My new Philips shl9600 dj headphones are the best portable ive heard
Mar 18, 2008 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Beyerfan70

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,just wanted to share my love for my new philips shl9600 dj headphones
I'm not sure if these have been talked about on here as i couldn't find anything on the search but these are without doubt one of the best sounding portable headphone's i have heard,and believe me ive heard a lot.
They are the successor to the hp460,and even though they were a rather good phone these 9600's blow them away,in fact for £40 they are possibly the best portable around!
I use them on my sony walkman mp3 player and my hi-md walkman and have the sound flat and they sound really clear and natural with a nice even bass,a good balanced mid and a very crisp top end
You can hear the full range of your music with these,and considering they are closed and are relatively cheap and on top of that they do a rather good job of isolating as well they could be the best!
If i was going to find a fault then maybe it would be that the build quality is a little bit on the cheap side but having said that they do only cost £40 and you would have to be quite silly to break them so really its just nit picking.
I think they are a really wonderful headphone,one of the best ive ever bought.
They certainly rival phones that cost double the amount,sound quality they go higher than that so all in all they really shine!
So i just wanted to share that love with you all

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 16
Whoops sorry
Ok well compared to......Senn px200,Akg 26p,27i,k81dj,Philips hp460,Bose triport oe and over ear,Sony mdr710lp,it blows all these out of the water
In fact they sound a lot like the panasonic rp-htx7,but with a more rounded sound,and of course more portable.

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 16
Nice one, I'm almost done convincing my little brother to buy one of these since I read this thread. So, perhaps I'll post a review later on!

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 16
it's rather accidential that i bought this headphones. I had to drive for 7 hours, and right before i start my journey i realise my sound system doesn't work, which i'd normally plug my ipod into this cassette adapter.

anyway, i bought this shl9600 for 3 reasons when i decided to buy it.
1. i haven't got a headphone yet (only in-ear earphones)
2. the price sounds reasonable for the spec ($80nzd)
3. obviously cuz i needed music on my way back

so off i go, continuously played music with it for 7hours straight. amazingly im impressed with sound isolation, the balanced high, mids, and bass.
the only minus i'd give is probably the ergonomics, it would be good if they can extend a little further, cuz my head is quite big unfortunately lol

im no expert in headphones, i haven't tried all the models, only some of the leading brands like akg, senn and bose, but if i had to put a score out of 10, i'd say it's a 8.5 overall. u won't be disappointed if you buy it

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #6 of 16
IMHO driving while wearing headphones is extremely dangerous, especially with a closed pair like the Philips. It may as well be illegal.

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 16
Pick your poison. Crashing for either reason isn't good. Worse, you might not hear a police or ambulance siren and end up killing someone else. Headphones (covering both ears) while driving is definitely illegal in most states (look it up). You're lucky you didn't get pinched, or worse, cause an accident that could hurt other people.

May 6, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 16
Driving on rural roads in New Zealand, where it looks like 123exmult is writing about, is NOTHING like driving in North America, Sydney or anywhere else. As long as the bloke stays awake behind the wheel he's a good bet to be safer than some plonker on a busy freeway in USA, navigating Sydney rush hour, flying down the Autobahn or anywhere else. I agree that one should be alert at all times, and that it should be illegal to drive with headphones on but when was that last time you saw someone TXTing off a mobile phone, reading a map, smoking a cigarette, talking to a passenger in the back seat or EATING for God's sake while driving? And what about the motorcycle helmets that have headsets built into them? Or the truckdrivers in Queensland that do 20 hours straight? Really...a bit of reality please....

May 6, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 16
Anyone else bagged these? Sometimes these brands bring out good value for money, but I'd be interested in a few more opinions.

I'm especially concerned about bass response and sound stage. I equalise the bass down on the K81 because I find it excessive, but as for sound stage it does pretty well for a closed headphone if you ask me, and I wouldn't want to lose a massive amount of that.

May 7, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 16
ddoingwell, sorry you got hit here but you brought up a very bad subject. i have a friend who was hit by a driver who was listening to headphones. no traffic, residential area, ignored the stop sign.

my friend had to then fly back home to germany to get properly fixed up after breaking his arm, concussion etc.

i would check with nz laws to see if it is illegal before going on a ride with phones on. personally, you checking everyone here as bagging on you is poor form as headphones and driving are not a good mix at all.

my tone is very soft now. i have no respect for such behaviour.

edit: all the examples you stated are just precedence for you to keep the dangerous driving habits up: get with reality.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sackynut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How comfortable are these headphones? 1- 10

Bump and second this. I read on a japanese review that someone with a large head might have problems with it since the headband is a little short?

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #14 of 16
I forgot about these. Since then I just got a K518DJ LE
tongue.gif
But there are other products around this price range to consider, such as the Audio Technica SJ5, but I seem to remember it was established that the isolation paled in comparison to the K81/K518, or something like that, even if the sound was fairly good.

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #15 of 16
I concur with most of what's been said here already. This is my first post so the experts among you may want to take my comments with a grain of salt.

Firstly, I'd also like to add that driving with headphones on is just plain wrong - and being from NZ but having lived in Sydney for a time, I can say Auckland rush hour traffic is almost as bad (rural roads are a different story). It is not however illegal, although anyone driving with headphones on who causes an accident will likely be charged with negligence in this country.

At any rate, onto the phones. This thread was my inspiration for trying the SHL9600 and I am NOT disappointed! Personally, I rate them better than the AKG K26, Sennheiser PX100, Sennheiser HD 201, Sony MDR-V500, and they are possibly even almost as good as my K450s. Actually, I paid four times the price for the K450s (although, to be fair I got the SHL9600 at cost) and was somewhat disappointed (having read the review over at AKG K 450 Review – It’s sound is legendary | Viktor Basso Initially I couldn't agree with his opinion on the treble, and the bass is somewhat overwhelming, however, after some break-in and a flat equaliser setting they have sprung to life!

As a comparison the SHL9600s are very similar to the HD 201s, but with a better bass response and the 1.2m cable makes them the perfect portable (they're not really DJ headphones). And yes they are comfortable (8/10) although after an extended listening duration (3 to 4 hours) my ears do get a little sweaty as the cups don't fully cover the ear like the HD 201s.

Unfortunately I can confirm the headband is a little on the small side and will probably be an issue for those among you with a big head! I'm just an average size guy and I can say I have them close to fully extended. This is a shame for an otherwise great set of phones.

We'll see how the build quality holds up in due course as mine are still in their infancy, but I suspect it could be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back