My newest computer.
Apr 11, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #16 of 35
That one was quite a bit of work, and involved a lot of cutting on the motherboard tray. The main atx cable, gpu power, dvd drive and hard drive ide cables all run behind the mobo and through the tray, then they are well hidden. The hard drive is mounted backwards to conceal the power and data cables, the ide's are 24" flat ribbon style which gave me plenty of cable origami possibilities. The power supply is modular, so I basically detached 90% of the cables and ran power off of one lead. The rear fan wire goes out a hole drilled right beneath it, then re-enters the case behind the motherboard. I also build all of my own power wires.

It was a fun build and it draws lots of oohhs and aahhs, and comments like "that can't work, there's no wires".

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #17 of 35
I am jealous
frown.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #18 of 35
very good looking rigs man. i really like the 2nd one with its wire managment

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #21 of 35
Soo...what kind of work do you do on your comps besides folding?

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #22 of 35
(controls urge to utter many, many jealous expletives) Congrats, man. That's a couple of beautiful builds. Wish I was allowed to invest in something like the first one!
mad.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inzane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks future proof, nice! your set for the next 5 years.

Exactly what the guy who bought an FX-55 said 2 years ago
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #25 of 35
975 bucks for processor makes me want to cry.
Sweet rigs though, I'm especially impressed with the cable management on the second one.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #26 of 35
It's time for me to upgrade my Graphics Card, my 6800GS isn't keeping up at all with my Core2Duo and 2 gigs of RAM.

Hopefully this summer I'll watercool, add a TB or 2 of disk space, and pick up an 8800.

freakin sweet rig man, but why the expensive processor? I paid 163 for my E4300 and clocked it right up to 3.3 ghz, I'll save 800 dollars and lose .5 ghz and 2mb of cache any day
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not a lot in it, but all it does is fold all day.

It must do it quickly. How are you involved with the folding project? I joined a while ago (per your post) and have been curious ever since.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you do that requires a $1000 processor
blink.gif

And why not SLI the 8800GTX?

$1000 on CPUs isn't a terrible amount of money to spend these days. The more expensive dual core, L1 cache processors can fetch a lot these days. For example, a 3D workstation that's dual processor/dual core will run $1600 for each Xeon CPU (or $3200 just for the two processors)
eek.gif

SLI is good for programs that utilize it, and if you have dual monitors. And the professional graphics cards that have it aren't that cheap either. Workstation cards are running $1000-$2500 a peice now. Blazing fast 3D has gotten very expensive with all this new technology!!!
biggrin.gif
You can easily get up to $10k on a new workstation now: a few years ago, PCs were doing good with 3D for $4k. That's what made them more popular over proprietary workstations like SGI which fetched $30k for the same performance. But every bit of performance boost is good for games, simulation, and 3D right?
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #30 of 35
The water cooled rig is used mainly for gaming, I went with the X6800 mainly due to the unlocked multiplier, which allows maximum overclocking possibilities. The water cooled box doesn't do any folding, although I'm sure it would chew through WU's quickly. I chose not to go SLI because a friend has SLI GTX's and a Dell 30" monitor and the second card doesn't add much more power. Sure it scores a lot more in 3dmark, but for everyday use it was a waste. He's able to play games with all settings at max on the 30" with a single GTX, so why spend the money on the second? I'm running a 24" Dell for now, the 30" is my next upgrade.

I also do a lot of work in Photoshop, audio processing, web dev (which doesn't need a fast machine), and video processing/encoding.

Obviously no computer is "future proof", but as long as it lasts me 2 years I'm happy.

I'm not terribly involved in Folding, I have 2 rigs that spend their days working on proteins. I've only been doing it since January. I just like the idea that instead of just sitting there idling the computer is actually working on something worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back