My personal impressions on Meelec A151
Aug 28, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #46 of 64
@garcsa: that last idea is just brilliant, and I'll try it as soon as I can get my A151 back from my wife!

@tman1: recently I had your same problem with my PL50, too. It has happened with almost any SoundMAGIC model I've had. This said, my A151 are still in good shape, and my wife is for sure mistreating them. When I was testing them I tried to be rude with the cable, because IMHO is one of the best parts in the A151, and the cable didn't came loose or whatever. The sound still comes from both drivers and they work like a charm.

No Meelec phone I've had has suffered from that problem you mention, but be sure that if you buy a pair of A151 and they break during the warranty period, Meelec will replace them. They have the best customer care I've dealt with.

So far, my only complaint about the A151 is that the housings could be smaller to allow for a deeper insertion. The right one stills pops out of my ear from time to time. Not a problem anymore because my wife took them from me...

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #48 of 64
Got mine a few days ago, needless to say, I love it! The clarity is much better than I expected, and the cable is absolutely beautiful.

However, I've only been able to get a vacuum seal with the tri-flange tips, and they can be a little bit uncomfortable after a while. The medium tips are the next best thing, but there's almost non-existent bass with it.

Anyway, The official Comply site says that their T-100 tips fit the A151s. Do you think they are worth getting? They look incredible.

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #49 of 64

Quote:
However, I've only been able to get a vacuum seal with the tri-flange tips, and they can be a little bit uncomfortable after a while. The medium tips are the next best thing, but there's almost non-existent bass with it.

Anyway, The official Comply site says that their T-100 tips fit the A151s. Do you think they are worth getting? They look incredible.

Hi ELCrazy :)

For short periods of time, the medium tips give me proper seal and comfort, but I lose the seal after some hours, probably due to sweat in my ear canal. When I wear them walking, the time after losing the seal is much shorter, so it may be the cause. Even Sony Hybrids doesn't stay long in my right ear, which is the problematic one.

My solution has been, to date, using foamies instead. I've used homemade foamies with great success and SoundMAGIC foamies, cut to the proper length. I've also tried a set of Etymotic-like foamies sent to me by fellow member dziendobry, which worked perfectly and are reasonably cheap. Not as comfortable as the SoundMAGIC, though. At home, I still use Sony Hybrids with the A151, they give, to me, better sound. Or to be more precise, a sound I like more.

So, if you can afford them, probably the T100 are worth the money, because they will be of much higher quality than the SoundMAGIC ones, more comfortable and will eat less basses. This said, they are MUCH more fragile, so make sure you treat them with tender loving care 
wink.gif

In the end, weren't for the sound quality issues of foamies (some of them eat the midrange badly, some others the basses, some others the highs) I would get rid of silicone tips for good. They pair of Comply foamies that came with my TDK EB900 are quite good, so the T100 will be probably perfect for the A151!

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #50 of 64

Quote:
Hi ELCrazy :)

For short periods of time, the medium tips give me proper seal and comfort, but I lose the seal after some hours, probably due to sweat in my ear canal. When I wear them walking, the time after losing the seal is much shorter, so it may be the cause. Even Sony Hybrids doesn't stay long in my right ear, which is the problematic one.

My solution has been, to date, using foamies instead. I've used homemade foamies with great success and SoundMAGIC foamies, cut to the proper length. I've also tried a set of Etymotic-like foamies sent to me by fellow member dziendobry, which worked perfectly and are reasonably cheap. Not as comfortable as the SoundMAGIC, though. At home, I still use Sony Hybrids with the A151, they give, to me, better sound. Or to be more precise, a sound I like more.

So, if you can afford them, probably the T100 are worth the money, because they will be of much higher quality than the SoundMAGIC ones, more comfortable and will eat less basses. This said, they are MUCH more fragile, so make sure you treat them with tender loving care 
wink.gif

In the end, weren't for the sound quality issues of foamies (some of them eat the midrange badly, some others the basses, some others the highs) I would get rid of silicone tips for good. They pair of Comply foamies that came with my TDK EB900 are quite good, so the T100 will be probably perfect for the A151!

Hello there!

I realize that when I'm walking, I can hear the vibrations of my footsteps and it affects the sound, albeit only very slightly. Does it mean I've inserted them in too deep?

I hope with the high price (for IEM tips), the T100s don't eat up or reduce the sound. Maybe even enhancing the sound would be a plus haha. The Jaben store in my country is selling the T100s@ SG$6 (about US$5) a pair, which is cheaper than what I can get online, so I might just make a trip there one day. Thanks for your fast reply! :D

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #51 of 64
Certainly, the price you're getting for the T100 is VERY decent.

About the footsteps, that's weird because with the cable over the ear I can't hear ANY noise at all, neither the cable rubbing against the clothes nor the bone conduction noises (the ones you're hearing).

Probably you've inserted them too deep and the isolation is so high that the bone conduction noises is important. I had the same problem with my old JVC HA-FXC50. I haven't had the same problem with the A151, but then again, I can't insert them too deep.

Write a comment if you get the T100 (if you can, of course), please :)

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #52 of 64

Quote:
Certainly, the price you're getting for the T100 is VERY decent.

