my parents offered to buy me a new car if I dropped out of school and went to work
Sep 20, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #91 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This isn't aimed at anyone in particular but I am not surprised America is the most prescribed nation in the world for antidepressants, with something like 25% of adults having a major depressive episode sometime in their life. I just don't get it, this artificial happiness, the so called American Dream has been drilled into you since you were young.

The American Dream is a lingering illusion that people around the world still seem to buy into. I've seen plenty of immigrants pissed off that they moved here and failed or stumbled into the mediocrity that is American life. I grew up here and they do fill us with these unrealistic expectation. "Follow your dream" "Do what your heart tells you to do" "Anyone can become president." What a crock. Most of us wind up trying to make rent month after month. Look at the country right now. It's crumbling from bad debt and the greed of the few who are in a position to make money. Why do Asians succeed? (I'm half Asian). Because their parents don't fill them with these silly "follow your heart" "Listen to your dreams" bull. They tell you work your ass off towards having a profession. And subsequently, they succeed. I had an anglo mother who pushed us into following our dreams. My brother became an actor, I became a writer ... and I failed at it.

NO ONE THINKS MUCH ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU FOLLOW YOUR DREAM .... AND FAIL.

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS....

YOUR DREAMS ARE OVER. THERE'S NOTHING LEFT TO DREAM ABOUT. TIME TO ACCEPT THE RUT OF LIFE.

So, is following your dream great advice? As Saint Teresa said, "There are more tears shed over answered prayers than unanswered ones."

I wish I would have followed my father's advice and become an accountant.

So, Gatto, you're on the right track. Medicine. That's a career, and a good one. Tell your parents, NO THANKS!

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #92 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I bet you wouldn't trade that for anything... I suppose the flaw to my argument is settling down and starting a family, I am happily married so perhaps one day. I suppose we amicably agree to wait until a little later on in life to start that, or be one of those 'crazy hippies' that drives their kids around the state in a bus... like the Paskowitz Family!

Lemme tell you, as long as you are prepared and ready, kids are the best thing ever. Nothing is more fun than playing with them and making them laugh. I am chosing to do all the hard things young, so I can get into the position to enjoy my second half as much as I can. People who work until they are 75+ because they have to or women who have their first child at 40, its depressing and unnecessary. Well though out plans always have a better chance at succeeding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The American Dream is a lingering illusion that people around the world still seem to buy into. I've seen plenty of immigrants pissed off that they moved here and failed or stumbled into the mediocrity that is American life. I grew up here and they do fill us with these unrealistic expectation. "Follow your dream" "Do what your heart tells you to do" "Anyone can become president." What a crock. Most of us wind up trying to make rent month after month. Look at the country right now. It's crumbling from bad debt and the greed of the few who are in a position to make money. Why do Asians succeed? (I'm half Asian). Because their parents don't fill them with these silly "follow your heart" "Listen to your dreams" bull. They tell you work your ass off towards having a profession. And subsequently, they succeed. I had an anglo mother who pushed us into following our dreams. My brother became an actor, I became a writer ... and I failed at it.

NO ONE THINKS MUCH ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU FOLLOW YOUR DREAM .... AND FAIL.

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS....

YOUR DREAMS ARE OVER. THERE'S NOTHING LEFT TO DREAM ABOUT. TIME TO ACCEPT THE RUT OF LIFE.

So, is following your dream great advice? As Saint Teresa said, "There are more tears shed over answered prayers than unanswered ones."

I wish I would have followed my father's advice and become an accountant.

So, Gatto, you're on the right track. Medicine. That's a career, and a good one. Tell your parents, NO THANKS!

I agree with most of what you said. The "follow your dreams" speech needs to be followed up with an "as long as you have a well laid plan and are willing to work hard." People aiming to be major actors and other "one in a million" jobs are, for the most part, delusional.

