrado as portable cans for un-amped use. I am sure a silver recable will solve 555's grainy problem too, but that is $40-$60 extra....

Dude, Grados are my next favorite headphone.......but you think those headphones are uncolored??
blink.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #41 of 69
ROFL. This has to be the funniest titles for a thread I've read this entire time.

But David I agree. I don't understand the hype for the HD555 or HD595 at all. I haven't listened to the HD650. Don't really want to either.

I loved my first Denon headphone which is why I am really interested in trying Denon D2000.

My roommate has AKG headphones and they sound fantastic.

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #42 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by retic3nt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it could be your x-fi causing the problems. there have been many documentated cases of x-fis making popping and cracking noises.

I seriously doubt that. The whole point of creating X-Fi from creative was to eliminate issues like that.

Sep 22, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #43 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seriously doubt that. The whole point of creating X-Fi from creative was to eliminate issues like that.

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't speak.

either that, or do a quick search on google.

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #44 of 69
I don't think its my X-Fi as the sound is perfect on my external Z-680 speakers; those headphones are severely under powered; they are not good in music at all; and not loud enough at all; I haven't tried them on gaming and movies yet but they sound crap on music I wonder how come some people claim that these revive their music and they started listening to it all over again!!! I bet those are Sennheiser sales agents.

After I disabled some DSPs in J.River like the equalizer the sound effects and after switching on CMSS 3D in X-FI control panel and lowering the Wave volume (up to 75%) most of the distortion is eliminated and so is the clicking....

But the sound quality and experience of up to now ain't worth what I paid for; as I said my tiny V-Moda earbuds blows them off the sky (maybe not in highs)......

And the sound leakage is too much; I was expecting some sound leakage but not up to this level; my brother wakes up at night because of the sound as he says its too loud; I wonder what’s the purpose of headphones if they are not targeting at least some private listening.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I Said BURN IN BURN IN BURN IN... my 555s suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked out of the box and i felt the same way but if you are patient, nothing can touch it for 100 bucks IMO

Yes, absolutely agreed 100%. When I first heard a brand new pair of HD555s, I wasn't impressed at all. Now my pair has about 100 hours on them and they are a completely different animal. I really love everything about them. I can't really imagine expecting more from a phone without spending very serious money.

One thing I will also say - they really need a good, powerful amplifier. They sound incredibly anaemic out of any portable device I have plugged into them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back