My personal impressions on Meelec A151
Apr 10, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #16 of 64

Quote:
Awsome review! especially the comparisson with the pl50
my ordered pl50 are on their way, and i was considering of getting (maybe also) these a151 (although the shipping cost is $20)
im still not sure whether i should get the a151 or something else from meelec or other brand, but maybe i ll give the pl 50 some use before getting something else

Thanks for the compliments :)

Keep the PL50. For a start, they will give you an idea about balanced armature sound signature. I bet you will enjoy the detail, etc. If, after some time of use you miss some basses, then you can sell them as JxK suggests, and go for the A151 or, if you really miss the basses, for a dynamic driver.

The PL50 has, in my opinion, a superb sound, except for the basses. Also, the building quality could be better, but they're not a bad pair of phones. I have a pair and I don't have any intention of selling them, they have their advantages (extremely low profile, good isolation, they're light, good sound, etc.).

Enjoy the PL50 before taking any decision :)

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #17 of 64

Quote:
I recently got the a151 on the one day buy.com $50 deal and got the pl50 around the same time.  I returned the a151 nad kept the pl50's.  Loved the build quality of the a151 and the cord is insanely good for the price, but the sound didn't do it for me, felt to warm and colored in the mids for me...hard to describe but the sound was a little 'gritty' for me.  PL50's to me had a more pleasing sound and were more comfortable.  Just my opinion as a lot of people seem to really like the a151.

I think it's a matter of taste. The A151 it's not for people who doesn't love warm sound, for example. For them, the PL50 is better, because although the sound is a bit colored, too, the mids are definitely colder. I don't like that, that's why I prefer the A151 (and for the building quality and the amazing cable, etc.), but the PL50 is a very interesting balanced armature. Too weak basses for me, but for critical listening they're useful.

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #18 of 64

Quote:
The PL50 has, in my opinion, a superb sound, except for the basses. Also, the building quality could be better, but they're not a bad pair of phones. I have a pair and I don't have any intention of selling them, they have their advantages (extremely low profile, good isolation, they're light, good sound, etc.).

sorry for the question , but what u mean by low profile?

Quote:
I think it's a matter of taste. The A151 it's not for people who doesn't love warm sound, for example. For them, the PL50 is better, because although the sound is a bit colored, too, the mids are definitely colder. I don't like that, that's why I prefer the A151 (and for the building quality and the amazing cable, etc.), but the PL50 is a very interesting balanced armature. Too weak basses for me, but for critical listening they're useful.

that sounds good for me , i like good details

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #19 of 64
@kanuka, with "low profile" I mean they don't protude from the ear. In fact, they're barely visible when people look at you from the front. And you can sleep with them on without problems, I'm afraid I've done it a couple of times!

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #21 of 64
When I first tried the A151 at normal insertion depth, they sounded thin and distant. Going to smaller tips and deep insertion really opened up the sound. They aren't the best single-BA IEM I have, but they are very good for the price.

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #23 of 64

Quote:
One of BA driver's prostration is the seal, they must have a good seal.
Is there any ear tips replacement that I can buy (for reserve) ?

redsosis, I'm going to update the review next week, including information about alternative tips: some etymotic-like foamies, kindly provided by fellow member dziendobry, and genuine Sony Hybrids who a friend got me from Japan. In fact, the tips DO make a difference in sound.

I have to test them more, but right now my favourite tips are Sony Hybrids. The fake ones I got from eBay were very good (VERY good, I really mean it, they're great) but the genuine ones are better and IMHO, the perfect complement to the A151. Take this affirmation with a grain of salt, because I still have to test them thorougly.

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #24 of 64
i bought these a few weeks ago, they are very good for the price and super comfy. i do agree with you entirely except for your problems with the tips! i thought they were pretty good, maybe thats just me/or you :wink:

a great buy, i have yet to try the ceramics though, i believe they are more fun sounding.

p.s. the cables are amazing, almost like fine cotton string but very durbable nevertheless.

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #25 of 64

Quote:
I have to test them more, but right now my favourite tips are Sony Hybrids. The fake ones I got from eBay were very good (VERY good, I really mean it, they're great) but the genuine ones are better and IMHO, the perfect complement to the A151. Take this affirmation with a grain of salt, because I still have to test them thorougly.

Could you link them to me please? (the fakees) :D

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #28 of 64
redsosis, I'm going to update the review next week, including information about alternative tips: some etymotic-like foamies, kindly provided by fellow member dziendobry, and genuine Sony Hybrids who a friend got me from Japan. In fact, the tips DO make a difference in sound.

So, you didn't like meelec's tips? Why?

And what is the different between the fake and the genuine of sony hybrid?
--besides the price

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #29 of 64

Quote:
Quote:

So, you didn't like meelec's tips? Why?

And what is the different between the fake and the genuine of sony hybrid?
--besides the price

Usually I use the stock tips in Meelec products, they're decent, but just that: decent. With the A151, the stock tips slide out of my ear canal easily, so they are a bit annoying. The biflanges stay better, but not much. With phones like the M11+, M9 or even the M6, M21, etc. I've used the stock tips without problems. In fact, the tips that come with the CC51 are extremely good, I wouldn't replace them. But in the A151, the included tips just don't fit me. My wife is just the opposite, she prefers the stock A151 tips over the Sony ones, so it may all be a matter of taste.

On the other hand, the tips that came with Meelec M11+ form the most astounding set of tips I've ever seen, and in my humble opinion, they are very high quality, comfortable, isolating and summing up, perfect. 

The fake and genuine sony hybrids are extremely similar, and in fact the shape is almost identical. Size is a bit different and, at least in the pairs I have, the genuine ones are much softer than the fake ones, making them more sticky and prone to stay in my ear.

May 13, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #30 of 64
DervishD, do you think A151 complement Clip+ well? I also use this player and am currently looking for durable earphones that will go through hours of jogging without any scratches. Isolation and overall sound quality are also factors but it's the build quality that brought my attention to A151s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back