My Mosin-Nagant
Mar 5, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #46 of 64
Sure. Broom-handled Mausers. Horrible guns from shooting and reliability points of view. Unnautural pointing, the action and bore are way above supporting hand, loads by stripper clip to a fixed box magazine, and the action's unreliable. Really quite cledgey. But beautifully machined and loaded with history. Very popular in China. Also very popular with a friend of mine who kept buying another after he forgot how much he had hated the one before.
biggrin.gif
We had scads of these available five or ten years ago, most converted to 9x19mm (and they worked even worse). Early evolutionary example of the self-loading pistol. A better shooting example of this genre would be a nice P.08 Luger (if you can find one whose price is not fully inflated).

7.63 Mauser, however, is an interesting cartridge. .30 bottleneck and Berdan primed (forget reloading unless you form your own brass) and very zippy. Very modern for its time (think .357Sig).

Pinky: I shoot over 10,000 rounds of pistol ammo most years without damaging anything other than air, paper, steel, and dirt. The shooting sports are alive and functioning without incident in the U.S. with an unprecedented rate or participation across all demographic lines. Furthermore, twenty years of uncontrovertible empiric statistics in this country demonstrate that our states with "shall issue" concealed carry laws have lower violent crime rates than all other jurisdictions in this country. Much to the chagrin of the gun haters, firearms do have demonstrably beneficial roles in society.

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #47 of 64
Quote:

I sometimes forget this is a US site and that guns are legal over there.... in the UK the only type of people who carry guns around the streets are drug dealers, the police and criminals.

That's understandable. If I only saw criminals and cops with guns I'd have a much more negative impression of them too. Remember, the average gun owner(in the US and Canada anyway) is safe and responsible, unfortuneately this is often not the image that many are exposed to.

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
Much to the chagrin of the gun haters, firearms do have demonstrably beneficial roles in society.

Until you meet someone like him....
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp

who wants to die first

FREEZE.jpg

Amicalement

EDIT: My anti-gun position is well known. But it could have been a so much more powerfull statement if the pro-guns on Head-Fi had taken the opportunity to kick his ass...Just a thought...

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Sure. Broom-handled Mausers. Horrible guns from shooting and reliability points of view. Unnautural pointing, the action and bore are way above supporting hand, loads by stripper clip to a fixed box magazine, and the action's unreliable. Really quite cledgey. But beautifully machined and loaded with history. Very popular in China. Also very popular with a friend of mine who kept buying another after he forgot how much he had hated the one before.
biggrin.gif
We had scads of these available five or ten years ago, most converted to 9x19mm (and they worked even worse). Early evolutionary example of the self-loading pistol. A better shooting example of this genre would be a nice P.08 Luger (if you can find one whose price is not fully inflated).

7.63 Mauser, however, is an interesting cartridge. .30 bottleneck and Berdan primed (forget reloading unless you form your own brass) and very zippy. Very modern for its time (think .357Sig).

Pinky: I shoot over 10,000 rounds of pistol ammo most years without damaging anything other than air, paper, steel, and dirt. The shooting sports are alive and functioning without incident in the U.S. with an unprecedented rate or participation across all demographic lines. Furthermore, twenty years of uncontrovertible empiric statistics in this country demonstrate that our states with "shall issue" concealed carry laws have lower violent crime rates than all other jurisdictions in this country. Much to the chagrin of the gun haters, firearms do have demonstrably beneficial roles in society.

They certainly have a high bore line! but as for reliability I have only shot one
on an occasional basis and had no problems, perhaps if I used one more often
I would discover the shortcomings.
[Then again as a flintlock user, I am tolerant soul....]
I did find the pistol an accurate shooter though, and the high bore line did not
cause problems as i was not doing any rapid fire.[that 7.63 was a real firecracker of a round..]
As for the P08, they are another nice pistol but I found them to be very sensitive to ammo, and quite easy to 'limp wrist'.[again could be ammo related though]
I especially enjoyed the navy luger for off hand target work.

But I think my first love will always be the 1911
biggrin.gif
, I actually owned one of those, that is until our beloved government decided to ban the private ownership
of such arms !
mad.gif

Setmenu

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #50 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
Until you meet someone like him....
tongue.gif

EDIT: My anti-gun position is well known. But it could have been a so much more powerfull statement if the pro-guns on Head-Fi had taken the opportunity to kick his ass...Just a thought...

I don't pose with guns because I consider it in bad taste and feel no need. I look at pictures like that, shake my head, and shrug. There is no other take away from that picture for me.

setmenu: Were you firing for accuracy with the holster shoulder stock? What diameter of group would you estimate at what range for your best ten shot group on paper? I believe the broomhandle in some iterations has a ladder rear sight indicating expectations of some impressive effective ranges.