About the footsteps, that's weird because with the cable over the ear I can't hear ANY noise at all, neither the cable rubbing against the clothes nor the bone conduction noises (the ones you're hearing).

Probably you've inserted them too deep and the isolation is so high that the bone conduction noises is important. I had the same problem with my old JVC HA-FXC50. I haven't had the same problem with the A151, but then again, I can't insert them too deep.

Write a comment if you get the T100 (if you can, of course), please :)

Hmmm okay. But if I've inserted them too deep, is it possible my ears can get damaged?

If I'm getting them, of course! :)

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #56 of 64
I second the fact that the multi-flanged tips are very large and were slightly uncomfortable for me to wear. I also found the earbuds themselves quite comfortable though. Its strange for me, one earbud always fits better in my ear canal than the other, just goes to show i'm not exactly symmetrical.

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #57 of 64
I got my Comply tips a few days back. Verdict?

It's really comfortable. There's a bigger bass presence, although I feel that the clarity has been subdued, if only very slightly. 

One of the main issues I had with the tri-flanges was that it did not cling on to the stems as strongly as the single and bi-flange tips did, as a result, the tri-flange tips often got stuck in my ears when removing the IEMs. So far I have not had such a problem with the Comply tips, therefore I am really satisfied.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #58 of 64

Quote:
I got my Comply tips a few days back. Verdict?

It's really comfortable. There's a bigger bass presence, although I feel that the clarity has been subdued, if only very slightly. 

One of the main issues I had with the tri-flanges was that it did not cling on to the stems as strongly as the single and bi-flange tips did, as a result, the tri-flange tips often got stuck in my ears when removing the IEMs. So far I have not had such a problem with the Comply tips, therefore I am really satisfied.

This happened to me the first time I used them. Took about 20 minutes to get both of them out (was on a bus)! Fortunately I always use single flanges since I listen while walking around, but I was trying all the tips just to check them out.

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #59 of 64
First post.  Love head-fi.org.  Old man has learned a ton - thank you all.

Just purchased a pair of the MEElecronics A151 ($47.99 on Amazon).  Listening to Folrence and the Machine (this moment), on Sansa Fuse v2 (no Rockbox), EQ flat,Fiio lineout cable to Nuforce Icon Mobile amp low gain setting, into the subject iem's, MEE A151's w/ Comply T100's.  As best I can tell, from much reading on this site, and several others, my system is pretty basic, definitely not high cost, but not cheap either.  Total system cost $225, not including the music, which is flac.  Really like these iem's right out of the box compared to the MEE M11+ I was using before. Not even close to a hi-fi expert, but the music sounds and feels much more full, if that means anything or not.  I can hear all the details as before, for sure, but everthing feels warmer, smoother, fuller.  This is 10 mins out of the box compared to hundreds of hours on the M11+.  Isolation is great with the Comply's (first time I ever used them, worth every penny - $15 for 3-sets) which may be a major factor.  Will stick a set on the M11+ and confirm.

Howl is the best song on this CD, just came on, holy crap this sounds really good. "....like some child possessed, the beast howls in my veins...", what incredible vocals.  Sound 1000x better on the A151's.  Can only compare to M11+ (only others I've ever owned).

Okay it's been about 15 mins and I haven't typed a word.  "Between Two Lungs" never sounded better.  Outstanding.  Best $50 bucks I've spent in years.

I have to tell you, I just purchased the 8GB Sansa Fuze last week, $80, the Icon Mobile about a month ago, also $80.  Had the M11+ for a couple years playing music from my Blackberry, always flac.  Got the amp to help, but wanted a player that I could dedicate to music only.  BB is a work phone, e-mail, all that crap I want to get away from when Iistening to music, so I investigated players.  Was never going to buy an iPod - hate the software, nothing against the hardware, other than its overprice.  Don't get me wrong, I'll pay for the brand if it's worth it.  I considered Cowon i9 (no dedicate line-out), and dreamed about some of the other true hi-fi DAP's I've read about, especially the Colorfly.  Beautiful, though can't be sure I would be able to appreciate the sound to cost benefit.  Like me, my ears are old.  So, I made the decision to go cheap to start.   Sansa Fuze has mixed reviews, but enough positive for me to give it a shot.  Flac capability was a must and will eventually RockBox when dedidcate line-out is fully supported on v2  Fuze's.

Anyway, I now had a system worth listening to, but wasn't all that impressed.  So, figured I needed better head gear, plus it was the only part of my system that wasn't new.  I started looking for a better set of iem's for a moderate price.  Read all the reviews and with my budget, narrowed my choices down to... HeadDirect Re-Zero, Fischer Audio Silver Bullets, Sunrise SW-Xcape and the A151's.  Basically, $70 - $100 range.  When I found the A151's for < $50, I took the gamble.

What a huge difference in system sound.  Clearly, everyone on this site who claims head gear is the most critical system component, knows exactly what they are talking about.  Sound is not even close to what it was, yet only change was the iem's.  I can't compare the A151's to any of my other potential's listed above, but they blow the M11+'s away. The M11+'s (have a microphone) will now be dedicated to work as a head set for my BB phone.  Waste not, want not.

Will keep listening to the A151's.  If there's a signigicant change over time, I'll follow-up.  Thanks to all who helped me choose this system. Love it... for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back