my new setup.
Jun 18, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #76 of 103
rolleyes.gif
I really don't think I need something like that
rolleyes.gif

[...fit of jealousy...]

peacesign.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #77 of 103
Sorry for the ignorance, but just what are balanced outputs?

.... and BTW, kick @$$ rig!

Aug 12, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #78 of 103
the rig changed a bit... this should be close enough to what it currently looks like:

PICT0014.jpg

balanced outputs output a positive signal, a negative signal (the inverse of the positive signal), and a ground per channel.

Aug 12, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #79 of 103
AAARRRGGGHHHH such an awesome rig!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

So what's the advantage of balanced outputs? Why is it that only the most expensive gear uses them?

Aug 12, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #81 of 103
AFFORDABLE ALERT! I think I saw a pair of cans wrapped around one of your gilmore tubes - the green beetle thingies? What is that if I might ask?

Aug 12, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #82 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
So what's the advantage of balanced outputs? Why is it that only the most expensive gear uses them?

it is usually more important with longer cable runs since it reduces signal degredation and loss with the inversed signals canceling each other out and reducing the effects of external EM sources among other things. for headphone rigs (with its short run of cables between components), it doesn't really matter unless you want a fully balanced rig for a balanced headphone.

Aug 12, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #83 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
AFFORDABLE ALERT! I think I saw a pair of cans wrapped around one of your gilmore tubes - the green beetle thingies? What is that if I might ask?

those are the great MDR-Q33 sony streetstyles. apparently my roommate prefers those to all of my other headphones since it is the most comfortable. since his pair broke, he is using mine because none of the others suited him as well. (he apparently cannot distinguish between the headphone's sound signatures and mainly goes by comfort??)

there's a bunch of affordable portable sony and AT cans / earbuds / clipons on the right side of the CDP too....

Aug 12, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #86 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
yah, you can't really see them because the OMEGA II is in the way.

lol... I guess there is a streetstyle hiding behind the Omega II... but it is supposed to be sitting on the shelf right next to the CDP.

have to keep the mingling of the higher end and the lower end cans to a minimum to keep the peace.
tongue.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #87 of 103
When i saw those streetstyles i started humming *one of these is not like the other, one of these does not belong...* i can imagine my KSC-35s having a jealous fit in that pic...

Aug 12, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #90 of 103
Definitely looks like a nice rig to listen to.... But after spending all that hard earned cash, albeit some from outside sources.... You really need to get a real rack.... Look at Silent Running Audio.... It even has the granite mentioned earlier....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back