My new ARIA has arrived.
Dec 28, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #121 of 396
thanks for mini-review Skylab, I'm getting back into audio now and am looking at USB convenience for a DAC, would be great if someone can post comparison to say a MicroDac or the Apogee (know it's in a different price league but nevertheless, curious as it's the only usb DAC I've auditioned).

Otherwise just more opinions about the Aria used with its DAC would be welcome as I'm thinking about taking up the promotional offer.

Cheers

Dec 28, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #122 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atropos
does the right blue led only light if there is an usb signal? i mean just switching to usb doesnt make any blue light, does it? because i have no computer nearby to test it out.

Yes, when you connect the standard usb cable to your computer and the Corda Aria the blue lamp light is of the same rather bright blue color as the left one. At first I was a little overwhelmed by its brightness but after all I think it takes the right attention to it! Something that is good should take some attention or not?

When you disconnect the computer the right led-lamp is out of light. The amp section will still be in function!

Some other aspects:

To me (at nearly 60 years of age) and my children of around their 30's this amp looks very good in the context of a computer based rig (all desktop Dell things). My children all where very pleased when they see 'THE THING'. I was pretty restraint of the reactions of my children, but they all react: Whaww ......(or what your youngsters call it...). I think this kind of amp outlook also apeal to much younger persons.

Also when you have a laptop! Set it next to your laptop on your table, put it on to your supply-outlet and let the music gets out of the computer/amp/phone combination, let you get away with your music of choice and at the same time you can get on with our work or hobby!

It looks not only fantastic but also sounds fantastic, believe me.

The only thing to get used to is that the volume knob (when using usb connection) will get a little high, although only when you are using low efficiency cans! Untill now I am not running out of gain with my Senn 650 or (new) DT880. Both are making real music in my view! It does not matter if I use rock, jazz or (mostly) classic. In the end you will have to search for your own level of soundreproduction! I think you can with the Corda Aria.

I am now going to run in the Corda Aria and dt880 any further (> 120 hours untill now). I will evaluate the total of Dell computer/corda aria/dt 880/senn 650 after some 500 hours of running-in (like a new car running in! ). This costs a couple of weeks from now. At that time I will also evaluate the combination with a separate fully equiped cd player (Can that better the running combination? I will evaluate it). But the last combi was not my fist objective to buy the Corda Aria, I am holding this one in this context, be for sure!

My own expierence untill now is very good with the combination Corda Aria/new DT880/Dell Computer/standard usb-cable. I only expierenced the computer rig, untill now. The rig as combination has around 150 hours on the supply for the Corda Aria and only the half of the time with audio-signal. I expect still some developement, but not severely, only in the last detail compartment.

Untill now I am really impressed! That is after 7 days. But I am not yet so far that I want to take end conclusions. The only conclusion I think is real at this moment, that this amp/amp-computer-link is for me for the price to pay a very very good proposition for someone who has at this moment enough in the wallatt and want a very good amp in combination with a computer with a dac for nearly free.

I have tried several sorts of music from classic, rock to jazz. I have played yet a extensive load of cd's that I perfectley know from listening through other high end stuff, so I think I can give you a little judgement. After several hours of listening to this reference discs I come to the conclusion, that - in my personal view, within my combination of components and the Corda Aria at central - they all sound very good to my ears (your ears may be expiereince it all a little different, I know!).

Greetings

Pieter Vink.

Dec 28, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #124 of 396
From what I have heard the amp is easily worth the 400 dollars alone and it is about the best buy at that price range, of course this is from others opinions not my personal listening.

Dec 28, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #125 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by green84061
From what I have heard the amp is easily worth the 400 dollars alone and it is about the best buy at that price range, of course this is from others opinions not my personal listening.

Yeah, I'd say that.

Dec 28, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #126 of 396
How has anyone made a convincing argument, especially without even a single real comparison of the aria that is being sold (not the "prototype"), that the amp "easily", or even probably, is better than anything else at ~$400. especially when you consider amps at $400 used.

It is certainly a good deal within the meier line up. yet, i've seen some people consider the meier amps significantly overpriced when compared with, for example, singlepower. and the starting price for one of those is ~500. Is shelling out a hundred more worth it??

And for those who say that these things are going to go for even more used. I doubt it, as we can see after the short lived wonder boy status of hf-1's, now it being lucky if your expenses break even (as a recent ebay auction search will show).