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

I don't pose with guns because I consider it in bad taste and feel no need. I look at pictures like that, shake my head, and shrug. There is no other take away from that picture for me.

setmenu: Were you firing for accuracy with the holster shoulder stock? What diameter of group would you estimate at what range for your best ten shot group on paper? I believe the broomhandle in some iterations has a ladder rear sight indicating expectations of some impressive effective ranges.

No shoulder stock, and it was some while back so I can barely remember the
grouping at 25 yards,I do have a vague recollection of being pleased that
the first time i shot [off hand] that group was strung but well within the black of the bulls eye target, so maybe 5-7 inches or so.
I am not a particularly good shot anyhow, so most pistols are far more accurate than myself.
tongue.gif

The back sights on those pistols are calibrated something like 800 meters
eek.gif

Setmenu

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #52 of 64
I felt inclined to say something when I originally saw the photo, shows a level of immaturity maybe. Old Pa summed it up nicely.

“I don't pose with guns because I consider it in bad taste and feel no need. I look at pictures like that, shake my head, and shrug. There is no other take away from that picture for me.”

But the photo’s not as bad as the guy who posted how he was pissed off once and raced home cutting people off. That could have killed some one and the guy was bragging about it.

Mitch

Mar 5, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
I felt inclined to say something when I originally saw the photo, shows a level of immaturity maybe. Old Pa summed it up nicely.

And the last thing I wanted was to impose any precise obligation to any particular individual to get involved. I usually do this all by myself with the usual result....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Mar 5, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #54 of 64
the photo was taken because someone requested i point the gun at the camera while wearing my gas mask...

the "who wants to die first?" comment... well that's not my usual style... i would never use a gun to kill someone... i prefer my bare hands or a large rock

>.>
<.<
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #55 of 64
Quote:

the photo was taken because someone requested i point the gun at the camera while wearing my gas mask...

the "who wants to die first?" comment... well that's not my usual style... i would never use a gun to kill someone... i prefer my bare hands or a large rock

>.>
<.<
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well, next time you may want to keep such a thing between you and the other person. Owning a gun commands a large amount of responsibility and you're far more likely to be hurt on accident than through any malicious incident. I've met my share of right-wing ultra-conservative gun nuts and I've met some people that will probably help clean the gene pool through their gun ownership. This is just something that comes with the sport as I would expect to find in the extremes of other things and by no means does it represent the norm. But if you want to go around acting callous and cool with them, do it with a movie prop or something. The last thing we need are more people showing off stupid things, especially to an impressionable community of varying opinions.

Mar 5, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #56 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
Well, next time you may want to keep such a thing between you and the other person. Owning a gun commands a large amount of responsibility and you're far more likely to be hurt on accident than through any malicious incident. I've met my share of right-wing ultra-conservative gun nuts and I've met some people that will probably help clean the gene pool through their gun ownership. This is just something that comes with the sport as I would expect to find in the extremes of other things and by no means does it represent the norm. But if you want to go around acting callous and cool with them, do it with a movie prop or something. The last thing we need are more people showing off stupid things, especially to an impressionable community of varying opinions.

you do realize that the rifle was unloaded and the saftey was on... right? plus it's my gun and my camera... and also my gas mask too... but that's not important i can do anything i want with them as long as i'm not breaking any laws or putting anyone in danger...

the only way anyone would have got hurt in that situation would have been if i suddenly dropped the rifle and it landed on my foot or something

Mar 5, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #57 of 64
Quote:

The appropriate answer to this request would be "no".
Quote:

you do realize that the rifle was unloaded and the saftey was on... right? plus it's my gun and my camera... and also my gas mask too... but that's not important i can do anything i want with them as long as i'm not breaking any laws or putting anyone in danger...

Nobody give's a rat's rectum about these excuses. The answer to the requst remains "no".

Mar 5, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #58 of 64
why? because YOU say so?

is there anyone here who is capable of not taking everything on the internet so damn seriously?

Mar 5, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #59 of 64
Quote:

is there anyone here who is capable of not taking everything on the internet so damn seriously?

Obviously not. Let me know if we're still on for next weekend for killing babies & clubbing seals... right after we set a huge pile of tires on fire.
icon10.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #60 of 64
“you do realize that the rifle was unloaded and the safety was on”

How many people have been killed because someone believed that?

Always point a gun in a safe direction, always assume it’s loaded and ready to fire. Never point a gun at anything you do not intend to destroy.

“is there anyone here who is capable of not taking everything on the internet so damn seriously?”

It’s more about responsible members and gun owners trying to make sure someone less informed or knowledgeable about firearms doesn’t repeat your actions. Guns are not toys.

“Owning a gun commands a large amount of responsibility”!!

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back