My new King of IEMs (Tony's Triple.fi review)
Dec 18, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #91 of 171
Yea, I would agree. I don't think they sound any closer to Etys than the Shures do. It's a different kind of detail being so dry and airy. Plus the sound signature is warm, laid back, long decay. Etys are exact opposite.

Looking forward to getting my Sony A818 next week to see how some EQ does with the Triple Fi's. I feel the need to crispin up the highs on most recordings.

A big realistic soundstage and a very controlled and refined sound are the biggest attributes of TFP IMHO.

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #92 of 171
Tony wanted this exchange that took place in the APureSound Ety cable thread copied into this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How were you able to get them this fast? This is incredible! Did you have to pay any customs dutys?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I was surprised too, they went out friday and got here tuesday. And I didn't even get hit for customs or anything.

Quote:

Awesome. Hook them to your Rudistor!

Quote:

I have just listened to the first half of Verdi's Requem from the RudiStor on both Ety, TFP and L3000 and it is amazing how close the TFP gets to L3000. It dosen't resolve as well when things get complex and the bass hasn't quit got the same weight but it is still amazing. The Ety hasn't got that weight of either but it resolves better than both the others and probably reaches as low in absolute terms. Comfort wise the TFP is killing my ears after an hour and I can't see how I'm going to be able to use it for hours. Also the TFP is even more sensitive than the L3000 and picks up any noise from the amp and cd player that is only barely audible with L3000 and inaudible with Ety.

Quote:

You should use the plane adapter. It's very good quality and kills the hiss, without touching the sound quality at all. I can't wait for you to do so and report (hopefully with a big smile in your face).

Quote:

You are quit right, the airline adapter did get rid of all the hiss. Is it just a resistor like a P to S adapter or is there something else in it ?
I had to turn the volume on the amp up a fair bit with it in line.
Now the only problem remaining is the sheer physical pain after about an hour of wearing the TFP's.

Quote:

That will disappear once you have tried the Shure black foam tips.
Do you mind if we copy this discussion in the Triple fi thread? It's very informative.

So I guess I will now have to mod my last spare pair of Shure black olives as I can not live with the physical pain of using the TFP with any of the supplied tips

Dec 19, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #94 of 171
According to Tony you use a scalpel or other sharp knife to cut the plastic tube out of a set of black olives and a set of UE foamies and the fit the UE plastic tubes inside the black olives with super glue. I have not yet tried it.

Dec 19, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #95 of 171
I can't believe Tony sold them. He was discussing it with me but I didn't think he would actually do it. How disappointing. After he waited so long for them to get to him from me, after a week he sells them to someone else. He was just unhappy with the cable and I told him to wait for a replacement. How can you be able to wait 60 days for the TF, then love them more than any other IEM, then sell them within a week because you don't have patience to try a recable is just beyond me. Frankly, I'm just mesmerized over this one.

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #96 of 171
I don't actually think the stock cable is all that bad, certainly a lot better than the Atrio cable that I really hated. For me the problem is the size in the ear that causes physical pain after about an hour but I will give the black olive mod a try. I'm still not sure that the sound is for me. They are the closest I've come to the L3000 sound but at the same time I deffinately think I loose some of the traits that makes the Ety so great. And the APS Ety fit/comfort/size just can't be beat.

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #97 of 171
Hahahaha, yes, Tony said he couldn't wait for 2 months for another cable. He's very impatient. Loves and leaves his headphones in a flash, and then he's on to the next one, except I think he's running out of choices. When he told me he'd sold them already, I had to laugh
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #98 of 171
Ok, some various thoughts.

The issues I've been having with comfort are not the only reason for me to have sold the Triple fi. The other one is personal, partly financial, but doesn't need to be made public as it involves my current situation, not the headphones. I've talked to the people involved, however.

nc8000's Triple fi is not my pair. Jan bought his own from Earphone solution, and it's nice to see how fast Danish customs has been in releasing his package. It's also great to see how much he likes the sound, and that he's not disappointed after having read my thought in this thread.
I can see IpodPJ's disappointment having thought Jan was my buyer, and he already received the Triple fi. My pair is still in my hands, but it'll have to leave soon.

