My new ARIA has arrived.
Dec 25, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #91 of 396
Dear Headfellows,

To gain or not to gain, that's the question.

There's no such thing as an optimal gain for headphone amplifiers. A lot depends on the specific setup used and on the listening habits of the user.

The main factors are:

- The sensitivity of the headphone used. This one can vary a lot. For instance the HD600 produces 107 dB at 1 Volts where as the HD25-1 produces 143 dB at the same output signal! And a K601 is even less sensitive then the HD600. Therefore a range of 40dB between the various headphone models is not unrealistic.

- The output signal of the source. Regular CD-players have a maximum output signal of around 2 Volts but certain DACs go up to 4V values! On the other hand portable MPEG-3 players, limited by their powersupply of just 1.5 Volts, have a typical output signal that can be as low as just 400 mV. This is a 20 dB difference!

- The music listened to. Popular music has generally low dynamics. The sound level varies relatively little and the signal is recorded near maximum level continously. However, with modern symphonic music the soft passages are often recorded at a low level in order to record the very loud passages without any distortion. Therefore classical music often needs more amplification then popular music. The difference can be easily 10..20 dB.

- Listening habits. Some people like to listen at very high sound levels (headbangers), other people prefer to save their hearings. Again differences of 10..20 db with the same kind of music are not uncommon.

The difference between the two most extreme situations thus can be upto 100 dB! The amplification factor of any headphoneamp therefore has to be a compromise. At a very low gain factor not enough sound pressure will be produced at certain situations. At a very high gain factor the volume control will work at a region of non-optimal performance (channel-imbalances) and noise and distortion will be unnecessarily increased.

The ARIA was designed to work optimal with a 2 Volts input (regular CD-player) even if a high impedance headphone like the DT880 or HD650 is used. Unfortunately the internal USB-DAC chip provides a signal that is 6 dB lower than that of a CD-player. Therefore the maximum output signal using the USB-DAC is limited to 2.8 Volts (2 Volts RMS). But even with a DT880 this results in a rather unhealthy maximum sound level of around 113 dB!

A word of care!

While listening to headphones we lack several feedback mechanisms on volume level that are present when we listen to loudspeakers. Much less distortion, no feeling of the lower frequencies by our body and no psychological restraints not to annoy our fellow-men easily seduces us to listen at volume levels that are detrimental to our hearing.

Hearing damage from regular exposure to high sound levels progresses slowly but is irreversible and can result in permanent hearing loss.

!!!! Please choose your volume setting with caution !!!!

Personally I would recommend against an increased amplification factor. Increased noise/distortion and poor volume control when low impedance headphones are used. Moreover, a lower amplification factor will force you to listen at saver sound levels. The primary idea behind a headphoneamplifier is to improve on sound quality, not on its quantity!

But that's my opinion. If people like a higher gain setting then that's what they will get. However, be aware that there's no 30 day return policy on amplifiers that have been modified custom-specific.

Cheers

Jan

Dec 25, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #92 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier
For instance the HD600 produces 107 dB at 1 Volts.

I think this is a typo.

The Sennheiser HD-600 and HD-650 are both rated at 102 dB/V.

The Beyer DT-880 has almost the identical voltage sensitivity.

The AKG K701's are 3 dB more sensitive, at 105 dB/V.

The Sony SA5000's are much more sensitive, at 114 dB/V.

This wide variation is sensitivity, and the big difference in recording levels, is why it can be useful to offer switchable gains. The downside, of course, is the parts cost is increased, switches may fail over time, and it may be hard to implement the switching in a way that doesn't impair sound quality.

The warnings about listening at too loud a sound level are certainly worth repeating. And for the vast majority of cases, with all popular music and most classical music, there's seldom a need for added gain. But if you happen to have favorite recordings that have tracks recorded at an unusually low level, the added gain is helpful. Why spend $700 or more on a good set of headphones and matching headphone amplifier and then be left needing a bit more gain? Again, that's where switchable gain (as is available in the Corda Prehead) is really useful. But implementing it in am optimum fashion can be tricky.