Dec 28, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #127 of 396
Well their is the fact that singlepower amps are tube amps and meier amps are SS so that might make up some difference in what people think they are worth.

Dec 28, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #128 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
And for those who say that these things are going to go for even more used. I doubt it, as we can see after the short lived wonder boy status of hf-1's, now it being lucky if your expenses break even (as a recent ebay auction search will show).

I said it "could potentially" go for enough used to get back what the early adopters paid for it ("or very close to it"). When the price goes up and if the general consensus at that point is that it is still a very good value at that new price then *potentially* someone that bought it at the initial price may be able to recoup most/all of their cost by selling it used (depending on condition/new price/etc). I was not talking about investment or profiteering just a chance that one might be able to recoup their costs if they didn't like it.

Ant

Dec 29, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #129 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I posted my thoughts/review here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=108

FWIW
orphsmile.gif

Hey Skylab, have you tried it with your DT-880s? Any thoughts on how it might compare to an M3 amp?

Dec 29, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #130 of 396
Just recieved mine. It was shipped on Tuesday 27 Dec from Germany and I got it this morning 29 Dec in London. Awesome. And communicating with Mr. Meier was a pleasure.

The unit itself is extremely pretty, very well built, and packaged very well.

I have it hooked up via USB to my office PC and am listening to Tchaikovsky right now via HD650s. It sounds outstanding. I lack any other reference amplifier (or indeed combination, as I just recieved the phones today too), but I'm very very pleased with the combination. I only have 1 CD in the office, so I'll listen more with other types of music before forming a full conclusion.

Dec 29, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #131 of 396
I have got my Aria one week ago and yesterday (after more than 100h burn in) a friend of mine and me did some testing with the Aria.
We listened with a AKG K701.
To compare with we got as amplifiers a CEC HD53 (modified to the new R-model) and a Ear Max Pro Tubeamp (modified). For the signals a CEC CD5300 and a Computer/USB with .wav-musik were used. (Some people compare the HD53 with the M3 in the quality of amplifikation, but I have never had the chance to listen to a M3. The CD5300 is shurely one of the best CDP till 5.000$).

The results for us are:
1. With USB the sound was nearly as good as via a TOP CDP. For me the only diference was a better focus at the different instruments. You got more space around your head.
2. Compaired to the HD53 (both with the signal from the CD5300, the HD53 via XLR) this was again the main difference. You could tell clearly who is who. But again the difference was not as big as the pricedifference might say.
3. The EarMax Pro was about in the midle between both.

>>> They were all very close together on a top level !!!
The Aria is a hell of a headamp and totaly worth it`s price.
It is easy to use worldwide, all you need is just a PC and you can listen
to highend musik.

>>>>> I do not need more !

Markus

Dec 29, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #132 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
How has anyone made a convincing argument, especially without even a single real comparison of the aria that is being sold (not the "prototype"), that the amp "easily", or even probably, is better than anything else at ~$400. especially when you consider amps at $400 used.

It is certainly a good deal within the meier line up. yet, i've seen some people consider the meier amps significantly overpriced when compared with, for example, singlepower. and the starting price for one of those is ~500. Is shelling out a hundred more worth it??

My reasonably detailed comparison (which I posted elsewhere, link above) was made with the real Aria and was, at least, considerably better than the $350 Xin SuperMacro 3 V6 (admittedly a portable amp). I have not heard every amp at $400 to be sure, but with a USB DAC, and Crossfeed, it's a heck of a value for $400, no doubt about it. I highly doubt that Aria's will sell for more than $400 used, however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000
Hey Skylab, have you tried it with your DT-880s? Any thoughts on how it might compare to an M3 amp?

Sorry RedRich, but I sold my DT880's before the Aria arrived.

Dec 29, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #133 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphro1
I have got my Aria one week ago and yesterday (after more than 100h burn in) a friend of mine and me did some testing with the Aria.
We listened with a AKG K701.
To compare with we got as amplifiers a CEC HD53 (modified to the new R-model) and a Ear Max Pro Tubeamp (modified). For the signals a CEC CD5300 and a Computer/USB with .wav-musik were used. (Some people compare the HD53 with the M3 in the quality of amplifikation, but I have never had the chance to listen to a M3. The CD5300 is shurely one of the best CDP till 5.000$).

Was it RichterDi's gear you've used for the contest?

Dec 30, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #135 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
at least, considerably better than the $350 Xin SuperMacro 3 V6 (admittedly a portable amp).

Which opamp was in the supermacro when you made this comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back