I've received my T2 back from iBasso's warranty, so before I ship the Triples I'm giving another comparison between them and the recabled Etymotic, but this is matter for another post.

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #99 of 171
Yes I do rather like the sound, the most full size headphone like sound I have ever heard in an iem but it is still no Ety replacement. I could actually see me keeping both if I can resolve the comfort problems.

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #101 of 171
You wish .......

I have just finished listening to Kraftwerk's Minimum-Maximum and the TFP takes this to a new level, I never knew there was so much going on in there and so much bass. I have tried modding black olives but they are unable to go deep enough into the ear to hold the phone so I will stick with the biflanges. I have now reverted from the flip-flop mod and have found that while the flip-flop mod might give a slightly better seal it also positions the phones so they press certain parts of my ear and was the main reason for the physical discomfort. They are still not as comfortable as Ety's but I was able to go all the way through Minimum-Maximum (near 2 hours) without major discomfort and I still find that the stock cable works very well. I've been doing this test from my Nano and SuperMicro and using the UE airline adapter as it completely eliminates the whine/hiss from the SuperMicro.

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #102 of 171
I love Minimum Maximum. It brought me into electronic music one year ago. It has such a beautiful bass (and details) that it sounds great with the Etys too.

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #103 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe Tony sold them. He was discussing it with me but I didn't think he would actually do it. How disappointing. After he waited so long for them to get to him from me, after a week he sells them to someone else. He was just unhappy with the cable and I told him to wait for a replacement. How can you be able to wait 60 days for the TF, then love them more than any other IEM, then sell them within a week because you don't have patience to try a recable is just beyond me. Frankly, I'm just mesmerized over this one.

i think the issue tony had was a bit more than just the cable deep down, hes given up on them way too soon after such a promising review even if it is just the cable. ofcourse its just a feeling i have and he does just say its the cable alone but i dont have trouble with any cables,wether it be shures,ultimate ears or atrios.

the problems i do have however is the overal design of the earphones. i find the cables fit closer and tighter to the head with earphones such as the shures due to the shures sitting flush in the actual outer ear. the ultimate ears cables have been ok with the metal wire in to help but the triple fi 10 for whatever reason was a bit of a pain with memory wire or not and i put it down to the earphone design and bulkiness out of the ear.

the cable is just a cable and shouldnt be any more comfortable or uncomfortable as any other cable with a smooth unbraided surface (unless its super thick ue11 style) so any problems anybody has with cables is just down to overall design IMO.

ofcourse thats just my thoughts on it and i cant speak for anybody else

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #104 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the problems i do have however is the overal design of the earphones. i find the cables fit closer and tighter to the head with earphones such as the shures due to the shures sitting flush in the actual outer ear. the ultimate ears cables have been ok with the metal wire in to help but the triple fi 10 for whatever reason was a bit of a pain with memory wire or not and i put it down to the earphone design and bulkiness out of the ear.

You said it well. When I say "cable", I mean how the design makes you feel the cable (over the ear, and so on). Some people have called it bulkiness, others "fit". I have solved the "tip" part of fit issue, but couldn't do anything with the rest.

Regarding the feeling of yours you are talking about, I have provided all the impressions I could and given all the hints that came to mind to describe this IEM. Many people have been buying the Triple fi lately, and they know exactly what to expect from them. I wouldn't change anything from my review: neither the enthusiasm about the great sound quality, nor the frustration I gathered from the lack of comfort. As this happens in a moment of tension in my life, such a frustration makes me difficult to enjoy the sound. There are some people who are giving their own point of view about the matter (sound & fit), so whoever reads can make his mind and decide if this IEM is for him.

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #105 of 171
Jinx, try to give some credit here. Tony is a resourceful guy, and did a number of things to resolve the issue. It seems that nothing short of an entire chassis revamp will fix the problem, which is not reasonable for a such high tier product.
Some would keep it to fix at a later time, but others would rather sell and move on, even though the sound quality is very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back