My oh My how things change
Jan 14, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by zatara
Mikhail had one or two of the new boards with him at the NY meet and they
looked great.

Yep I remember seeing those boards at the meet - lovely.

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
In theory how far could the cost come down??

What are the characteristics of each tipe( p2p and circuit board)???
Is one better than the other??

The pictures surely look good!!!!

I doubt costs will come down any. I don't believe Mikhail was making much profit especially on amps like the PPX3 so if there is any benefit in manufacturing time and expense it will probably only serve to make it more viable for Mikhail to continue with prices offered now.

Mikhail has always stated that he found the best sound to be P2P, whether he has achieved that sound quality or surpassed it with the new boards will be up in the air until there is a head to head between the two versions. Knowing Mikhail though I can't imagine he would put out a product that didn't come very close to or equal that of the P2P's.

Congrat's to Mikhail, hopefully the new boards will silence even the most critical.

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

in the mppx3 picture ( http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/mpx3.jpg ) it looks like there is more than one pair of rca's ?? is this correct? are they all inputs??

And where is the power cord jack?

MASantos

Could be another set of inputs or a pass through, I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be able to say for sure.

Isn't the jack for the power cord located top left of the pic?

Jan 14, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #37 of 55
Hmmm, another contender for my new amp dollars!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #40 of 55
Mikhail had told me he was working on PCB based amps well before all the hoopla about the p2p amps came about,They where planned to go into production anyway even if the hoopla didn't happen.The p2p amps would also be built upon customer request.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
My guess would be public opinion. All the negative press that was generated a few months ago caused Mikhail to come up with a product that satisfies the negative press, but still sounds great. If not for the negative press here I doubt he would have ever come up with a PCB version of his products. I guess it shows that not only is the guy sensitive to public opinion, he's also able to do a pretty good job of making the changes necessary to make changes. If Dr. Gilmore is impressed with his work that says something to me.

Any manufacturer that completely ignores public opinion does so at their own peril. Those with the ability and desire to make necessary changes due to public outcry are those that deserve the most respect.

Major kudos to Mikhail and the entire Singlepower team! While I've heard about the new PCB option I've never seen it until today.

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #41 of 55
that's what i'm thinking - for customer requests, special lil options/features/dongles will probably require a P2P amp still, right? custom boarding a PCB would be too annoying I'd think, and a PCB makes more sense for just "stock" amp layouts to be shipped out the door asap.

therefore, there will still be P2P amps - but they'll cost a bit more naturally since they'll be tailored to customer requests. correct me if i'm wrong in my thinking.

Jan 14, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

in the mppx3 picture ( http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/mpx3.jpg ) it looks like there is more than one pair of rca's ?? is this correct? are they all inputs??

They look like additional inputs, espeiclaly since there's an additional knob on the chassis.

Oh, and those boards do look lovely. I wonder if a board for 6cg7 version of MPX3 is in works at all.

Jan 14, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #43 of 55
Those boards look real nice. And if I had the chance to change in my P2P Supra for one of the new boards . . . . I woudn't do it.
580smile.gif
I sounds too good as it is. Also, I am happy to report I have yet to experience electrocution.
580smile.gif
Still it's neat that Mikhail seems to have addressed some people's concerns and that this will offer even more options to everyone.

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
that's what i'm thinking - for customer requests, special lil options/features/dongles will probably require a P2P amp still, right? custom boarding a PCB would be too annoying I'd think, and a PCB makes more sense for just "stock" amp layouts to be shipped out the door asap.

therefore, there will still be P2P amps - but they'll cost a bit more naturally since they'll be tailored to customer requests. correct me if i'm wrong in my thinking.

Jahn,
I asked about upgrades and he made the circuit boards to accomodate the physically larger upgraded caps and other parts changes. He will do P2P amps if requested but they will cost more.

Salt Peanuts,
The new circuit board amps are all going to have two inputs if I understood him correctly; thats the extra set of rca's. The tube sockets are chassis mount and he still has to wire them, therefore, the circuit board has no effect on whether he uses 6cg7 or 6sn7 tubes for the amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back