It must be noted, however, that I have seen and heard about a LOT of very hard-working Asians who did take the safe and well-paid job at the demands of their parents. Most of them were happy about the money, but they were very unhappy about everything else. They just shuffled from day to day doing the same thing. They caved to demands, and now they paid the price: an unfulfilled life of 9-5. I am not saying that a 9-5 job is bad. Far from it; many can be great. What I am saying is that any person who has the drive to get an education needs to find a job they can at least be satisfied with. That takes more more soul-searching and less input from others.

Sep 20, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #93 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
It must be noted, however, that I have seen and heard about a LOT of very hard-working Asians who did take the safe and well-paid job at the demands of their parents. Most of them were happy about the money, but they were very unhappy about everything else. They just shuffled from day to day doing the same thing. They caved to demands, and now they paid the price: an unfulfilled life of 9-5. I am not saying that a 9-5 job is bad. Far from it; many can be great. What I am saying is that any person who has the drive to get an education needs to find a job they can at least be satisfied with. That takes more more soul-searching and less input from others.

Sometimes you shoot for the moon and end up stranded in low earth orbit.
redface.gif

Really though, the alienation of middle->upper class ethnically Asian Americans males has more to do with acculturation/socialization issues than it does with workplace satisfaction. This is quite a bit rarer in middle->upper class ethnically Asian American females even though they're put in the same pressure cooker as children.

Sep 20, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #95 of 117
Quote:

Why do Asians succeed? (I'm half Asian). Because their parents don't fill them with these silly "follow your heart" "Listen to your dreams" bull. They tell you work your ass off towards having a profession. And subsequently, they succeed.

Asian people don't have dreams, or souls for that matter.
tongue.gif
Heh, my parents tried do the "get straight As" thing when I was a kid, but they gave up when they realized I was an idiot. Course I'm ghetto, it's more common for people here (Asians particularly) to work menial blue collar jobs than having an actual fulfilling career. Some are happy.. many aren't.

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #96 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my parents tried do the "get straight As" thing when I was a kid, but they gave up when they realized I was an idiot.

Lol, if there's one thing I appreciate, it's honesty. However I've been reading your posts for years. You, sir, are no idiot.
beerchug.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #98 of 117
Whatever you end up doing, at least share it with us..
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #100 of 117
Hello Gatto:
Not to pursue your plans and in this case listen to your parents (IMHO bad) advice would be one of the greatest mistakes you could ever make. Fast forward 15-20 yrs in time: there will be a high likelihood you would be full of regrets if you did not continue on your premed/science track.
Stay the course and good luck!

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #101 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever you end up doing, at least share it with us..
wink.gif

Don't worry, she made it pretty clear she plans to stick with school:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just so everybody gets it, I have no intention to leave school, I didn't even think about for a second... I'm just curious if this is weird for a parent to do or not.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #102 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, she made it pretty clear she plans to stick with school:

Oh, thank god!
bigsmile_face.gif

Few cars are worth dropping out of school for...

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #103 of 117
My dad told me it was OK to not go to university and do a tradesman job instead right after I sent my university applications. Nevermind the fact my mom would of ninja kicked me and him had I not gone to university.
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #104 of 117
My father is a university english professor.

Every semester he has at least one classroom of 40 or so disinterested english 101 students who are just trying to sail by with a C so that they can get their general education requirements out of the way.

He is quite outspoken on his opinion that the proposition that everyone should get a university education is silly, counter productive, and generates a lot of pointless labor for him.

That being said - good luck finding a job in this market. I think your parents offer is a trap, and they just think it would be cheaper for you to just live in their basement and mooch off of them.

Edit: Ok, so i didn't read the first post.

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #105 of 117
Quote:

Every semester he has at least one classroom of 40 or so disinterested english 101 students who are just trying to sail by with a C so that they can get their general education requirements out of the way.

He is quite outspoken on his opinion that the proposition that everyone should get a university education is silly, counter productive, and generates a lot of pointless labor for him.

That's how it is at my school. Most of the students don't show up for class and when they do, they rarely pay attention. It happens in junior/senior level classes as well. What's the point of getting a degree if you learn almost nothing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back