My Mosin-Nagant
Feb 24, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #16 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
One of my buddies from school had a very similar (if not the same kind) Mosin Nagant. His was functional and we used to take it out in the desert and go shooting. We were in New Mexico where shooting consisted of:
1. grab a few friends with guns
2. find an empty spot in the desert on BLM land
3. set up targets and shoot

The safety on his was the same as born2bwire mentions, where it's sort of a heavy, springloaded thing at the back and was very hard to work. The action on my friend's Mosin was a little hard to work but that might be chalked up to age. We were surprised at how accurate this thing is. I hit one of those 32oz Gatorade bottles from about 75 yards with no problem. The gun is really quite large and heavy, it feels very solid in your hands. My buddy nicknamed it "the mule" because he feels it kicks like one. The metal parts got kinda hot if you shot 5-10 rounds in a relatively short period of time. Still, it's fun to shoot and impressive considering the age.

Hee hee, the carbines have a stronger kick and one heck of a muzzle flash in low light. My M44 has a sticky action as well, one of the reasons that I dislike the rifle. Mausers have pretty slick actions but their a bit long for prone (usually have to raise your head) but an Enfield is as smooth as glass. The short barrel means that it's kinda crap shoot at anything past 75 yards. Still, you'd be surprised what you can do with these 60+ year old rifles. I can consistently get 2L pop bottles at 100 yards with one of my K89k's.

Feb 25, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
The bolt is stuck because the safety is on. The MN have an interesting safety, you literally pull back the rear of the bolt and rotate it so that the large hook catches on the receiver, preventing the rear of the bolt (and the firing pin) from traveling forward.

no when the safety is on the bolt is completely locked in place and won't move the first thing i tried was the safety the bolt moves a little but gets stuck

Mar 1, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #19 of 64
well after heading to some mosin-nagant forums they said to smack the bolt with a piece of wood or something... well i didn't feel like looking for wood so i smacked it with my hand a few times

it's no longer stuck and has been cleaned

who wants to die first

FREEZE.jpg

Mar 1, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #22 of 64
Get yourself a good lubricating oil with a little Teflon in it for the bolt. Remoil and Breakfree are both excellent products for sliding surfaces. The rest of gun should be wiped down with a lighter, non-teflon oil. Beretta makes an excellent oil for the outter surfaces and other non-moving parts.

Mar 2, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #23 of 64
IT HAS ALL BEEN TAKEN CARE OF...

and archosman... pistol vs. rifle... i have a range/accuracy advantage
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #24 of 64
Although the Mosin-Nagants fielded some extremely effective scoped examples for precision shooting during WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, my choice among the bolt war dogs remains a Model 1914 Enfield. Love that ****-on-close. And I have a .22-250 Savage Striker that will change you mind about four hundred yard pistol accuracy.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #25 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
guns.......

I never played with one of those before.....

guns......

And with any luck, you won't. You might end up doing self-piercings with it.

Mar 2, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
Although the Mosin-Nagants fielded some extremely effective scoped examples for precision shooting during WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, my choice among the bolt war dogs remains a Model 1914 Enfield. Love that ****-on-close. And I have a .22-250 Savage Striker that will change you mind about four hundred yard pistol accuracy.
evil_smiley.gif

You should try the real British Enfields. I prefer the No.4's becaue of the micrometer rear aperture sight. 10 round mag, **** on close, and a very short bolt length.

Mar 2, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #27 of 64
Quote:

You should try the real British Enfields. I prefer the No.4's becaue of the micrometer rear aperture sight. 10 round mag, **** on close, and a very short bolt length.

I've shot a lot of SMLEs, and the .303 is a great cartridge (ask any Russian Aghani veteran
evil_smiley.gif
), but the current stock of No. 4s are pretty grubby compared to the ones I remember from the 70s. And the '.06 is "the one true cartridge"
biggrin.gif
The surplus .303 currently available is largely dreck; lots of 3 to 5 second hangfires in lots I've sampled. It's sad.
frown.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #28 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
I've shot a lot of SMLEs, and the .303 is a great cartridge (ask any Russian Aghani veteran
evil_smiley.gif
), but the current stock of No. 4s are pretty grubby compared to the ones I remember from the 70s. And the '.06 is "the one true cartridge"
biggrin.gif
The surplus .303 currently available is largely dreck; lots of 3 to 5 second hangfires in lots I've sampled. It's sad.
frown.gif

Yeah, I can only find the Pakistani .303 now and I've never heard a good thing about it. For a while I had a line on surplus South African .303 for about $14/50 and that is pretty good milsurp, but the guy ran out of it. So for the moment I don't have any ammo for my Enfield, but the next best thing I've found in commercial ammo is the Hotshot brand which runs about $5/20 and if you order from Century you can get a flat shipping rate of $12.50 so that really keeps the cost down. I've been using Lake City surplus '06 but for now the best deals is still in the 8mm Mauser, wondering how much longer that can last though. I know what you mean though about the Enfields, most you find at decent prices are beaters. A nice looking one goes for around $400 usually, but I've seen some refinished ones that looked absolutely beautiful. I know a guy that just built a No. 4 from parts and since it did not have any collectible value he refinished the metal and the wood. Looks brand spankin new. Decent metal isn't too hard to find, probably harder to find a clean stock but I've never looked into it myself.

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #30 of 64
Quote:

I've been using Lake City surplus '06 but for now the best deals is still in the 8mm Mauser, wondering how much longer that can last though.

We brought in a couple or three cases of Russian .30-06 last winter and it has been dandy. Accurate, reliable, 50s production, and a nice brass boxer primed case. Look for the stuff that's 22 rounds to the box. One of the side benefits of losing a bunch of Garands, BARs, and M3s in Korea: the Russkies had to go into .30-06 production to utilize their "finds".
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back