Dec 26, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #93 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by daninthemix
I have this combo, and the sound is very sweet indeed. My only concern is the volume - I've emailed Jan about this and he's a bit puzzled. Basically I run the 880s with the Aria at around 3 o clock on a lot of material. On some material I have the Aria at max volume and still wish I had more. I don't know whether this is a USB issue or not.

Sound quality wise - excellent. Volume wise - wish there was more headroom. (and yes - I have the volume turned up to max in windows and in the source app).

Hi daninthemix

May I ask what your sources are?

I'm using a computer as a source with the windows and all other volumes at max.

I am currently listening with my DT880s to one of Ray's Hornets set to the Hi gain setting, and it is quietly comfortable at about 7 o'clock and hurts my ears at 12 (the Hornet starts at about 6:30). At Med gain, the same volume is around 8 o'clock and with the Low gain setting a similar volume is around 9 o'clock.

Regards

USG

Dec 26, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #94 of 396
Is the Aria available to buy at this time or is it under a backorder? I was considering getting myself one for x-mas but if its on a major backorder I may look elsewhere.

Dec 26, 2005 at 11:31 AM Post #95 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
Is the Aria available to buy at this time or is it under a backorder? I was considering getting myself one for x-mas but if its on a major backorder I may look elsewhere.

An email to Jan Meier might answer your question........

Dec 26, 2005 at 11:34 AM Post #96 of 396
Thanks for the help...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #97 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty

I reserved mine on 12/18, sent payment 12/22, and got an email that it will ship tomorrow so I imagine he is nearly caught up on orders
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #98 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by voidstar
I reserved mine on 12/18, sent payment 12/22, and got an email that it will ship tomorrow so I imagine he is nearly caught up on orders
biggrin.gif

You're lucky. I placed my order a week before you did, and I also just received an email saying it will ship out tomorrow. So the backlog does seem to be clearing up.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #99 of 396
For those in the UK by what service did your amp arrive? Did you need to sign for it?

I ask as I've had mine sent to my house but I'm at my parents' place until January. I think they return to sender after 7 days if the package requires a signature.
frown.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #100 of 396
I've been absent from this forum for a long time due to the fact that I've listened to music through my home theater, but now that I've moved into a appartment, where I can't use my HT so freely as in the place I used to live, I came back to this place; and what happens?? I end up spending 525 euros.
eek.gif

Visited meier-audios site and noticed the excellent price they had for both, the DT880s (originals, which IMO look much better than the update 2006 version) and the Corda Aria... so I ordered and payed them just few moments ago.

Now I just can't wait for them to arrive...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #101 of 396
trbl: if you're listening via USB you're presumably sourcing from a PC. If the _entire_ material you're listening to is at very low level, wouldn't a simple choice be to normalize it? If it's just got a lot of dynamic range I realise this isn't an option, but if it's all well below the highest possible level, normalizing shouldn't cause any trouble.

Dec 26, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #102 of 396
I just placed an order for one and according to Jan, he has units ready to go without a delay. Im excited.
icon10.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #103 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
trbl: if you're listening via USB you're presumably sourcing from a PC. If the _entire_ material you're listening to is at very low level, wouldn't a simple choice be to normalize it? If it's just got a lot of dynamic range I realise this isn't an option, but if it's all well below the highest possible level, normalizing shouldn't cause any trouble.

I always do all my listening from Philips DVD 963SA straight ino the headphone amp (currently a Stax SRM 1 Mk 2, to be joined by the Aria). I bought the Aria just for its conventional headphone amp, not the USB DAC.

My PowerMac dual G5 just makes too much noise to be used in a listening room, with or without headphones. The 963SA's transport is also rather noisy with a few discs, but I'm sure I get better sound quality from it. And I love music too much to listen to it sitting bolt upright in front of the computer.
smily_headphones1.gif

So thanks for the suggestion, but it wouldn't work in my case. And to answer the question, as I said it's just certain classical tracks that are at a low level, but they're often my favorite tracks.
smily_headphones1.gif
So the best solution is just to do a little gain riding via the volume control, and make sure the headphone amp has enough gain.

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #104 of 396
trbl: ah, I see, I was sure you mentioned somewhere you used the USB in - sorry!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #105 of 396
Anyone able to compare and contrast this to the glite yet? I am very curious as I just ordered a glite from Justin this last Thursday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back