My new King of IEMs (Tony's Triple.fi review)
Dec 15, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #76 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the only thing that burns in is the cable.

It's very possible. All I know is that the sound changed dramatically between 10 and 20 hours. If you ever had to get a new pair, you would see what I mean. It sounded as if a veil was removed from it. I have many posts about it from a long time ago.

Dec 15, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #77 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's incorrect. The Triple.Fi most certainly use armature drivers, 3 of them. And I found that the sound signature greatly improved after about 20 hours.

Thanks for correcting my mistake and telling me how long.

Dec 15, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #78 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I went to the ultimate ears website and found that you can buy the wires for their custom IEM also. They cost $33.

But the question is do these wires fit the super.fi 5 pro? If so, how do they sound?

mmh, this sounds new and significantly good for me! tell me more,pal!
The next necessary step is to use similar eartips like westone's and shure's!
cross fingers!

Dec 16, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #79 of 171
My Triple.Fi's came with an extension cable but I'm not using it. I'm okay with the cable although an extra 6 inches would be welcome. Comfort is fine now that I have discovered the biflanges.

Tony, where in Singapore did you order the Westone cable from? (Apologies if I missed that above.)

Dec 16, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #80 of 171
Jaben! Jaben Network
It's a sponsor of Headfi.
Write to Wilson and tell him your request. He's available to trim pins on the westone cable for you (ES2 pins are longer and thicker than those on the stock UE cable).

Dec 16, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #81 of 171
Interesting. Singapore isn't too far from China.

I'm really not unhappy with the cable although I love the Westone cable. I would sure love an even better fit. Here's a couple of other things I am looking at (actually two variations on the same theme):

Custom Musicians Earplugs, Hearing Protection

PerfectFit

On the second one, they say on the UE page here that the UE version
Quote:

are made specifically with the oversized sound channel that is so critical to the excellent sound your UEs are known for.

The Fischer also look to have huge canals. Both good designs. I am intrigued...

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #84 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it does. Biflanges fit much better, too.

does it have an effect on sound at all?? i dont think they look too bad with flip flop but its just backwards isnt it, meks you wonder why ultimate ears didnt go for that

Dec 16, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #85 of 171
Actually, Ultimate ears has adopted it too. I think it's lower profile, and it doesn't affect the sound. It's better for silicon tips.

Dec 16, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #86 of 171
Holy crap! You're not kidding about the flip flop mod and biflanges. Now they're staying perfectly in place.

Hmmm.... might not need custom tips at all.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does it have an effect on sound at all??

Substantially improved bass on this end. I'm getting a perfect seal. Really this is like new headphones. And I already quite liked the old.

Dec 17, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #87 of 171
This is actually funny. I bought the Triple.fi's because I was getting such a great seal and SQ in the store in HK using just medium silicon tips. Looking back, I remember that the guy was smiling at me until I realised that I had the IEMS in backwards. So I put them in properly. In the days that followed, I never got as good a seal again. I switched to big silicon tips then biflanges. I started looking at ordering custom tips.

Now thanks to the thread, I just did the flip flop mod as of last night - only this time switching the cables so the channels are correct. I'm back where I started with the medium tips. Isolation is incredible. (I couldn't hear the taxi driver talking to me in the cab this morning at all.) No fiddling around. Consistent deep bass.

What goes around comes around.
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #89 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is actually funny. I bought the Triple.fi's because I was getting such a great seal and SQ in the store in HK using just medium silicon tips. Looking back, I remember that the guy was smiling at me until I realised that I had the IEMS in backwards. So I put them in properly. In the days that followed, I never got as good a seal again. I switched to big silicon tips then biflanges. I started looking at ordering custom tips.

Now thanks to the thread, I just did the flip flop mod as of last night - only this time switching the cables so the channels are correct. I'm back where I started with the medium tips. Isolation is incredible. (I couldn't hear the taxi driver talking to me in the cab this morning at all.) No fiddling around. Consistent deep bass.

What goes around comes around.
biggrin.gif

Hahahah. I am happy to have helped!
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #90 of 171
Posted this elsewhere but it really belongs here.

Have just received the Tripple.Fi's and given them a short try.

First impression is holy c... where did that bass come from ?
It is almost like using my L3000. An iem can't produce that much bass.

Second is impression is where did the Ety detail and treble sparkle go ?

This is no Ety replacement but a completely different annimal. Mind you this is after only 20 minutes of listening to about 5 different tracks and with no burn in what so ever so all could change. I will be taking both pairs with me on Christmas vacation to UK and will get a lot of time to listen to music and then we will se what I think after New Year.

One thing is certain however. They are not going to beat the APS Ety's for comfort and portability/size. And the flip-flop mod is essential for fit and comfort. The bi-flanges seems to be the ones that fit me the best and is the most comfortable. I have not tried to mod a set of black olives as I'm down to my last set.

They also pick up the whine from my SuperMicro that the Ety's don't.

I will try them tonight out of the RPX-100 rig and see what happens then.

Oh, and I don't actually find the stock cable to be all that bad for comfort, certainly it is a lot better that the cable on the Atrio's which I really hated. The comfort issue is more of the actual body of the phone being so much larger than the Ety and the tube going into the ear being so much thicker. No doubt they will be sturdier and last longer than the Ety's that have cracke/broken on me 3 times in 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back