My PX100 Mods + Brief Review
May 11, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #16 of 25
  You put the drivers in a wood cup and it takes them to a whole other level. 
The ultimate mod.

I can confirm that. I took my PX80s (original PX100 in disguise, just cheaper) apart and put these little big drivers in my takstar HI2050s. These are really nice cans for some donor drivers after some modding (removing some plastic and opening them up creating something similar to how a HD600/650 is constructed).

So, after finding out angled drivers worked best with these particular cans, and also removing every obstruction between the driver and the ear (unlike the stock 2050s which are full of felt pads everywhere to tame the highs of their stock drivers), this is the result:

The blue stuff is plasticine putty, if you're wondering, and that's a ~35mm driver in a 50mm hole. It is certainly another level of listening. A friend did a similar mod with some porta pros and other donor cans and he was blown away, too. Then pair these with a decent amplifier, something like a "the wire" and it's just the perfect recipe for hours of listening. Gotta love such untapped potential in these little cans! These drivers are amazing for what they're sold... more than a steal if you can make good use of them and build your own full size, listening at home headphone for 2 cents 
biggrin.gif

Some day I'd like to try out these in wood cups like 7keys says. Some day...

May 15, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #18 of 25

I can confirm that. I took my PX80s (original PX100 in disguise, just cheaper) apart and put these little big drivers in my takstar HI2050s. These are really nice cans for some donor drivers after some modding (removing some plastic and opening them up creating something similar to how a HD600/650 is constructed).

So, after finding out angled drivers worked best with these particular cans, and also removing every obstruction between the driver and the ear (unlike the stock 2050s which are full of felt pads everywhere to tame the highs of their stock drivers), this is the result:

The blue stuff is plasticine putty, if you're wondering, and that's a 40mm driver in a 50mm hole. It is certainly another level of listening. A friend did a similar mod with some porta pros and other donor cans and he was blown away, too. Then pair these with a decent amplifier, something like a "the wire" and it's just the perfect recipe for hours of listening. Gotta love such untapped potential in these little cans! These drivers are amazing for what they're sold... more than a steal if you can make good use of them and build your own full size, listening at home headphone for 2 cents 
biggrin.gif

Some day I'd like to try out these in wood cups like 7keys says. Some day...

Nice mod you've got there. 

May 23, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #20 of 25

Did you make the cups and the frame or is there a place where you can buy them?

I made the tone-wood cups but bought the headband here
http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sony-7506-Replacement-Headband-and-Cups.html

There are other headbands you can us, just look through the Post your Grado Mods thread.

Oct 17, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #21 of 25
I just did little experiment with px100II:s and tried Grado G cushions and L cushions on them. And phew, what a sound!
It just took it to the next level. More open sound overall.
I just made cardboard ring around the phones and used a bit hot glue, and slipped gradocushions on it.
Extremely light and comphy, and extremely well balanced, and airy sound.
37705607396_5b5bb016ff.jpg

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #22 of 25
I just did little experiment with px100II:s and tried Grado G cushions and L cushions on them. And phew, what a sound!
It just took it to the next level. More open sound overall.
I just made cardboard ring around the phones and used a bit hot glue, and slipped gradocushions on it.
Extremely light and comphy, and extremely well balanced, and airy sound.
37705607396_5b5bb016ff.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back